MSCONGIG Question

neil154

MSCONGIG Question
I am running Vista 64 and installed a program which apparently had a virus or
I got it using IE8. I found an entry in the start up tab that was causing a
problem. I went into the registry and deleted the item from the startup tab
and I also disabled it in the startup tab. The startup tab still shows the
item even though it is disabled and deleted from the registry.

Why does it still show in MSCONFIG and how do I delete it from the start up
entry
Rick Rogers

Re: MSCONGIG Question
Hi,

Look in the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista 64 and installed a program which apparently had a virus
>or
> I got it using IE8. I found an entry in the start up tab that was causing
> problem. I went into the registry and deleted the item from the startup
> tab
> and I also disabled it in the startup tab. The startup tab still shows
> the
> item even though it is disabled and deleted from the registry.
>
> Why does it still show in MSCONFIG and how do I delete it from the start
> up
> entry

Brink

Re: MSCONGIG Question

Hello Neil,

Using Method Three in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below, double check in
all of the registry locations to see if it may have more than one entry.
Afterwards, you may need to close and reopen msconfig to refresh it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
pufnstuff

Re: MSCONGIG Question
Download "script" to remove 'msconfig" Startup disabled items.
Line148 - right side

"neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista 64 and installed a program which apparently had a virus
>or
> I got it using IE8. I found an entry in the start up tab that was causing
> problem. I went into the registry and deleted the item from the startup
> tab
> and I also disabled it in the startup tab. The startup tab still shows
> the
> item even though it is disabled and deleted from the registry.
>
> Why does it still show in MSCONFIG and how do I delete it from the start
> up
> entry

neil154

Re: MSCONGIG Question
Thanks all for your help, I have removed the item. Unfortuneately, I still
have a problem. Every once in a while when I start IE8 I get the blue screen
of death. It can be several days or a week between the BSOD but I can not
figure out what addon or something else is causing it. It only happens when
I first start IE8. I tried uninstalling IE8 but it still happened with IE7.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.

"pufnstuff" wrote:

> Download "script" to remove 'msconfig" Startup disabled items.
> Line148 - right side

> "neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running Vista 64 and installed a program which apparently had a virus
> >or
> > I got it using IE8. I found an entry in the start up tab that was causing
> > problem. I went into the registry and deleted the item from the startup
> > tab
> > and I also disabled it in the startup tab. The startup tab still shows
> > the
> > item even though it is disabled and deleted from the registry.
> >
> > Why does it still show in MSCONFIG and how do I delete it from the start
> > up
> > entry

neil154

Re: MSCONGIG Question
I am guessing that I can one by one enable/disabe the addons to figure out
which one is causing me the problem. Once I figure out which one is the
problem, how do I delete it? I only see a way of disabling the addon not
deleting it.