Thanks your posts just saved me a bunch of money!

=?Utf-8?B?U01PS0U=?=

Thanks your posts just saved me a bunch of money!
After reading the increadably slow forum on windows vista this is what I
decided:
1. Order my new laptop with the cheapest version of vista I can get.
2. erase and reload it with WinXP..
3. Hope it never dies till vista gets a "classic" interface..
I don't need stuff flying around and soft and fuzzy, if I did I would buy a
Mac.. I want a simple clean interface that gets me to my games and programs,
thats all..
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Thanks your posts just saved me a bunch of money!
Why not order a laptop with XP installed? Dell and Lenovo still supply
them.

You may find it difficult or impossible to get XP drivers for a laptop
that came with VISTA installed -- laptops use a lot of customisation.

Steve Urbach

Re: Thanks your posts just saved me a bunch of money!
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:37:04 -0400, Hugh Wyn Griffith
<huwyngr@unspam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>Why not order a laptop with XP installed? Dell and Lenovo still supply
>them.
>
>You may find it difficult or impossible to get XP drivers for a laptop
>that came with VISTA installed -- laptops use a lot of customisation.

Second these thoughts.
You have a /better/ chance of upgrade drivers, than down grade drivers
for NEW hardware.
Many manufacturers are removing access to (really )older (O/S)
drivers, even if that was the O/S version originally installed.
We are /not/ talking about improving existing drivers, just offering
replacement for lost/damage distribution media.

Funny thing is I installed Ubuntu without a (driver) problem on a Old
Dell G1 that was missing some W95 system board drivers. All I had to
do was Max out the RAM to 256M.
I am now busy learning basics of dealing with modern Linux (used Unix
many years ago).
Installed a cheap 7.1 sound card. No problem, it just works (Still
don't have Vista drivers for my Turtle beach DDL card). My Brother
network MFC printer did take some careful hand holding to get working
properly. My HP JetDirect attached Deskjet just works after a simple
"Add Printer".
USB drives work.
A old Netgear 10/100 card works.

I might turn into a Linux bigot if this good luck keeps up <G>

GreenieLeBrun

"SMOKE" <SMOKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After reading the increadably slow forum on windows vista this is what I
> decided:
> 1. Order my new laptop with the cheapest version of vista I can get.
> 2. erase and reload it with WinXP..
> 3. Hope it never dies till vista gets a "classic" interface..
> I don't need stuff flying around and soft and fuzzy, if I did I would buy
> Mac.. I want a simple clean interface that gets me to my games and
> programs,
> thats all..

Vista has the classic interface for both the desktop and the task bar. Using
this you will get animprovement in performance