Windows 7 RC

Gary Mears

Windows 7 RC
If I install Windows 7 RC on a separate partition and dual boot will there be
anyway in the future of converting the RC install to a full product install
once I have purchased the appropriate license when it becomes available?
PvdG42

Re: Windows 7 RC

"Gary Mears" <GaryMears@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I install Windows 7 RC on a separate partition and dual boot will there
> be
> anyway in the future of converting the RC install to a full product
> install
> once I have purchased the appropriate license when it becomes available?

AFAIK, no. You'll have to do a full install of the RTM.

David B.

Re: Windows 7 RC
This question is asked EVERY TIME a new version of Windows is on it's way.
It is advisable to format and clean install the RTM, you do not want to
"convert" or upgrade a beta installation.

"PvdG42" <pvdg@toadstool.edu> wrote in message

> "Gary Mears" <GaryMears@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If I install Windows 7 RC on a separate partition and dual boot will
>> there be
>> anyway in the future of converting the RC install to a full product
>> install
>> once I have purchased the appropriate license when it becomes available?

> AFAIK, no. You'll have to do a full install of the RTM.

Manny Weisbord

Re: Windows 7 RC
"David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote:

>This question is asked EVERY TIME a new version of Windows is on it's way.
>It is advisable to format and clean install the RTM, you do not want to
>"convert" or upgrade a beta installation.

Not only is it "advisable" in the case of Win7 - it's the only option.
nomore

Re: Windows 7 RC
According to most sources the current release candidate is not significantly
different than the final version will be.
Who knows.
In my experience the biggest problem with Win7 RC is driver issues,
particularly chipset drivers, as usual AMD more than Intel. By and large
most Vista 32 or 64 drivers will work with their Win7 counterparts, but by
and large is not 100%. Some drivers are indeed compatible but balk at being
installed on the "wrong" OS. When this happens Win7 usually offers to
reinstall the driver and makes whatever changes are necessary to get the
driver installed.
For a Microsoft product that kind of thing is utterly amazing: it actually
works. I congratulate Microsoft for finally getting something right.
I believe these kinds of installation issues are the biggest problems that
need to be ironed out in the final release of Win7. These are annoyances to
experienced users but deal-killers for most users.
While it is always advisable to do a fresh install of a new OS Win7 is
fundamentally Vista SP3 and I doubt there will be many problems with an
upgrade in place from the Win7 RC to the final version, let alone an upgrade
in place from Vista.
While in the past most users got a new OS in a new computer the economy is
such that Win7 upgrade sales, if Microsoft can restrain itself on pricing,
may surprise a lot of people. Microsoft actually has a very good product in
Win7 if they don't, as usual, screw the marketing pooch.

xgman

Re: Windows 7 RC

"nomore" wrote:

> According to most sources the current release candidate is not significantly
> different than the final version will be.
> Who knows.
> In my experience the biggest problem with Win7 RC is driver issues,
> particularly chipset drivers, as usual AMD more than Intel. By and large
> most Vista 32 or 64 drivers will work with their Win7 counterparts, but by
> and large is not 100%. Some drivers are indeed compatible but balk at being
> installed on the "wrong" OS. When this happens Win7 usually offers to
> reinstall the driver and makes whatever changes are necessary to get the
> driver installed.
> For a Microsoft product that kind of thing is utterly amazing: it actually
> works. I congratulate Microsoft for finally getting something right.
> I believe these kinds of installation issues are the biggest problems that
> need to be ironed out in the final release of Win7. These are annoyances to
> experienced users but deal-killers for most users.
> While it is always advisable to do a fresh install of a new OS Win7 is
> fundamentally Vista SP3 and I doubt there will be many problems with an
> upgrade in place from the Win7 RC to the final version, let alone an upgrade
> in place from Vista.
> While in the past most users got a new OS in a new computer the economy is
> such that Win7 upgrade sales, if Microsoft can restrain itself on pricing,
> may surprise a lot of people. Microsoft actually has a very good product in
> Win7 if they don't, as usual, screw the marketing pooch.

I understand that you may need to be already upgraded to one of the leaked
RTM line builds such as 7229 or 7232 or 7260 etc in order to be able to have
the "Upgrade" install within Win7 work. I am hoping that is the case even
though the advise to clean install abounds.

Tony TK is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows 7 RC
I see now that is also a problem of mine. I though I didnt need the leaked RTM line build and I was trying to upgrade install. Thanks a lot for the posts!