help in fresh install

=?Utf-8?B?ZWQ=?=

help in fresh install
Hi: I just put together a computer, and am trying to do a fresh install of
vista home premium oem 32 bit. I have a ide 250 gig harddrive as well as a
400 gig sata drive and am installing from a sata dvd -rw.
so I start the install, it won't recognize the full size of eather
harddrive, will not even go near the ide drive.And when its finished
installing the files and does it's reset it just stays it the install loop,
The only way I got it to finish it's reset was to not do the partition and
format of the ide drive. And when I try to go to the sata drive for
installation what it does is make a boot drive and labels it "x". and of
course when it tries to boot for the first time it can't find the boot drive
because it's looking at the c drive or the cd-rom, and in order for it to
boot I have to put the install disk in the dvd drive.
So what am I missing here? Do I need a bigger ide drive for vista to
install to?
Would this fix the install problem or is there something else going on?
TheKnyte@gmail.com

Re: help in fresh install
On Apr 18, 7:26 pm, ed <e...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi: I just put together a computer, and am trying to do a fresh install of
> vista home premium oem 32 bit. I have a ide 250 gig harddrive as well as a
> 400 gig sata drive and am installing from a sata dvd -rw.
> so I start the install, it won't recognize the full size of eather
> harddrive, will not even go near the ide drive.And when its finished
> installing the files and does it's reset it just stays it the install loop,
> The only way I got it to finish it's reset was to not do the partition and
> format of the ide drive. And when I try to go to the sata drive for
> installation what it does is make a boot drive and labels it "x". and of
> course when it tries to boot for the first time it can't find the boot drive
> because it's looking at the c drive or the cd-rom, and in order for it to
> boot I have to put the install disk in the dvd drive.
> So what am I missing here? Do I need a bigger ide drive for vista to
> install to?
> Would this fix the install problem or is there something else going on?

What do you mean by "It won't regonize the full size of either hard
drive?"
That's normal, if say, you have a 250Gb Hard Drive, and Windows sees
it as a 233Gb. That's because Hard Drive manufacturers will tell you a
Kilobyte is 1,000 bytes. But Windows says a Kilobyte is 1,024 bytes.
Therefore, a Western Digital 250Gb Hard is 250,000,000,000 bytes, but
Windows thinks 250Gb is 256,000,000,000 bytes. That's the difference.

mikeyhsd

Re: help in fresh install
you should partition and format each drive before trying to install.
its possible you need to install drivers for the disks as part of the initial install process.
lots of people have problems installing to a sata because of driver issues.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net