DIVX rendering

dev

DIVX rendering
Installed the open source ffshow package for Vista, using the defaults.

Still, no DIVX movie will play. Weather via a browser, WMP or Media
Player Classic, the indication is that the codec is not installed.

What needs to be done to activiate ffshow for this purpose? Others
reportedly have succeeded.
DIVX itself supplies a codec, but it is not yet totally Vista compatible.
Conor

Re: DIVX rendering
In article <uPaEXGGgHHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, dev says...

> DIVX itself supplies a codec, but it is not yet totally Vista compatible.

Works fine on my computer.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
dev

Re: DIVX rendering
/Conor/ said:
> In article <uPaEXGGgHHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, dev says...
>
>> DIVX itself supplies a codec, but it is not yet totally Vista compatible.
>>

> Works fine on my computer.

The DIVX-supplied codec? Works fine here too, but for AERO, but I am
curious as to why ffdshow is not functioning.
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

RE: DIVX rendering
Dev:
There are two different packages of ffdshow hanging around on the net.
The one for Vista is the x64 one which works, of course, only with WMP x64.
WMPx64 is not the default WMP, which happens to be 32-bit.
Download ffdshow that can be used in Vista 32-bit and 64-bit with WMP 32bit
from here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
That's the one I have working in Vista x64, using the supplied WMP 32-bit.
Be sure to check the Divx box when installing it, or later on in Start,
Programs, ffdshow in both Video and VFW config.
Carlos

/Carlos/ said:

> Carlos
>
> "dev" wrote:
>
>> Installed the open source ffshow package for Vista, using the defaults.
>>
>> Still, no DIVX movie will play. Weather via a browser, WMP or Media
>> Player Classic, the indication is that the codec is not installed.
>>
>> What needs to be done to activiate ffshow for this purpose? Others
>> reportedly have succeeded.
>> DIVX itself supplies a codec, but it is not yet totally Vista compatible.

> There are two different packages of ffdshow hanging around on the net.
> The one for Vista is the x64 one which works, of course, only with WMP

x64.
> WMPx64 is not the default WMP, which happens to be 32-bit.
> Download ffdshow that can be used in Vista 32-bit and 64-bit with WMP

32bit
> from here:
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
> That's the one I have working in Vista x64, using the supplied WMP 32-bit.
> Be sure to check the Divx box when installing it, or later on in Start,
> Programs, ffdshow in both Video and VFW config.

Installed what appears to be the latest - per your recommendation.
Installed fine, and the defaults appear to include DIVX decoding.

Still, I.E., SeaMonkey (a cousin to FireFox), Media Player Classic and
WMP do not see the codec. The browsers prompt for the DIVX. com codec.

Perhaps some setting is blocking the action here?
As I said, earlier install of DIVX.com's codec did succeed, but only
when installed via I.E. Thereafter, it worked in SeaMonkey as well.
Richard Urban

Re: DIVX rendering
I am using the Divx codec pack version 6.2

I installed ***ONLY*** the codecs - nothing else. I can watch all Divx
movies.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

/Richard Urban/ said:

> I am using the Divx codec pack version 6.2
>
> I installed ***ONLY*** the codecs - nothing else. I can watch all Divx
> movies.

Thanks, Richard. I tested Divx 6.5 (I believe), and it worked - but for
Aero. Divx states that there are Vista incompatibilities.

What puzzles is why ffdshow, which succeeds for others, doesn't here.
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Re: DIVX rendering
Dev:
Maybe the presence of Divx codec (from www.divx.com) is tampering with
ffdshow.
This would be my last resort.
After installing ffdshow go to Start, Programs, ffdshow
Enter both the Video and VFW configurations.
Choose Codecs in both of them (left pane) and search for the Divx entry on
the right.
You should be reading something different from "disabled".
I am not at my PC right now but I think it should read something like
"libacodec" or so.
That way you make sure that ffdshow is the one in charge of Divx playback.
Try also doing a system restore to a previous state, where Divx from
www.divx.com was not installed.
Carlos

/Carlos/ said:
> "dev" wrote:
>> /Richard Urban/ said:
>>
>>> I am using the Divx codec pack version 6.2
>>>
>>> I installed ***ONLY*** the codecs - nothing else. I can watch all Divx
>>> movies.

>> Thanks, Richard. I tested Divx 6.5 (I believe), and it worked - but for
>> Aero. Divx states that there are Vista incompatibilities.
>>
>> What puzzles is why ffdshow, which succeeds for others, doesn't here.

> Dev:
> Maybe the presence of Divx codec (from www.divx.com) is tampering with
> ffdshow.
> This would be my last resort.
> After installing ffdshow go to Start, Programs, ffdshow
> Enter both the Video and VFW configurations.
> Choose Codecs in both of them (left pane) and search for the Divx entry on
> the right.
> You should be reading something different from "disabled".
> I am not at my PC right now but I think it should read something like
> "libacodec" or so.
> That way you make sure that ffdshow is the one in charge of Divx playback.
> Try also doing a system restore to a previous state, where Divx from
> www.divx.com was not installed.

Yo Carlos,

Settings are precisely as you stated, with both VFW and Video set to
DIVX libacodec. I even right-clicked on the field and "set all
supported formats to libavcodec."

No traces of the Divx codec have been present on the machine in any of
these ffdshow tests.

Guess it just wasn't meant to be.^ Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Re: DIVX rendering
Dev:
Additional info about the audio/video codecs embedded in your video file can
be obtained with a little freeware program called GSpot (latest version is
2.70a, works fine in Vista).
It might tell us something we are, somehow, not seeing here.
Give it a try, won't hurt.
Carlos