Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista

Reets

Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista
Hi folks. I'm looking for information regarding the migration of local
accounts to domain accounts with Vista. I found a lot of information
regarding the USMT but no information on how to use it. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Kerry Brown

Re: Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista
Have you seen this link?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...32(WS.10).aspx

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Reets" <reets@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> Hi folks. I'm looking for information regarding the migration of local
> accounts to domain accounts with Vista. I found a lot of information
> regarding the USMT but no information on how to use it. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks.

Reets

Re: Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista
Yeah I have. I've been working off of it all day and I still can't get
things moved. I will give you some more information and maybe you can help.
I have a computer called "gateway" with a user called smith that has a local
profile. I joined the computer to a domain called "home". The users'
domain name is smith as well. All I want to do is migrate his local "smith"
account to his domain account "home\smith". That's it. I don't' know why
this is so difficult. Moveuser was much easier to use. Help would be
greatly appreciated. I'm trying to do this in some automated fashion as
well so other computers can be done without all this trouble. thanks for
your response.

> Have you seen this link?
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...32(WS.10).aspx
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Reets" <reets@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> Hi folks. I'm looking for information regarding the migration of local
>> accounts to domain accounts with Vista. I found a lot of information
>> regarding the USMT but no information on how to use it. Any help would
>> be appreciated. Thanks.

Kerry Brown

Re: Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista
If you are truly using a domain name of HOME that may be part of the
problem. Single level domain names are not a good idea. You can run into
many problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684

If you are just moving one user it's much easier to use Windows Easy
Transfer. Log on as the workgroup user. Save the files and settings to a USB
drive or a folder on the hard drive using WET. Log on as the domain user and
import the files and settings using WET.

If you want to automate it then USMT is the way. How many users do you have
to migrate?

--

> Yeah I have. I've been working off of it all day and I still can't get
> things moved. I will give you some more information and maybe you can
> help. I have a computer called "gateway" with a user called smith that has
> a local profile. I joined the computer to a domain called "home". The
> users' domain name is smith as well. All I want to do is migrate his
> local "smith" account to his domain account "home\smith". That's it. I
> don't' know why this is so difficult. Moveuser was much easier to use.
> Help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to do this in some
> automated fashion as well so other computers can be done without all this
> trouble. thanks for your response.

>> Have you seen this link?
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...32(WS.10).aspx
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

>> "Reets" <reets@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>>> Hi folks. I'm looking for information regarding the migration of local
>>> accounts to domain accounts with Vista. I found a lot of information
>>> regarding the USMT but no information on how to use it. Any help would
>>> be appreciated. Thanks.

Reets

Re: Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista
Hi Kerry,

The domain is actually home.local. The amount of users could be 35. I'm
doing a test run now and I've never had any luck with it. I'm aware of using
WET but I need to get this working in this environment in an automated
fashion and the only way seems to be USMT. Looking for help wiht that.
Thanks for your continued posts.
--
Reets

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> If you are truly using a domain name of HOME that may be part of the
> problem. Single level domain names are not a good idea. You can run into
> many problems.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684
>
> If you are just moving one user it's much easier to use Windows Easy
> Transfer. Log on as the workgroup user. Save the files and settings to a USB
> drive or a folder on the hard drive using WET. Log on as the domain user and
> import the files and settings using WET.
>
> If you want to automate it then USMT is the way. How many users do you have
> to migrate?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "Reets" <reets@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> > Yeah I have. I've been working off of it all day and I still can't get
> > things moved. I will give you some more information and maybe you can
> > help. I have a computer called "gateway" with a user called smith that has
> > a local profile. I joined the computer to a domain called "home". The
> > users' domain name is smith as well. All I want to do is migrate his
> > local "smith" account to his domain account "home\smith". That's it. I
> > don't' know why this is so difficult. Moveuser was much easier to use.
> > Help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to do this in some
> > automated fashion as well so other computers can be done without all this
> > trouble. thanks for your response.
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
> >> Have you seen this link?
> >>
> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...32(WS.10).aspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Kerry Brown

Re: Migrate Local to domain profiles with Vista
You might find some guidance in these searches.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...meta=&aq=f&oq=

http://www.bing.com/search?q=usmt+sc...=QBLH&filt=all

Every situation will be slightly different. The only way someone could give
you step by step guidance is if they were sitting at one of the machines to
be migrated. Let us know how you make out with this. If you have problems
with a script post the script and any error messages.