USB scanner problem

GS

USB scanner problem
I got an USB scanner UMAX astra 1220U that works well in XP. but I can`t
find the driver for vista.

does anyone has succeeded in using the astra 1220U on vista and let me know
how?

Patrick Keenan

Re: USB scanner problem

"GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in message
>I got an USB scanner UMAX astra 1220U that works well in XP. but I can`t
> find the driver for vista.
>

> does anyone has succeeded in using the astra 1220U on vista and let me
> know
> how?

Here is the Specs page for that scanner from the manufacturer:

http://www.umax.com/support/knowledg...el=Astra+1220U

"System Support Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP|Mac OS 8.0 to 9.1 "

Note the lack of any mention of "Vista" on that list.

3rd party drivers are not likely to be developed. Driver development is
skilled and time consuming, and those who can do it are doing things they
get paid for. CLearly Umax doesn't consider this scanner to be high on
their priority list.

So, I'd have to say that it's time for you to either move away from Vista or
update your hardware. The problem isn't likely to get better with Windows
7; Umax still won't write a driver.

HTH
-pk

GS

Re: USB scanner problem
I was hoping someone may have been able to use another umax scanner driver
or some sort of ms universal scanner driver on the 1220U for vista
"Patrick Keenan" <test@dev.null> wrote in message

> "GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in message
> >I got an USB scanner UMAX astra 1220U that works well in XP. but I can`t
> > find the driver for vista.
> >

> > does anyone has succeeded in using the astra 1220U on vista and let me
> > know
> > how?

> Here is the Specs page for that scanner from the manufacturer:
>
> http://www.umax.com/support/knowledg...el=Astra+1220U
>
> "System Support Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP|Mac OS 8.0 to 9.1 "
>
> Note the lack of any mention of "Vista" on that list.
>
> 3rd party drivers are not likely to be developed. Driver development is
> skilled and time consuming, and those who can do it are doing things they
> get paid for. CLearly Umax doesn't consider this scanner to be high on
> their priority list.
>
> So, I'd have to say that it's time for you to either move away from Vista

or
> update your hardware. The problem isn't likely to get better with

Windows
> 7; Umax still won't write a driver.
>
> HTH
> -pk

GrahamH

Re: USB scanner problem

>> > find the driver for vista.

I had the same problem with my HP Scanjet 5370C.
The solution for me was to purchase software called Vuescan, it is worth a
look.
This software supports many older scanners and new, look in the release
notes for supported scanners.
If you dont want to buy the software then you will most likely have to buy a
new scanner, or install XP.
Regards,
Graham....

GS

Re: USB scanner problem
thx. I chose getting another scanner - cheaper than the software route for a
faster scanner plus direct convert to pdf
for those interested in low cost canner cannon LiDe 100 to 200 should do
For those in need of adf and double side scanning, a low cost one would be
hp scanjet 5590 <$270 when on sale

"GrahamH" <spam@nothing.invalid.> wrote in message

> I had the same problem with my HP Scanjet 5370C.
> The solution for me was to purchase software called Vuescan, it is worth a
> look.
> This software supports many older scanners and new, look in the release
> notes for supported scanners.
> If you dont want to buy the software then you will most likely have to buy

> new scanner, or install XP.
> Regards,
> Graham....

Curious

Re: USB scanner problem
I had an old scanner that worked fine in Vista 32 bit HP after I installed
it's XP driver while in XP compatibility mode and also only ran it in XP
compatibility mode.