Upgrade To Windows Vista

=?Utf-8?B?RHVmZmVyaW4=?=

Upgrade To Windows Vista
My computer came with a preinstalled version of windows xp professional with
a cd of operating system allowable to use for 2 cpus; which I bought shortly
after the release of windows xp. Will I be able to upgrade to windows Vista
with a upgrade version or I need to buy full retail version of windows Vista.
Please let me know.
=?Utf-8?B?anBmaWViZXI=?=

RE: Upgrade To Windows Vista
You can upgrade, but if your computer is that old (XP was released over 5
years ago), you probably shouldn't.
--
http://itsvista.com

"Dufferin" wrote:

> My computer came with a preinstalled version of windows xp professional with
> a cd of operating system allowable to use for 2 cpus; which I bought shortly
> after the release of windows xp. Will I be able to upgrade to windows Vista
> with a upgrade version or I need to buy full retail version of windows Vista.
> Please let me know.

pete

Re: Upgrade To Windows Vista
Might have been released 5 years ago but some people bought it last
week!!!!!
Dufferin...run the Vista Upgrade advisor from the Vista website or tell us
what your running in your machine
peter
"jpfieber" <jpfieber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can upgrade, but if your computer is that old (XP was released over 5
> years ago), you probably shouldn't.
> --
> http://itsvista.com
>

> "Dufferin" wrote:
>
>> My computer came with a preinstalled version of windows xp professional
>> with
>> a cd of operating system allowable to use for 2 cpus; which I bought
>> shortly
>> after the release of windows xp. Will I be able to upgrade to windows
>> Vista
>> with a upgrade version or I need to buy full retail version of windows
>> Vista.
>> Please let me know.

=?Utf-8?B?anBmaWViZXI=?=

Re: Upgrade To Windows Vista
True, but he said "I bought shortly after the release of windows xp". Do let
us know your specs, but despite what the advisor may tell you, it's my
opinion that unless you have 2GB of RAM, don't bother unless you're a gluten
for punishment.
--

"pete" wrote:

> Might have been released 5 years ago but some people bought it last
> week!!!!!
> Dufferin...run the Vista Upgrade advisor from the Vista website or tell us
> what your running in your machine
> peter
> "jpfieber" <jpfieber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You can upgrade, but if your computer is that old (XP was released over 5
> > years ago), you probably shouldn't.
> > --
> > http://itsvista.com
> >

> > "Dufferin" wrote:
> >
> >> My computer came with a preinstalled version of windows xp professional
> >> with
> >> a cd of operating system allowable to use for 2 cpus; which I bought
> >> shortly
> >> after the release of windows xp. Will I be able to upgrade to windows
> >> Vista
> >> with a upgrade version or I need to buy full retail version of windows
> >> Vista.
> >> Please let me know.

Rock

Re: Upgrade To Windows Vista
"Dufferin" <Dufferin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> My computer came with a preinstalled version of windows xp professional
> with
> a cd of operating system allowable to use for 2 cpus; which I bought
> shortly
> after the release of windows xp. Will I be able to upgrade to windows
> Vista
> with a upgrade version or I need to buy full retail version of windows
> Vista.
> Please let me know.

One clarification here. The OS you got is not good for installing on two
different computers. It means it can install on a system that has two
processors which means XP Pro. XP Home supports only a single processor.

Yes you can use an upgrade version of Vista. See this link for supported
upgrade paths.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

You can do an in place upgrade going to Vista Business or Ultimate. If you
want VHP (or Vista Basic, though I wouldn't expect this to be likely), you
can use an upgrade version but it has to be a clean install.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Upgrade To Windows Vista
"jpfieber" <jpfieber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> You can upgrade, but if your computer is that old (XP was released over 5
> years ago), you probably shouldn't.

> "Dufferin" wrote:
>
>> My computer came with a preinstalled version of windows xp professional
>> with
>> a cd of operating system allowable to use for 2 cpus; which I bought
>> shortly
>> after the release of windows xp. Will I be able to upgrade to windows
>> Vista
>> with a upgrade version or I need to buy full retail version of windows
>> Vista.
>> Please let me know.

Not necessarily true. This computer is 5 years old, a 2.53 GHz P4, with 1GB
PC800 RAM. It runs Ultimate just fine. The only change in hardware from
the original configuration is a different graphics card which was done some
time ago.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]