clean install of vista with an upgrade dvd?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9kZCBNYXJrcw==?=

clean install of vista with an upgrade dvd?
I purchased a downloaded copy of vista today, and was having some issues with
installation process. After the 1st restart it would come to what I would
assume is the Vista Logo screen sans the Vista Logo, and then it would just
stay there. I would then restart the PC, and boot into the previous version
of Windows, which in my case is XP Media Center Edition. After some browsing
of the boards here, I have seen many posts regarding the clean install of
Vista with only the upgrade version. Am I correct in understanding that all
I have to do is skip the activation key page, and choose clean install? I
have also seen a few posts that state you have to go back and do a upgrade
over the clean install for the activation key to work. Is this true? I have
gone back and updated all of my drivers to Vista compatible ones (the ones
that will let me do it with XP installed anyway) and uninstall Norton 360
(which I can't figure out how to disable), and then try the upgrade path to
see if that works first, but if I have to I would like to try the clean
install if its possible. Thanks for your input,
Todd
Rock

Re: clean install of vista with an upgrade dvd?
"Todd Marks" <ToddMarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I purchased a downloaded copy of vista today, and was having some issues
>with
> installation process. After the 1st restart it would come to what I would
> assume is the Vista Logo screen sans the Vista Logo, and then it would
> just
> stay there. I would then restart the PC, and boot into the previous
> version
> of Windows, which in my case is XP Media Center Edition. After some
> browsing
> of the boards here, I have seen many posts regarding the clean install of
> Vista with only the upgrade version. Am I correct in understanding that
> all
> I have to do is skip the activation key page, and choose clean install? I
> have also seen a few posts that state you have to go back and do a upgrade
> over the clean install for the activation key to work. Is this true? I
> have
> gone back and updated all of my drivers to Vista compatible ones (the ones
> that will let me do it with XP installed anyway) and uninstall Norton 360
> (which I can't figure out how to disable), and then try the upgrade path
> see if that works first, but if I have to I would like to try the clean
> install if its possible. Thanks for your input,

See this article for a how to.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Barnett MVP

Re: clean install of vista with an upgrade dvd?
I haven't tried it personally, but it appears that it can be done the way
you describe.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Todd Marks" <ToddMarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased a downloaded copy of vista today, and was having some issues
>with
> installation process. After the 1st restart it would come to what I would
> assume is the Vista Logo screen sans the Vista Logo, and then it would
> just
> stay there. I would then restart the PC, and boot into the previous
> version
> of Windows, which in my case is XP Media Center Edition. After some
> browsing
> of the boards here, I have seen many posts regarding the clean install of
> Vista with only the upgrade version. Am I correct in understanding that
> all
> I have to do is skip the activation key page, and choose clean install? I
> have also seen a few posts that state you have to go back and do a upgrade
> over the clean install for the activation key to work. Is this true? I
> have
> gone back and updated all of my drivers to Vista compatible ones (the ones
> that will let me do it with XP installed anyway) and uninstall Norton 360
> (which I can't figure out how to disable), and then try the upgrade path
> see if that works first, but if I have to I would like to try the clean
> install if its possible. Thanks for your input,
> Todd

Don

Todd Marks wrote:
> ...try the upgrade path to
> see if that works first, but if I have to I would like to try the clean
> install if its possible...

Based on my reading in this group I would urge you to reverse that order
and try a clean install first, just to make sure you and your machine
are both happy with Vista. (Upgrading is fraught with unpredictable
perils at this early stage.)

John Barnett MVP

Re: clean install of vista with an upgrade dvd?
Problem is Don he needs a full version of Vista for that. Using the upgrade
option for a clean install relies upon a little trickery where Vista is
concerned. I could say 'confusion' but then Vista is already confused, so
I'll stick to trickery. Under normal circumstances you cannot do a clean
install from an upgrade DVD simply by running the DVD at startup.
But, yes I agree with you, a clean install is far better than an upgrade.
But, as many people are either not able to afford or unwilling to pay the
extra cost for a full retail version of the product, then an upgrade is
their only option.

--

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Todd Marks wrote:
>> ...try the upgrade path to
>> see if that works first, but if I have to I would like to try the clean
>> install if its possible...

> Based on my reading in this group I would urge you to reverse that order
> and try a clean install first, just to make sure you and your machine
> are both happy with Vista. (Upgrading is fraught with unpredictable
> perils at this early stage.)

Don

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> Problem is Don he needs a full version of Vista for that. Using the
> upgrade option for a clean install relies upon a little trickery where
> Vista is concerned. I could say 'confusion' but then Vista is already
> confused, so I'll stick to trickery. Under normal circumstances you
> cannot do a clean install from an upgrade DVD simply by running the DVD
> at startup.
> But, yes I agree with you, a clean install is far better than an
> upgrade. But, as many people are either not able to afford or unwilling
> to pay the extra cost for a full retail version of the product, then an
> upgrade is their only option.

What I was thinking (but neglected to write) is to do a clean install
without entering a product key, which will allow Todd to use Vista for
30 days legally while deciding if it works on his machine. (Yes, that
was a big mouthful that I left unsaid ;o)

=?Utf-8?B?VG9kZCBNYXJrcw==?=

Re: clean install of vista with an upgrade dvd?
Yes, that is what I was thinking. Then you just use the upgrade feature over
that, and the activation key will then be valid.