Operation Reinstallation: Questions that need answering! Please He

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGh5?=

Operation Reinstallation: Questions that need answering! Please He
I have upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium and like it very much, but I
want to reinstall it to get back hard drive space, speed and reliability. The
following question have arisen:

1. I have a 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade CD, can I reinstall?
2. Will my product need reactivating?
3.Will it touch my 140GB second hard drive or my 5GB second partion on my
185GB main hard drive?
4. Can I use easy transfer to move my files to the second hard drive and
restore it back after reinstallling windows?.
5. Can i get it to reformat my main partition on my first hard drive?

Thank you for your help today.
=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGh5?=

RE: Operation Reinstallation: Questions that need answering! Please He
To add on to my first list of questions:

1. Will there be a chance I could lose drives such as these half way through
the installation or afterwards:
a) the monitors driver
b) The DVD drives' drivers (have two)
c)The speakers' drivers or my computer's connection with it's sound card
(didn't when upgraded)
d) My wireless mouse and keyboard, (have a plug in mouse also but no plug in
keyboard)

2. I suppose I will have to reinstall drivers for the following
a) My printer
b) my Pocket PC
c) My digital camera and Webcam
d)

"Smithy" wrote:

> I have upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium and like it very much, but I
> want to reinstall it to get back hard drive space, speed and reliability. The
> following question have arisen:
>
> 1. I have a 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade CD, can I reinstall?
> 2. Will my product need reactivating?
> 3.Will it touch my 140GB second hard drive or my 5GB second partion on my
> 185GB main hard drive?
> 4. Can I use easy transfer to move my files to the second hard drive and
> restore it back after reinstallling windows?.
> 5. Can i get it to reformat my main partition on my first hard drive?
>
> Thank you for your help today.

Rock

"Smithy" <Smithy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium and like it very much, but I
> want to reinstall it to get back hard drive space, speed and reliability.
> The
> following question have arisen:
>
> 1. I have a 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade CD, can I reinstall?

Sure, you can reinstall as many times as you want on the same system. If
it's retail it can be moved to a new system if first removed from the one
it's on.

> 2. Will my product need reactivating?

If it's reinstalled on the same hardware, no.

> 3.Will it touch my 140GB second hard drive or my 5GB second partion on my
> 185GB main hard drive?

It shouldn't but to be safe, remove the second drive for the installation,
and always have a full and complete backup of of data. I recommend using a
drive imaging program, Acronis True Image Home, version 10, works great in
Vista, to image the system to an external drive before making such changes.
I use disk imaging regularly for bacup and recovery.

> 4. Can I use easy transfer to move my files to the second hard drive and
> restore it back after reinstallling windows?.

WET cannot place it's files on another internal drive. It has to go to a
networked drive, CD/DVD, flash drive or an external drive. WET has had some
problems so I would not rely on that as the only means of backup or
transfer. Imaging the system is a good alternate means.

> 5. Can i get it to reformat my main partition on my first hard drive?

Yes during a clean install. Not during an upgrade.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

> To add on to my first list of questions:
>
> 1. Will there be a chance I could lose drives such as these half way
> through
> the installation or afterwards:

Sure, with computers the worst can always happen. That's why you must have
a backup and recovery plan in place before facing such issues (drive
imaging).

Do you mean drivers?

> a) the monitors driver
> b) The DVD drives' drivers (have two)
> c)The speakers' drivers or my computer's connection with it's sound card
> (didn't when upgraded)
> d) My wireless mouse and keyboard, (have a plug in mouse also but no plug
> in
> keyboard)
>
> 2. I suppose I will have to reinstall drivers for the following
> a) My printer
> b) my Pocket PC
> c) My digital camera and Webcam
> d)

Make sure you have all drivers that don't come with Vista on the on the
installation DVD handy.