Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall

luser2

Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall

Hi, I have tried all the official and miscrosoft published instructions
on uninstalling SP2 Release Candidate for Vista Ultimate (in my case 32
bit). I have tried with tech support. So I have really gone the extra
mile.

I have very compelling reasons to not perform a new installation
because of lost set up programs and keys which are essential to my
business. I do have backups which go back before the SP2 installation
(Release candidate). Is there no way or does anyone have knowlege of
maybe just the directories or files I would need to reinstall; to
uninstall RC 2 for Vista ?

Is there any automated tool ? Any suggestions ?

Much appreciated for any help, in advance.

Thanks

--
luser2
Trevor Clarkson

Re: Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall
luser2 wrote:
> Hi, I have tried all the official and miscrosoft published instructions
> on uninstalling SP2 Release Candidate for Vista Ultimate (in my case 32
> bit). I have tried with tech support. So I have really gone the extra
> mile.
>
> I have very compelling reasons to not perform a new installation
> because of lost set up programs and keys which are essential to my
> business. I do have backups which go back before the SP2 installation
> (Release candidate). Is there no way or does anyone have knowlege of
> maybe just the directories or files I would need to reinstall; to
> uninstall RC 2 for Vista ?
>
> Is there any automated tool ? Any suggestions ?
>
> Much appreciated for any help, in advance.
>
> Thanks

I also had this problem recently because my new computer had been
installed (by me) from scratch with the SP2 RC.

I solved it by performing an "Upgrade" installation.

All of my data was retained.
The vast majority of my programs still worked but there were some
problems with my HP Printer and scanner.

The most annoying thing was that my desktop customisations disappeared
and I had to recreate them manually.

As to the programs and devices which did not work, I just reinstalled them.

Unfortunately I did not take a note of the failing programs and devices
so cannot be more specific.

Trevor
luser2

Re: Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall

Thanks for replying, thats my fear that I lose some program
functionality with critical programs. Also I made the mistake of
upgrading with a vista anytime upgrade disc, to reinstall you have to
reinstall the version of vista that came with your computer and then
reinstall it. I have the old folders if I knew the names of where the
uninstall info is. Then again it may be too extensive to simply get the
directory names. Somethign in the registry or in a temp folder or
something must have been erased. If I could only rebuild it long enough
to fix it.
Thanks for replying

--
luser2
luser2

Re: Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall

Quick Question ? Why would it not work to re-install the service pack or
repair it. Which should put back the Release candidate 2 files that may
have been deleted.. Then uninstall it again ? Is that a possibility ?

--
luser2
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall
This is why you do not install beta (release candidates are still betas)
software on critical production systems. If it will not uninstall, you will
likely be forced to format and revert to a preinstall backup.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"luser2" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for replying, thats my fear that I lose some program
> functionality with critical programs. Also I made the mistake of
> upgrading with a vista anytime upgrade disc, to reinstall you have to
> reinstall the version of vista that came with your computer and then
> reinstall it. I have the old folders if I knew the names of where the
> uninstall info is. Then again it may be too extensive to simply get the
> directory names. Somethign in the registry or in a temp folder or
> something must have been erased. If I could only rebuild it long enough
> to fix it.
> Thanks for replying
>

> --
> luser2

Ray Luca

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>This is why you do not install beta (release candidates are still betas)
>software on critical production systems. If it will not uninstall, you will
>likely be forced to format and revert to a preinstall backup.

Whch he wrote knowing full well that you have no such backup.
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall
From the original post:

"Ray Luca" <rayluca@mmann.invalid> wrote in message
> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>This is why you do not install beta (release candidates are still betas)
>>software on critical production systems. If it will not uninstall, you
>>will
>>likely be forced to format and revert to a preinstall backup.

> Whch he wrote knowing full well that you have no such backup.

luser2

Re: Vista SP2 RC will not uninstall

I do have backups, I do know that Release candidate is a Beta. But it is
not the first Beta so I didn't want to confuse anyone, though the first
beta uninstalled with no problems.

It just seems logically if I knew the directories that I could
reinstall to. I migth be able to solve this without going to extreme
measures which I would survive but it would save me a ton of work if I
didnt have to reinstall Vista Supreme then do a anytime upgrade to vista
ultimate, and then install all the servive packs and updates to date.

But Thanks.

--
luser2