Windows Vista Upgraded from XP Pro getting BSOD

Johnny

Windows Vista Upgraded from XP Pro getting BSOD
Just upgraded from XP pro to Vista Enterprise. System will boot if ATA on
the bios is selected. Get a BSOD when AHCI is selected. I have iperformed
clean installs of Vista Enterprise on other drives using AHCI and everything
works fine. Does any one have any ideas on how to convert the upgraded
version to accept the AHCI selection.

Thanks,

Johnny
Tae Song

Re: Windows Vista Upgraded from XP Pro getting BSOD

"Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just upgraded from XP pro to Vista Enterprise. System will boot if ATA on
> the bios is selected. Get a BSOD when AHCI is selected. I have
> iperformed
> clean installs of Vista Enterprise on other drives using AHCI and
> everything
> works fine. Does any one have any ideas on how to convert the upgraded
> version to accept the AHCI selection.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Johnny

Do you know what motherboard you have installed?

Johnny

Re: Windows Vista Upgraded from XP Pro getting BSOD
It is a Dell E6500 Laptop. It is utilizing the Intel ICH9M/M-E2 Serial ATA
storage Controler 2928 and 292D. I know that the system can handle the
ESATA, ON new installes it works fine, it is only on the XP pro upgrade to
Vista it doesn't.

Johnny

> It is a Dell E6500 Laptop. It is utilizing the Intel ICH9M/M-E2 Serial
> ATA
> storage Controler 2928 and 292D. I know that the system can handle the
> ESATA, ON new installes it works fine, it is only on the XP pro upgrade to
> Vista it doesn't.
>
> Johnny
>
> "Tae Song" wrote:
>

>> "Johnny" <Johnny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Just upgraded from XP pro to Vista Enterprise. System will boot if ATA
>> > on
>> > the bios is selected. Get a BSOD when AHCI is selected. I have
>> > iperformed
>> > clean installs of Vista Enterprise on other drives using AHCI and
>> > everything
>> > works fine. Does any one have any ideas on how to convert the upgraded
>> > version to accept the AHCI selection.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Johnny

>> Do you know what motherboard you have installed?

First turn AHCI off in BIOS

Boot up into Vista

Vista has AHCI support builtin. This will turn on MSAHCI.

Run regedit

Search or go to this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click
Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Reboot, then go into BIOS and enable AHCI mode on.

Exit out of BIOS and reboot.

Once you get it working, you can install Intel's Matrix software and their
AHCI driver.

Hope this works for you. It worked for me.