No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista

TheCrusher

No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista

I am running two WD 160 gig HS's striped with XP pro on it. Iuse
Partition magic to create a second partition of 40 gigs to instal
Vista.After the instal it booted up to vista and I used it for a while
and it wanted to restart because of the updated it downloaded. When the
system restarted I never go a Window boot manager screen to ask whitch
OS i wanted to use. Ijust loads XP evry tim but if i put the Vista disc
in and restart and tell it to boot from the DVD and then hit instal it
will load but take like 5 minutes or so. Does anyone have any ideas
about this. Lost in Vistaland !!

--
TheCrusher
John Inzer

Re: No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista
TheCrusher wrote:
> I am running two WD 160 gig HS's striped with XP pro on it. Iuse
> Partition magic to create a second partition of 40 gigs to instal
> Vista.After the instal it booted up to vista and I used it for a while
> and it wanted to restart because of the updated it downloaded. When
> the system restarted I never go a Window boot manager screen to ask
> whitch OS i wanted to use. Ijust loads XP evry tim but if i put the
> Vista disc in and restart and tell it to boot from the DVD and then
> hit instal it will load but take like 5 minutes or so. Does anyone
> have any ideas about this. Lost in Vistaland !!

==============================
Maybe the following link will be useful:

VistaBootPRO
http://www.vistabootpro.org/index.php
(scroll down to the download link)

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Don

TheCrusher wrote:
> I am running two WD 160 gig HS's striped with XP pro on it. Iuse
> Partition magic to create a second partition of 40 gigs to instal
> Vista...

We have heard from several posters that they've had problems with
Partition Magic and Vista. I think PM is not yet compatible with
Vista. I would suggest that you delete your Vista partition and
let the Vista install DVD create and format a new Vista partition.
(Do *not* use XP to create or format your Vista partition, for the
same reasons.)

TheCrusher

Re: No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista

Thanks Don ! I tried to create a new partition with Vista but no luck
with that. Can you sugest a partition program. I downloaded Gparted
live CD iso but it won't burn. Thanks again

TheCrusher wrote:
> Thanks Don ! I tried to create a new partition with Vista but no luck
> with that. Can you sugest a partition program. I downloaded Gparted
> live CD iso but it won't burn. Thanks again

=====================
Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0
http://tinyurl.com/3rmdw

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Don

TheCrusher wrote:
> Thanks Don ! I tried to create a new partition with Vista but no luck
> with that.

Well, that's a puzzle that I can't answer. Assuming there is space on
that disk which is unallocated, there is no reason the Vista installer
should fail. Can you supply details, error messages, etc?

> Can you sugest a partition program. I downloaded Gparted
> live CD iso but it won't burn. Thanks again

I suspect that Gparted is not yet Vista-aware, but I'm anxious for
some Vista guru to confirm/deny. Meanwhile, I know that Acronis
Disk Director (build 2160 *only*) is Vista-aware and will do what
you need. But, I emphasize again that the Vista install DVD should
also be able to do likewise, which suggests to me that there is an
unknown problem which could most likely be solved without any third-
party programs.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista
FWIW I have no problems with VISTA installed in a partition created
previous to installation using PM8.

As someone suggested, try using VISTABootPro to check out the startup
menu timings. I installed that on my XP partiton before installing
VISTA.

thecreator

Re: No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista
Hi TheCrusher,

Check your Computer Bios and the Boot Order of the Hard Drives. You have
two, posted below. Somehow, they may have flipped-flopped on you, if you
aren't exactly sure which Hard Drive contains the Boot Manager.

--
thecreator

"TheCrusher" <TheCrusher.2p9ii3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I am running two WD 160 gig HS's striped with XP pro on it. Iuse
> Partition magic to create a second partition of 40 gigs to instal
> Vista.After the instal it booted up to vista and I used it for a while
> and it wanted to restart because of the updated it downloaded. When the
> system restarted I never go a Window boot manager screen to ask whitch
> OS i wanted to use. Ijust loads XP evry tim but if i put the Vista disc
> in and restart and tell it to boot from the DVD and then hit instal it
> will load but take like 5 minutes or so. Does anyone have any ideas
> about this. Lost in Vistaland !!
>

> --
> TheCrusher

Bert Kinney

Re: No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista
Bootit NG (BING) is a very good choice. BING is totally OS independent.

Boot Manager, Partition Manager, and Drive Image Utility - BootIt Next
Generation
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

The following page addresses the issue of lost restore points in vista when
booting to XP.
Dual Booting Windows Vista & Windows XP:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

TheCrusher wrote:
> Thanks Don ! I tried to create a new partition with Vista but no luck
> with that. Can you sugest a partition program. I downloaded Gparted
> live CD iso but it won't burn. Thanks again

Roedy Green

Re: No Boot manager after install Xp Pro then Vista
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:53:15 -0700, Don <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote,

> Meanwhile, I know that Acronis
>Disk Director (build 2160 *only*) is Vista-aware and will do what
>you need.

The problem with Acronis multiboot is that in requires an intact set
of boot sectors to work. You need to have done bootrec /mbr, bootrec
/fixboot and bootsect repairs. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/windowsvista.html#WONTBOOT

Unfortunately, Acer OEM Vista does not include the crucial
bootsect.exe. They will run it for you if you ship your computer back
to the factory and pay a fee.
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com