Switch back to Windows XP

=?Utf-8?B?Q1A=?=

Switch back to Windows XP
Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP OS.

Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:

A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow there steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
computer.

I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not virus
issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step solution. Thanks much..

CP
mikeyhsd

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
you cannot format your system drive while the system is running.
you need to boot from the XP disk and start the install from there, selecting to format the target partition.
check this ms kb article on returning to xp.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=933168&SD=tech

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBCD9FEB-5ED8-42DE-9DAD-652C66FE3874@microsoft.com...
[...]

Actually that's exactly what I've tried, booting from CD drive with a XP
installer CD in it.. sorry i didn't clarify that..

Any thought why I get the error message constantly?

Best,
CP

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> you cannot format your system drive while the system is running.
> you need to boot from the XP disk and start the install from there, selecting to format the target partition.
> check this ms kb article on returning to xp.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=933168&SD=tech
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBCD9FEB-5ED8-42DE-9DAD-652C66FE3874@microsoft.com...
> Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP OS.
>
> Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:
>
> A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
> to your computer.
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your
> computer. If this screen appears again, follow there steps:
>
> Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
> or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
> configured and terminated.
> Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
> computer.
>

> I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not virus
> issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step solution. Thanks much.

Chad Harris

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
Hi CP--

What you haven't stated is how did you get to Vista? Did you upgrade from
XP?

CH

"CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP OS.
>
> Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:
>
> A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent
> damage
> to your computer.
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your
> computer. If this screen appears again, follow there steps:
>
> Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
> drives
> or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is
> properly
> configured and terminated.
> Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
> computer.
>

> I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not virus
> issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step solution. Thanks
> much..
>
> CP

=?Utf-8?B?Q1A=?=

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
Hi Chad,

No, it's the original one came up with my new computer. I don't understand
why it's so freaking hard to reinstall a different OS which I've never had
this problems before in XP - all I want is reformatting to XP - I think Vista
really sucks besides the fancy interface and some cool functions.. I'm about
to fling it down.. help me out!!

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Hi CP--
>
> What you haven't stated is how did you get to Vista? Did you upgrade from
> XP?
>
> CH
>

> "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP OS.
> >
> > Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:
> >
> > A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent
> > damage
> > to your computer.
> >
> > If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your
> > computer. If this screen appears again, follow there steps:
> >
> > Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
> > drives
> > or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is
> > properly
> > configured and terminated.
> > Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
> > computer.
> >

> > I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not virus
> > issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step solution. Thanks
> > much..
> >
> > CP

Rock

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
"CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi Chad,
>
> No, it's the original one came up with my new computer. I don't
> understand
> why it's so freaking hard to reinstall a different OS which I've never had
> this problems before in XP - all I want is reformatting to XP - I think
> Vista
> really sucks besides the fancy interface and some cool functions.. I'm
> about
> to fling it down.. help me out!!

> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Hi CP--
>>
>> What you haven't stated is how did you get to Vista? Did you upgrade
>> from
>> XP?
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP OS.
>> >
>> > Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:
>> >
>> > A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent
>> > damage
>> > to your computer.
>> >
>> > If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart
>> > your
>> > computer. If this screen appears again, follow there steps:
>> >
>> > Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
>> > drives
>> > or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is
>> > properly
>> > configured and terminated.
>> > Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
>> > computer.
>> >

>> > I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not virus
>> > issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step solution. Thanks
>> > much..

Have you checked with the computer manufacturer to see if there are XP
drivers for this system? Not all new systems will have XP driver support.
Are these SATA drives? If so do you have the XP drivers for the SATA
controller on floppy disk, and did you install them early in the
installation process by pressing F6 when prompted? Here is a link on how to
do a clean install.

Why does it suck for you? Is it an issue of Vista doing some things
differently and you aren't sure about how to do that? There is a learning
curve to it. You could post specific questions and folks here are glad to
help.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Michael Solomon

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
CP wrote:
> Hi Chad,
>
> No, it's the original one came up with my new computer. I don't
> understand why it's so freaking hard to reinstall a different OS
> which I've never had this problems before in XP - all I want is
> reformatting to XP - I think Vista really sucks besides the fancy
> interface and some cool functions.. I'm about to fling it down..
> help me out!!
>

> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Hi CP--
>>
>> What you haven't stated is how did you get to Vista? Did you
>> upgrade from XP?
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP
>>> OS.
>>>
>>> Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:
>>>
>>> A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent
>>> damage
>>> to your computer.
>>>
>>> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree,
>>> restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow there
>>> steps:
>>>
>>> Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
>>> drives
>>> or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is
>>> properly
>>> configured and terminated.
>>> Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart
>>> your computer.
>>>

>>> I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not
>>> virus issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step
>>> solution. Thanks much..
>>>
>>> CP

At the XP setup screen that allows you to format, you also have the option
to delete and create a new partition. Delete the current Vista partition,
create a new partition, format and continue with XP setup. XP setup may be
having troubling recognizing the Vista partition, hence, it may be having
trouble formating the drive.

--
Michael Solomon

Chad Harris

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
Rock and Michael have given you the way to format with Rock's caveats, but
although I have been critical of some components of Vista, I think given
your investment in the new PC with the preloaded Vista you should give it a
little more time and a chance.

I will say this. On many levels Vista is a tip of the ice berg experience,
in that there is much more to it that meets the eye that is worthwhile, CP,
and not at all superficial. This company and all their talent ( a few
thousand people worked on Vista not to mention the TBTs and other groups),
didn't spend all these years IMHO to come up with so little. I'd give it
some time and if you have any problems, post them and someone will help.

Good luck,

CH

> Hi Chad,
>
> No, it's the original one came up with my new computer. I don't
> understand
> why it's so freaking hard to reinstall a different OS which I've never had
> this problems before in XP - all I want is reformatting to XP - I think
> Vista
> really sucks besides the fancy interface and some cool functions.. I'm
> about
> to fling it down.. help me out!!
>

> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Hi CP--
>>
>> What you haven't stated is how did you get to Vista? Did you upgrade
>> from
>> XP?
>>
>> CH
>>

>> "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP OS.
>> >
>> > Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:
>> >
>> > A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent
>> > damage
>> > to your computer.
>> >
>> > If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart
>> > your
>> > computer. If this screen appears again, follow there steps:
>> >
>> > Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard
>> > drives
>> > or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is
>> > properly
>> > configured and terminated.
>> > Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
>> > computer.
>> >

>> > I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not virus
>> > issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step solution. Thanks
>> > much..
>> >
>> > CP

mikeyhsd

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
you may have to delete and recreate the partition.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> you cannot format your system drive while the system is running.
> you need to boot from the XP disk and start the install from there, selecting to format the target partition.
> check this ms kb article on returning to xp.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=933168&SD=tech
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBCD9FEB-5ED8-42DE-9DAD-652C66FE3874@microsoft.com...
> Currently have Windows Vista OS but trying to switching back to XP OS.
>
> Whenever attempting to reformat, I see the error msg saying:
>
> A prolem has been detacted and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
> to your computer.
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, restart your
> computer. If this screen appears again, follow there steps:
>
> Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives
> or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly
> configured and terminated.
> Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your
> computer.
>

> I'm a rookie and don't know how to check drives. Definitely not virus
> issues. Would appreciate giving me a a step-by-step solution. Thanks much.

=?Utf-8?B?Q1A=?=

Re: Switch back to Windows XP
Thanks guys!
I found out the solution. It was the factory default setting for raid in
the system setup. It was previously 'ON'. I was be able to install the XP
after switching the option.

You're right, Chad. I only said that because I was so freaked out. I know
Vista is indeed awesome OS and I'll definitely take more time to get to know
better of it.

I appreciate all your supports guys.. Many thanks!

CP