Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression feature

=?Utf-8?B?RC5MLiBCYXJ0b24=?=

Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression feature
I installed a 3rd party compression utility (RAR, I think) and didn't like
it. So, I uninstalled it. However, now the built-in Vista ZIP
compression/decompression features are completely missing. No Send To ->
Compressed File or Extract option in Windows Explorer. What's up? How do I
get these feature back??
JimR

Re: Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression feature
"D.L. Barton" <D.L. Barton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a 3rd party compression utility (RAR, I think) and didn't like
> it. So, I uninstalled it. However, now the built-in Vista ZIP
> compression/decompression features are completely missing. No Send To ->
> Compressed File or Extract option in Windows Explorer. What's up? How do I
> get these feature back??

Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ZIP
In the right pane double click Default and set the data to
"CompressedFolder" without the quotes.

--
Jim

R.A.R.

"JimR" wrote:

> "D.L. Barton" <D.L. Barton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed a 3rd party compression utility (RAR, I think) and didn't like
> > it. So, I uninstalled it. However, now the built-in Vista ZIP
> > compression/decompression features are completely missing. No Send To ->
> > Compressed File or Extract option in Windows Explorer. What's up? How do I
> > get these feature back??

> Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ZIP
> In the right pane double click Default and set the data to
> "CompressedFolder" without the quotes.
>
> --
> Jim

After I did all of that for some reason my .zip default remained my internet
browser. Also the registry had 2 other files;

Name: (Default) Type: REG_SZ Data: CompressedFolder
Name: Content Type Type: REG_SZ Data: application/x-zip-compressed
Name: PerceivedType Type: REG_SZ Data: compressed

Any ideas of what that all means????
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression feature
Try the .zip file association fix here.

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

--
Regards,

"JimR" wrote:

> "D.L. Barton" <D.L. Barton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed a 3rd party compression utility (RAR, I think) and didn't like
> > it. So, I uninstalled it. However, now the built-in Vista ZIP
> > compression/decompression features are completely missing. No Send To ->
> > Compressed File or Extract option in Windows Explorer. What's up? How do I
> > get these feature back??

> Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ZIP
> In the right pane double click Default and set the data to
> "CompressedFolder" without the quotes.
>
> --
> Jim

Would you happen to know how to change to the default application for
opening .zip files to the Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression
feature, because that didn't seem to work.
mtbchik

Re: Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression feature
Yes! I need this too!

> Would you happen to know how to change to the default application for
> opening .zip files to the Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression
> feature, because that didn't seem to work.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Windows Integrated (ZIP) Compression/Decompression feature
File association fixes for Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

--
Regards,

Yes! I need this too!