Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive

lilnis321

Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive

So here's the bottom line.

I have Vista 32 bit installed. I want to dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit.

I have the iso for the 64 bit (with license).

I partitioned my hdd to two parts so that I can install it on the other
part. I want it so that when the computer turns on I am given options
on what OS to load. Is there any way I can do this because I have no
DVD drive?

--
lilnis321
peter

Re: Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive
yes...buy and install a DVD drive

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"lilnis321" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> So here's the bottom line.
>
> I have Vista 32 bit installed. I want to dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit.
>

> I have the iso for the 64 bit (with license).
>
> I partitioned my hdd to two parts so that I can install it on the other
> part. I want it so that when the computer turns on I am given options
> on what OS to load. Is there any way I can do this because I have no
> DVD drive?
>

> --
> lilnis321

RalfG

Re: Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive
When you install 64 bit Windows as a dual boot it automatically installs a
boot manager. On booting the computer you'll get a screen appear for about
15 seconds offering you the choice of which OS to boot, with one of them
being the default if you're AFK. You can alter the options a bit from within
either version of Vista from the Advanced system settings - Startup and
Recovery. Or you can install a 3rd party boot manager to do much the same
thing but with more flexibility and some repair options in case they are
needed. Quad booting XP, Vista, and 2x Win7 partitions. I'd recommend
imaging/cloning your 32bit Vista partition just in case something goes
wrong, so that you can easily restore it.

I formatted, named and assigned drive letters for all my partitions in
advance of installing the alternate OS's. All but the Win7 64bit adhered to
the drive letter assignments that I had preset. The 64bit OS reassigned the
drives, making its own partition C: (IPO Z and lettering the other
partitions in sequence as it found them. Could have turned into a problem
but the change was restricted to only within the 64bit OS itself and the
others all kept using the original drive letter assignments.

"lilnis321" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> So here's the bottom line.
>
> I have Vista 32 bit installed. I want to dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit.
>

> I have the iso for the 64 bit (with license).
>
> I partitioned my hdd to two parts so that I can install it on the other
> part. I want it so that when the computer turns on I am given options
> on what OS to load. Is there any way I can do this because I have no
> DVD drive?
>

> --
> lilnis321

RalfG

Re: Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive

"lilnis321" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> So here's the bottom line.
>
> I have Vista 32 bit installed. I want to dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit.
>

> I have the iso for the 64 bit (with license).
>
> I partitioned my hdd to two parts so that I can install it on the other
> part. I want it so that when the computer turns on I am given options
> on what OS to load. Is there any way I can do this because I have no
> DVD drive?
>

> --
> lilnis321

Forgot the important part. You could install a virtual drive app to load
the ISO file. It will run in the virtual drive as if it was a disc in a real
DVD drive. You can run the Vista 64bit installer from within Vista 32bit.
Unless I'm mistaken by the time setup is ready to reboot the first time all
of the necessary Vista 64bit OS files will be on the harddrive already and
you won't need the virtual DVD again. Just make sure you have any 64bit
drivers handy that you might need for your hardware (ethernet, etc.).

Dave

Re: Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive
I just tried it, but you can't run the 64 bit Setup from 32 bit Win 7....
perhaps the other way 'round would work.

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"RalfG" <itsnotme@ladeda.deda> wrote in message

> "lilnis321" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> So here's the bottom line.
>>
>> I have Vista 32 bit installed. I want to dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit.
>>

>> I have the iso for the 64 bit (with license).
>>
>> I partitioned my hdd to two parts so that I can install it on the other
>> part. I want it so that when the computer turns on I am given options
>> on what OS to load. Is there any way I can do this because I have no
>> DVD drive?
>>

>> --
>> lilnis321

> Forgot the important part. You could install a virtual drive app to
> load the ISO file. It will run in the virtual drive as if it was a disc in
> a real DVD drive. You can run the Vista 64bit installer from within Vista
> 32bit. Unless I'm mistaken by the time setup is ready to reboot the first
> time all of the necessary Vista 64bit OS files will be on the harddrive
> already and you won't need the virtual DVD again. Just make sure you have
> any 64bit drivers handy that you might need for your hardware (ethernet,
> etc.).

RalfG

Re: Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive
That pretty much reduces your options to hooking up a DVD drive. If the
computer doesn't have space to mount one permanently you could still connect
a DVD multi function drive temporarily, long enough to burn and then boot
from a Win7 disc. An external DVD drive would be an option if the computer
is able to boot from USB.

"Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
> I just tried it, but you can't run the 64 bit Setup from 32 bit Win 7....
> perhaps the other way 'round would work.
>

> --
> Windows 7 beta
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>

> "RalfG" <itsnotme@ladeda.deda> wrote in message
>>
>> "lilnis321" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> So here's the bottom line.
>>>
>>> I have Vista 32 bit installed. I want to dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit.
>>>

>>> I have the iso for the 64 bit (with license).
>>>
>>> I partitioned my hdd to two parts so that I can install it on the other
>>> part. I want it so that when the computer turns on I am given options
>>> on what OS to load. Is there any way I can do this because I have no
>>> DVD drive?
>>>

>>> --
>>> lilnis321

>> Forgot the important part. You could install a virtual drive app to
>> load the ISO file. It will run in the virtual drive as if it was a disc
>> in a real DVD drive. You can run the Vista 64bit installer from within
>> Vista 32bit. Unless I'm mistaken by the time setup is ready to reboot the
>> first time all of the necessary Vista 64bit OS files will be on the
>> harddrive already and you won't need the virtual DVD again. Just make
>> sure you have any 64bit drivers handy that you might need for your
>> hardware (ethernet, etc.).

some_guy's Avatar

Location: Melbourne
some_guy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Need help dualbooting without DVD-Drive
If you have access to another computer (containing a cd/dvd drive)a network install could work. Being new to windows I assume thats possible, so far never met an os that couldn't net boot/install

Either way, a P-ATA DVD+RW costs about AUD$25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnis321 View Post