Memory Management blue screen error

Brandonlee

Memory Management blue screen error

For the past 4 months, I've been repeatedly getting a blue screen
telling me I have a Memory Management error after playing games on my
computer for random amounts of time and rarely when I watch videos.
Unfortunately after I get the blue screen, it restarts my computer so I
haven't been able to see if I've had a major memory usage spike, but I
have used the windows memory diagnostics to test my ram and it says no
problems were detected. I've also tried to simply format my hard drive
and reinstall vista, just in case a virus was causing it, but it didn't
fix anything.

I don't understand what caused it since I haven't downloaded or
installed any new software or hardware and the first time it happened, I
had already been playing a game for a few hours.

I have:
Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop
Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2310
2.50 GB ram
Windows vista home premium 32 bit

Any help into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

--
Brandonlee
DL

Re: Memory Management blue screen error
Have you tweeked the Bios settings?
www.memtest.org have a bootable memory testing utility

"Brandonlee" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> For the past 4 months, I've been repeatedly getting a blue screen
> telling me I have a Memory Management error after playing games on my
> computer for random amounts of time and rarely when I watch videos.
> Unfortunately after I get the blue screen, it restarts my computer so I
> haven't been able to see if I've had a major memory usage spike, but I
> have used the windows memory diagnostics to test my ram and it says no
> problems were detected. I've also tried to simply format my hard drive
> and reinstall vista, just in case a virus was causing it, but it didn't
> fix anything.
>
> I don't understand what caused it since I haven't downloaded or
> installed any new software or hardware and the first time it happened, I
> had already been playing a game for a few hours.
>
> I have:
> Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop
> Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2310
> 2.50 GB ram
> Windows vista home premium 32 bit
>
> Any help into the matter would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Brandonlee

Rick Rogers

Re: Memory Management blue screen error
I would strongly recommend an overnight burn in test to see if the memory
can sustain repeated utilitization.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have you tweeked the Bios settings?
> www.memtest.org have a bootable memory testing utility
>
> "Brandonlee" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> For the past 4 months, I've been repeatedly getting a blue screen
>> telling me I have a Memory Management error after playing games on my
>> computer for random amounts of time and rarely when I watch videos.
>> Unfortunately after I get the blue screen, it restarts my computer so I
>> haven't been able to see if I've had a major memory usage spike, but I
>> have used the windows memory diagnostics to test my ram and it says no
>> problems were detected. I've also tried to simply format my hard drive
>> and reinstall vista, just in case a virus was causing it, but it didn't
>> fix anything.
>>
>> I don't understand what caused it since I haven't downloaded or
>> installed any new software or hardware and the first time it happened, I
>> had already been playing a game for a few hours.
>>
>> I have:
>> Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop
>> Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2310
>> 2.50 GB ram
>> Windows vista home premium 32 bit
>>
>> Any help into the matter would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> --
>> Brandonlee

Curious

Re: Memory Management blue screen error
Apparently you have Automatically Restart enabled in Advanced System
properties. If yes disable it.

"Brandonlee" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> For the past 4 months, I've been repeatedly getting a blue screen
> telling me I have a Memory Management error after playing games on my
> computer for random amounts of time and rarely when I watch videos.
> Unfortunately after I get the blue screen, it restarts my computer so I
> haven't been able to see if I've had a major memory usage spike, but I
> have used the windows memory diagnostics to test my ram and it says no
> problems were detected. I've also tried to simply format my hard drive
> and reinstall vista, just in case a virus was causing it, but it didn't
> fix anything.
>
> I don't understand what caused it since I haven't downloaded or
> installed any new software or hardware and the first time it happened, I
> had already been playing a game for a few hours.
>
> I have:
> Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop
> Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2310
> 2.50 GB ram
> Windows vista home premium 32 bit
>
> Any help into the matter would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Brandonlee

Brandonlee

Re: Memory Management blue screen error

The only thing I've done with the bios was change the boot sequence to
have my CD Rom as first preference so I could reinstall vista. I've
always been afraid to mess with the bios much since I really don't know
much about it.

Also, I did have the auto reboot box checked. It's unchecked now so
hopefully I can get back to you with the memory info next time it
hapens.

--
Brandonlee
Curious

Re: Memory Management blue screen error
What is the configuration of you 2.5GB of RAM?
Vista does not like RAM that does not all operate at the same speed. So
when using DDR2 RAM you should only use a matched set of 1GB RAM to get to
2GB.
I suggest that you consider downgrading to to 2GB.

> The only thing I've done with the bios was change the boot sequence to
> have my CD Rom as first preference so I could reinstall vista. I've
> always been afraid to mess with the bios much since I really don't know
> much about it.
>
> Also, I did have the auto reboot box checked. It's unchecked now so
> hopefully I can get back to you with the memory info next time it
> hapens.
>

> --
> Brandonlee

Peter Foldes

Re: Memory Management blue screen error
Brandonlee

Run the memtest as suggested by others. Try not looking for a quick fix . You have a
problem with the memory on your computer

--
Peter

"Brandonlee" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> The only thing I've done with the bios was change the boot sequence to
> have my CD Rom as first preference so I could reinstall vista. I've
> always been afraid to mess with the bios much since I really don't know
> much about it.
>
> Also, I did have the auto reboot box checked. It's unchecked now so
> hopefully I can get back to you with the memory info next time it
> hapens.
>

> --
> Brandonlee

Brandonlee

Re: Memory Management blue screen error

That could be the problem then. I have a (DDR2) 2GB RAM I installed
myself and a 512 MB RAM from the factory. Because I don't have the
other factory 512 RAM card anymore, would it hurt to use the 2GB card
and have the second ram slot empty until I can buy another?

Curious;1075550 Wrote:
> What is the configuration of you 2.5GB of RAM?
> Vista does not like RAM that does not all operate at the same speed.
> So
> when using DDR2 RAM you should only use a matched set of 1GB RAM to get
> 2GB.
> I suggest that you consider downgrading to to 2GB.

--
Brandonlee
Curious

Re: Memory Management blue screen error
No it would not hurt and you don't want to install a second memory stick
unless it is exactly the same part number as the first one otherwise you
will not have a matched pair. And even then it may cause a problem since
they were not purchased together.

> That could be the problem then. I have a (DDR2) 2GB RAM I installed
> myself and a 512 MB RAM from the factory. Because I don't have the
> other factory 512 RAM card anymore, would it hurt to use the 2GB card
> and have the second ram slot empty until I can buy another?
>
> Curious;1075550 Wrote:
>> What is the configuration of you 2.5GB of RAM?
>> Vista does not like RAM that does not all operate at the same speed.
>> So
>> when using DDR2 RAM you should only use a matched set of 1GB RAM to get
>> 2GB.
>> I suggest that you consider downgrading to to 2GB.
>>

> --
> Brandonlee

Brandonlee

Re: Memory Management blue screen error

I guess that's what the problem was, I removed the older RAM and I
haven't gotten any more Memory Management errors. Thanks for the help!