Transfer files

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZSBFYWdsZQ==?=

Transfer files
I don't have any of the cables talked about in any of the transfer threads. I
want to save my Outlook Express 6 files (operating system Windows XP) and
transfer them over to a new computer which is running Windows Vista. The new
computer hasn't arrived yet, but it doesn't appear from my research that
Outlook Express is on the Vista program. Even if Outlook Express isn't on the
Vista program, my Outlook Express files are important to me, which is why I
hope to transfer them to the new computer when it arrives. Any and all help
will be greatly appreciated.
John Inzer

Re: Transfer files
Lone Eagle wrote:
> I don't have any of the cables talked about in any of the transfer
> threads. I want to save my Outlook Express 6 files (operating system
> Windows XP) and transfer them over to a new computer which is running
> Windows Vista. The new computer hasn't arrived yet, but it doesn't
> appear from my research that Outlook Express is on the Vista program.
> Even if Outlook Express isn't on the Vista program, my Outlook
> Express files are important to me, which is why I hope to transfer
> them to the new computer when it arrives. Any and all help will be
> greatly appreciated.

=============================
Vista has Windows Mail which is the
next generation of Outlook Express.
The following links may be useful:

Windows Mail
http://tinyurl.com/2wlqnw

How do I back up my files and settings?
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZSBFYWdsZQ==?=

Re: Transfer files
Thank you for trying to help me out John. I'm not very knowledgeable with
computers, so I couldn't figure out how to redo the dbx files to try and save
them. I can find them via a search, but I can't actually locate them on my
hard drive. I guess I just don't have enough savvy to figure this mess out.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Lone Eagle wrote:
> > I don't have any of the cables talked about in any of the transfer
> > threads. I want to save my Outlook Express 6 files (operating system
> > Windows XP) and transfer them over to a new computer which is running
> > Windows Vista. The new computer hasn't arrived yet, but it doesn't
> > appear from my research that Outlook Express is on the Vista program.
> > Even if Outlook Express isn't on the Vista program, my Outlook
> > Express files are important to me, which is why I hope to transfer
> > them to the new computer when it arrives. Any and all help will be
> > greatly appreciated.

> =============================
> Vista has Windows Mail which is the
> next generation of Outlook Express.
> The following links may be useful:
>
> Windows Mail
> http://tinyurl.com/2wlqnw
>
> How do I back up my files and settings?
> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
>
> --
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

Re: Transfer files
Lone Eagle wrote:
> Thank you for trying to help me out John. I'm not very knowledgeable
> with computers, so I couldn't figure out how to redo the dbx files to
> try and save them. I can find them via a search, but I can't actually
> locate them on my hard drive. I guess I just don't have enough savvy
> to figure this mess out.

===============================
First...you may need to open a folder
and go to...Tools / Folder Options / View tab.
Tick..."Show Hidden Files and Folders" /
Apply / OK.

You don't need to *redo* the files...just
make a copy (right click / copy) of the
Outlook Express folder and burn it on a
CD or better yet...copy it to a USB
Flash Drive.

I just noticed my Outlook Express folder
is 478 MB...so be sure the media you
copy to is large enough to handle your file.

To find the folder the .dbx files are stored in...
open OE and go to...Tools / Options /
Maintenance tab / Store Folder button.

Typically they are found in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\>username<\
Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\
{11AA11AA-2222-1111-1A1A-11AA11A1
1A11}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Don't forget your Address Book "UserName.wab"

C:\Documents and Settings\>UserName<\
Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\
UserName.wab

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -