VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies

John L

VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies
Vista Ultimate - Win SBS R2 Domain member
Symantec Anti-virus Corporate edition
ISA firewall client

I have 2 vista systems on my small home network. I tried the push update of
SP1 and it failed and I tried the downloaded SP1 and it failed with the
usual error codes. I wnet through KB947366 and actually got the long install
but it failed in pass 3.

My other system had no problems and is at SP2. Both vista systems have
nearly the same applications and both are domain members.

What can I do to get SP1 installed. I did not realize it was behind in
service packs.

Any help appreciated. If there is a special forum for this please let me
know and I will post there.

--

*****************
John Lenz

Tae Song

Re: VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies

"John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Vista Ultimate - Win SBS R2 Domain member
> Symantec Anti-virus Corporate edition
> ISA firewall client
>
> I have 2 vista systems on my small home network. I tried the push update
> of SP1 and it failed and I tried the downloaded SP1 and it failed with the
> usual error codes. I wnet through KB947366 and actually got the long
> install but it failed in pass 3.
>
> My other system had no problems and is at SP2. Both vista systems have
> nearly the same applications and both are domain members.
>
> What can I do to get SP1 installed. I did not realize it was behind in
> service packs.
>
> Any help appreciated. If there is a special forum for this please let me
> know and I will post there.
>

> --
>
> *****************
> John Lenz
> JohnLenz@comcast.net

If you tried all the remedies in KB947366

Then try mine...

Delete c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log (persistant copy is stored in
cbs.persist.log)

(if you can't delete it, reboot and try again or continue... deleting is
preferable as you a smaller log to deal with)

Run SFC /SCANNOW

If it saids something like it could repair all components...

Run findstr /c:"damaged" "C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log"

Peter Foldes

Re: VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies
John

>. I tried the push update of

Just trying to understand correctly

Are you trying to push the Update via GPO ?

--
Peter

"John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Vista Ultimate - Win SBS R2 Domain member
> Symantec Anti-virus Corporate edition
> ISA firewall client
>
> I have 2 vista systems on my small home network. I tried the push update of SP1
> and it failed and I tried the downloaded SP1 and it failed with the usual error
> codes. I wnet through KB947366 and actually got the long install but it failed in
> pass 3.
>
> My other system had no problems and is at SP2. Both vista systems have nearly the
> same applications and both are domain members.
>
> What can I do to get SP1 installed. I did not realize it was behind in service
> packs.
>
> Any help appreciated. If there is a special forum for this please let me know and
> I will post there.
>

> --
>
> *****************
> John Lenz
> JohnLenz@comcast.net

John L

Re: VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies
Peter,

On the SBS R2 I have SUS 3.0 SP1. It recommended install of SP1 for the one
PC ( I already applied SP1 & SP2 to the other Vista Ultimate system). That
process failed and then I downloaded SP1 and tried to apply and it failed as
well.

--

*****************
John Lenz

> John
>
>>. I tried the push update of

> Just trying to understand correctly
>
> Are you trying to push the Update via GPO ?
>

> --
> Peter

> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Vista Ultimate - Win SBS R2 Domain member
>> Symantec Anti-virus Corporate edition
>> ISA firewall client
>>
>> I have 2 vista systems on my small home network. I tried the push update
>> of SP1 and it failed and I tried the downloaded SP1 and it failed with
>> the usual error codes. I wnet through KB947366 and actually got the long
>> install but it failed in pass 3.
>>
>> My other system had no problems and is at SP2. Both vista systems have
>> nearly the same applications and both are domain members.
>>
>> What can I do to get SP1 installed. I did not realize it was behind in
>> service packs.
>>
>> Any help appreciated. If there is a special forum for this please let me
>> know and I will post there.
>>

>> --
>>
>> *****************
>> John Lenz
>> JohnLenz@comcast.net

John L

Re: VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies
THX, that did it. Now on to SP2!

--

*****************
John Lenz

"Tae Song" <tae_song@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Vista Ultimate - Win SBS R2 Domain member
>> Symantec Anti-virus Corporate edition
>> ISA firewall client
>>
>> I have 2 vista systems on my small home network. I tried the push update
>> of SP1 and it failed and I tried the downloaded SP1 and it failed with
>> the usual error codes. I wnet through KB947366 and actually got the long
>> install but it failed in pass 3.
>>
>> My other system had no problems and is at SP2. Both vista systems have
>> nearly the same applications and both are domain members.
>>
>> What can I do to get SP1 installed. I did not realize it was behind in
>> service packs.
>>
>> Any help appreciated. If there is a special forum for this please let me
>> know and I will post there.
>>

>> --
>>
>> *****************
>> John Lenz
>> JohnLenz@comcast.net
>>

> If you tried all the remedies in KB947366
>
> Then try mine...
>
> Delete c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log (persistant copy is stored in
> cbs.persist.log)
>
> (if you can't delete it, reboot and try again or continue... deleting is
> preferable as you a smaller log to deal with)
>
> Run SFC /SCANNOW
>
> If it saids something like it could repair all components...
>
> Run findstr /c:"damaged" "C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log"

Peter Foldes

Re: VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies
I do not follow. You are saying that you already applied SP1. So to which system are
you trying to apply SP1 to. Also are all the computers on the same Network

--
Peter

"John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
news98BF0A3-2E9F-4829-8201-56C516836B3B@microsoft.com...
> Peter,
>
> On the SBS R2 I have SUS 3.0 SP1. It recommended install of SP1 for the one PC ( I
> already applied SP1 & SP2 to the other Vista Ultimate system). That process failed
> and then I downloaded SP1 and tried to apply and it failed as well.
>
> --
>
> *****************
> John Lenz
> JohnLenz@comcast.net
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> John
>>
>>>. I tried the push update of

>> Just trying to understand correctly
>>
>> Are you trying to push the Update via GPO ?
>>

>> --
>> Peter

>> "John L" <JohnLenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Vista Ultimate - Win SBS R2 Domain member
>>> Symantec Anti-virus Corporate edition
>>> ISA firewall client
>>>
>>> I have 2 vista systems on my small home network. I tried the push update of SP1
>>> and it failed and I tried the downloaded SP1 and it failed with the usual error
>>> codes. I wnet through KB947366 and actually got the long install but it failed
>>> in pass 3.
>>>
>>> My other system had no problems and is at SP2. Both vista systems have nearly
>>> the same applications and both are domain members.
>>>
>>> What can I do to get SP1 installed. I did not realize it was behind in service
>>> packs.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated. If there is a special forum for this please let me know
>>> and I will post there.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> *****************
>>> John Lenz
>>> JohnLenz@comcast.net

John L

Re: VIsta SP1 fails to install - after trying remedies
Peter,

See Tae Song post - it is now fixed.

I have 2 Vista PC's on my small home server network. One went through SP1 &
SP2 with no problems. The second one stalled at SP1. This is now fixed.

--

John Lenz