Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product key

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2007
=?Utf-8?B?c3RvbmVmaXNoZXI=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product key
I have vista ultimate. Currently i only have a 32bit processor. My question
is, Can i uninstall the 32bit vista, (install a core 2 duo,) install the
64bit vista and activate it using the same product key?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product key
Hi,

The Product Key would work with either version. But, if you only have a
32-bit processor than you cannot install the 64-bit version.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"stonefisher" <stonefisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FEEDC803-B7E6-470E-B9DB-997679155C95@microsoft.com...
>I have vista ultimate. Currently i only have a 32bit processor. My question
> is, Can i uninstall the 32bit vista, (install a core 2 duo,) install the
> 64bit vista and activate it using the same product key?
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2007
koze
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product key
Yes you can, but it might be needed to use the phone activation because it
was already activated.
But that should not be a problem.

Ko
"stonefisher" <stonefisher@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
news:FEEDC803-B7E6-470E-B9DB-997679155C95@microsoft.com...
>I have vista ultimate. Currently i only have a 32bit processor. My question
> is, Can i uninstall the 32bit vista, (install a core 2 duo,) install the
> 64bit vista and activate it using the same product key?
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2007
=?Utf-8?B?c3RvbmVmaXNoZXI=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product
That really dousnt answer the question. I plan to upgrade my pc in the future
and wish to know if i can change it from 32bit vista to 64bit viosya using
the same product key.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2007
=?Utf-8?B?c3RvbmVmaXNoZXI=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product
Just what i needed to hear thx.

"koze" wrote:

> Yes you can, but it might be needed to use the phone activation because it
> was already activated.
> But that should not be a problem.
>
> Ko
> "stonefisher" <stonefisher@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> news:FEEDC803-B7E6-470E-B9DB-997679155C95@microsoft.com...
> >I have vista ultimate. Currently i only have a 32bit processor. My question
> > is, Can i uninstall the 32bit vista, (install a core 2 duo,) install the
> > 64bit vista and activate it using the same product key?
> >
> >

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product
Hi,

That answer would be yes, you'll just need the 64-bit media. You hadn't
mentioned any upgrade previously, so I though it prudent to mention that you
can't install x64 on a 32-bit system (trust me, some have tried).

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"stonefisher" <stonefisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7318483B-433D-45E7-A57F-501930F5323B@microsoft.com...
> That really dousnt answer the question. I plan to upgrade my pc in the
> future
> and wish to know if i can change it from 32bit vista to 64bit viosya using
> the same product key.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2007
BobS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product key
Rick,

I tried to get your attention with another post (Sub: Ping - Rick Rogers)
but perhaps you didn't see it. It asked:

Rick,

Several weeks back you said you would get a reading from MS about using the
Vista host license for a virtual system. As you'll recall, there was a long
thread about this.

Any word from MS ?

Thanks,

Bob S.




Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product key
No response as yet, but thanks for the reminder to do another follow-up.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
news:OTpa1qogHHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Rick,
>
> I tried to get your attention with another post (Sub: Ping - Rick Rogers)
> but perhaps you didn't see it. It asked:
>
> Rick,
>
> Several weeks back you said you would get a reading from MS about using
> the
> Vista host license for a virtual system. As you'll recall, there was a
> long
> thread about this.
>
> Any word from MS ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.
>
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can i upgrade vista 32bit to vista 64bit with the same product
"stonefisher" <stonefisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> That really dousnt answer the question. I plan to upgrade my pc in the
> future
> and wish to know if i can change it from 32bit vista to 64bit viosya using
> the same product key.


Depends on what you mean by "change" it from 32bit Vista to 64bit. Yes the
same product key will work on either version, but there is no upgrade path
from 32bit to 64bit. 64bit Vista will have to be installed clean.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista Home Premium 32bit Upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64bit Night Owl microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 03-10-2007 18:06
Can you upgrade from 32bit Vista to 64bit using Anytimeupgrade? =?Utf-8?B?QW55dGltZXVwZ3JhZGUgZnJvbSAzMiBiaXQgdG8gNjQgYml0Pw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 03-07-2007 06:50
Does a Vista Upgrade kill the XP product key? Barry Watzman microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 02-13-2007 05:31
32bit vs 64bit and activation key =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBFaWNrZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 01-19-2007 23:02
Changing Product Key - Vista Upgrade? =?Utf-8?B?cm9iZw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 12-18-2006 21:39




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120