Cant start Vista after changing partions

simcityfreak4

Cant start Vista after changing partions

I could really use some help with this error, its got me stumped. I have
Vista Home Premium SP1 32 bit. Here is the story.

I wanted to try out Windows 7, but I didn't want to upgrade Vista yet
because it was still in beta. So I was going to dual-boot Windows 7 and
Vista. I downloaded a copy of linux that was designed for partitioning
so that I could partition my hard drive. Before I partitioned it with
linux, I had just one partition for Vista and that was it. I had linux
trim it down about 30 gigs and then make a new partition with that free
space. It did all that and didnt report any errors. So I restarted my
computer and the windows loading screen came up for about a second
untill it said "Windows failed to start and a recent hardware or
software change might be the cause". And it gave the the option of
starting windows normally or to launch startup repair. I picked start
windows normally and it went back to the loading screen. After a few
seconds at that it gave me a BSOD for about a second before it
restarted. I was able to see the error number before it restarted. It
was 0x000000ED. So after it restarted it went back to the same message
again. I picked launch startup repair that time. It then told me that
I should get my Vista install disk that run the repair tools. It also
said at the bottom "Status: 0xc000000f" and "Info: The boot selection
failed because a required device is inaccessible". After that I went
and downloaded a Vista repair disk because my HP laptop restore disk
doesnt have any repair options. So I burned that to a disk and went to
the repair tools and it asked me to pick an OS to repair, but there was
no OS in the list. This confused me since it could get the loading
screen up but no OS avaliable on the repair disk. I then got my linux
livecd to see if linux could access it, but it gave me an error as well.
(A picture of it is attached)

Does anyone have any idea what I can try next? I can live without the
files on the hard drive, but at the very least I would like to save some
of the files on it. My main thing is to get access to the files just so
I can save them, I can reinstall Vista.

Thanks for any help!

|Filename: snapshot1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12594|

simcityfreak4
DemonSeed

Re: Cant start Vista after changing partions

OK
The first thing you did wrong is use the linux disk to do your
partitioning.
Vista has a very good desk manager built in.
But moving on... Yes you can do a reinstall.
When reinstalling choose upgrade and it will put all of the old windows
files in a folder in the root of the C: drive called old windows.
If you need any more help let me know.

--
DemonSeed

If My $0.02 Worth Help You Out...
Help Me Out
Give Me Some Rep Would Ya?:sarc:
Chad Harris

"simcityfreak4" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I could really use some help with this error, its got me stumped. I have
> Vista Home Premium SP1 32 bit. Here is the story.
>
> I wanted to try out Windows 7, but I didn't want to upgrade Vista yet
> because it was still in beta. So I was going to dual-boot Windows 7 and
> Vista. I downloaded a copy of linux that was designed for partitioning
> so that I could partition my hard drive. Before I partitioned it with
> linux, I had just one partition for Vista and that was it. I had linux
> trim it down about 30 gigs and then make a new partition with that free
> space. It did all that and didnt report any errors. So I restarted my
> computer and the windows loading screen came up for about a second
> untill it said "Windows failed to start and a recent hardware or
> software change might be the cause". And it gave the the option of
> starting windows normally or to launch startup repair. I picked start
> windows normally and it went back to the loading screen. After a few
> seconds at that it gave me a BSOD for about a second before it
> restarted. I was able to see the error number before it restarted. It
> was 0x000000ED. So after it restarted it went back to the same message
> again. I picked launch startup repair that time. It then told me that
> I should get my Vista install disk that run the repair tools. It also
> said at the bottom "Status: 0xc000000f" and "Info: The boot selection
> failed because a required device is inaccessible". After that I went
> and downloaded a Vista repair disk because my HP laptop restore disk
> doesnt have any repair options. So I burned that to a disk and went to
> the repair tools and it asked me to pick an OS to repair, but there was
> no OS in the list. This confused me since it could get the loading
> screen up but no OS avaliable on the repair disk. I then got my linux
> livecd to see if linux could access it, but it gave me an error as well.
> (A picture of it is attached)
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I can try next? I can live without the
> files on the hard drive, but at the very least I would like to save some
> of the files on it. My main thing is to get access to the files just so
> I can save them, I can reinstall Vista.
>
> Thanks for any help!

> |Filename: snapshot1.jpg |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12594|

> simcityfreak4

Hi simcity--

I'm guessing that you used one of my faves to do your partition resizing
G-Parted Live from Gnu/or Gnome but
it might have been some other Linux utility. I've had good experiences with
G-Parted, but I know it can hide boots on multiboot systems, but usually it
can be repaired promptly and easily using three bootrec switches from the
command prompt you can access on the Vista DVD (or if you didn't have a
Vista DVD) you can download the .iso to make a Startup Repair DVD. This
useful feature is also available from the All Programs Menu in Win 7 under
Maintenance, in all builds, and was hidden in the Vista SP1 and SP2 System
32 folders in because someone who had top shot calling power at Redmond with
those service packs has a devilish sense of humor and gets intense pleasure
in thinking about how many Seattle/Mercer Island Soccer Mom's are perusing
system 32 utilities and then want to tweak UAC permissions to make
recdisc.exe in the Vista System 32 folder work. Maybe the eleven year old
kid in the "I'm a PC" commercials is regularly perusing system 32 for its
hidden value, or perhaps Bill Gates or Jim Alchin's kids. I dunno.

That error generated is an interesting error, but it almost seems like an
answer on a group or forum. What sometimes happens is that use of G-Parted
or another Linux partition manager hides a boot or can damage the BCD but
this is rare. The reason that people use G-Parted is that it simply can do
more things with more versatility than Disk Management in Vista or Win 7
can, although to their credit, MSFT did make it fault tolerant as of Vista,
which means when it does what it does, if the partitions are in the right
place or adjacent to the right partitions with enough space to work with,
you will not lose anything when it resizes or formats a particular partition
that you're not in. In Windows XP, Disk Management wasn't "fault tolerant",
and when you used it, you had to be backed up and prepared to lose
everything. G-Parted will add space to a given partition if it's available,
and it formats with warp speed, faster than Disk Management. Sometimes, for
unexplained reasons, Disk Management ghosts partitions you want to resize or
format, and that's one compelling reason people turn to Linux apps or
utilities (whichever you want to call them) to do what it DM won't do.

Using G-Parted to Resize Win Vista Partitions

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...sta-partition/

The link above has nice screenshots, but it doesn't tell you two crucial
things that I will.

1) To make G-Parted actually apply changes, you have to put your mouse on
the lower rt. corner of its interface and drag that sucker to the right
(make it the width of your desktop).

2) The link indicates Startup Repair will fix things in the rare event you
can't boot. Frequently as you're finding out, it doesn't but almost always,
doing the bootrec commands will and what it's probably doing is rebuilding
the BCD when it gets you back. The fixboot command is also important in
some situations or in conjunction with the rebuild BCD command. Some of the
guys who work on Windows Setup teams at Redmond and Startup would
definitely be good sources to discuss this, like Darrell Gorter [MSFT] who
has been generous helping here, but that's my take as far as I can analyze
it.

Here's what I've seen fix this:

I don't think you need this link because you've alrerady been booting to the
Startup Repair menu, but your friends without Vista DVDs might:

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Try this:

If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3 bootrec
commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...airstartup.htm

Those are:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuild BCD

After typing each command switch at the command prompt, you'll get a quick
"Successful" for the first two switches, and it will take about 30 seconds
or less to get that response from the 3rd one. Use all of them, and it
takes just a few seconds anyway.

Good luck,

CH

simcityfreak4

Chad Harris;1037047 Wrote:
> [...]

> Try this:
>
> If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3
> bootrec
> commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:
>
> The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey
> background.
>
> 'Windows Vista Home Premium - Repair StartUp'
> (http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...airstartup.htm)
>
> Those are:
>
> bootrec /fixmbr
> bootrec /fixboot
> bootrec /rebuild BCD
>
> After typing each command switch at the command prompt, you'll get a
> quick
> "Successful" for the first two switches, and it will take about 30
> seconds
> or less to get that response from the 3rd one. Use all of them, and

@DemonSpeed: I tried to use that built in tool but it wouldnt let me
free up more than about 8 gigs, that wouldnt be enough. I dont have a
Vista install disk, I just have the restore disk that came with my
computer.

@Chad Harris: I have tried the repair disk but there was no OS in the
list to choose from to repair. Its just empty. I clicked on next
anyways so I could launch a command prompt. I ran the first two without
problems. When I ran the third one, it said it identified zero windows
installations. When it was at the choose OS to repair, I picked load
drivers just to see if I could access the C drive and it said I had to
format it. I also ran Startup Repair anyways ever though I couldnt pick
an OS to repair. After it was done running it told me it could not fix
the problem it found. t So I clicked on view scan details and it said
that problem was "Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt" and
it had an error code for 0x490 next to it.

--
simcityfreak4
SIW2

simcityfreak4;1037686 Wrote:
> [...]

> Vista install disk, I just have the restore disk that came with my
> computer.
>
> @Chad Harris: I have tried the repair disk but there was no OS in
> the list to choose from to repair. Its just empty. I clicked on next
> anyways so I could launch a command prompt. I ran the first two
> without problems. When I ran the third one, it said it identified
> zero windows installations. When it was at the choose OS to repair, I
> picked load drivers just to see if I could access the C drive and it
> said I had to format it. I also ran Startup Repair anyways ever
> though I couldnt pick an OS to repair. After it was done running it
> told me it could not fix the problem it found. t So I clicked on view
> scan details and it said that problem was "Boot sector for system disk
> partition is corrupt" and it had an error code for 0x490 next to it.

Hi,

You could try getting hold of bootsect.exe ( it's not on the Neosmart
repair cd).

It is in the bin folder of the free Easybcd. 'Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 -
NeoSmart Technologies' (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

Copy bootsect.exe to a cd.

Boot the repair cd to command prompt, find the drive letter for your
dvd drive by typing:

X:sources>Diskpart {enter}

Diskpart> lis vol {enter}

make a note of the dvd drive letter.

Diskpart> exi {enter}

Remove the repair cd and put in the cd containing bootsect.exe

Follow instructions at Step 3 here:

'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies
Wiki'
(http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD)

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
simcityfreak4

SIW2;1037718 Wrote:
> [...]

> > sector for system disk partition is corrupt" and it had an error
> > code for 0x490 next to it.> >

> Hi,
>
> You could try getting hold of bootsect.exe ( it's not on the Neosmart
> repair cd).
>
> It is in the bin folder of the free Easybcd. 'Download EasyBCD 1.7.2
> - NeoSmart Technologies' (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)
>
> Copy bootsect.exe to a cd.
>
> Boot the repair cd to command prompt, find the drive letter for your
> dvd drive by typing:
>
> X:sources>Diskpart {enter}
>
> Diskpart> lis vol {enter}
>
> make a note of the dvd drive letter.
>
> Diskpart> exi {enter}
>
> Remove the repair cd and put in the cd containing bootsect.exe
>
> Follow instructions at Step 3 here:
>
> 'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies

I put those files on the CD, and I started to follow those steps but
when I get to this command "del C:\boot\bcd", it says "The volume does
not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all
required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not
corrupted".

--
simcityfreak4
SIW2

simcityfreak4;1037735 Wrote:

> > > @DemonSpeed: I tried to use that built in tool but it wouldnt let me
> > > free up more than about 8 gigs, that wouldnt be enough. I dont have a
> > > Vista install disk, I just have the restore disk that came with my
> > > computer.
> > >
> > > @Chad Harris: I have tried the repair disk but there was no OS in the
> > > list to choose from to repair. Its just empty. I clicked on next
> > > anyways so I could launch a command prompt. I ran the first two without
> > > problems. When I ran the third one, it said it identified zero windows
> > > installations. When it was at the choose OS to repair, I picked load
> > > drivers just to see if I could access the C drive and it said I had to
> > > format it. I also ran Startup Repair anyways ever though I couldnt pick
> > > an OS to repair. After it was done running it told me it could not fix
> > > the problem it found. t So I clicked on view scan details and it said
> > > that problem was "Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt" and
> > > it had an error code for 0x490 next to it.> > > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > You could try getting hold of bootsect.exe ( it's not on the
> > Neosmart repair cd).
> >
> > It is in the bin folder of the free Easybcd. 'Download EasyBCD
> > 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies' (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)
> >
> > Copy bootsect.exe to a cd.
> >
> > Boot the repair cd to command prompt, find the drive letter for
> > your dvd drive by typing:
> >
> > X:sources>Diskpart {enter}
> >
> > Diskpart> lis vol {enter}
> >
> > make a note of the dvd drive letter.
> >
> > Diskpart> exi {enter}
> >
> > Remove the repair cd and put in the cd containing bootsect.exe
> >
> > Follow instructions at Step 3 here:
> >
> > 'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart
> > Technologies Wiki'
> > (http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD)
> >
> > Hope it helps
> >
> > SIW2> >

> I put those files on the CD, and I started to follow those steps but
> when I get to this command "del C:\boot\bcd", it says "The volume does
> not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all
> required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not
> corrupted".

Hi,

You might try running checkdisk from the command prompt :

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...sk-chkdsk.html

Otherwise, you could try booting from the 7 dvd and installing it to
the partition you created - it should add Vista as a boot option.

'Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html)

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
simcityfreak4

SIW2;1037810 Wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > You could try getting hold of bootsect.exe ( it's not on the Neosmart
> > > repair cd).
> > >
> > > It is in the bin folder of the free Easybcd. 'Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 -
> > > NeoSmart Technologies' (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)
> > >
> > > Copy bootsect.exe to a cd.
> > >
> > > Boot the repair cd to command prompt, find the drive letter for your
> > > dvd drive by typing:
> > >
> > > X:sources>Diskpart {enter}
> > >
> > > Diskpart> lis vol {enter}
> > >
> > > make a note of the dvd drive letter.
> > >
> > > Diskpart> exi {enter}
> > >
> > > Remove the repair cd and put in the cd containing bootsect.exe
> > >
> > > Follow instructions at Step 3 here:
> > >
> > > 'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies
> > > Wiki'
> > > (http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD)
> > >
> > > Hope it helps
> > >
> > > SIW2> > > >

> > I put those files on the CD, and I started to follow those steps
> > but when I get to this command "del C:\boot\bcd", it says "The
> > volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure
> > that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume
> > is not corrupted".> >

> Hi,
>
> You might try running checkdisk from the command prompt :
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...sk-chkdsk.html
>
> Otherwise, you could try booting from the 7 dvd and installing it to
> the partition you created - it should add Vista as a boot option.
>
> 'Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html)
>
> Hope it helps
>
> SIW2

When I tried to do just chkdsk /f, it said the drive is NTFS and that
it cant lock the current drive, the drive is write protected and it
doesnt do anything. When I did chkdsk C: /f, it said the type of file
system is RAW and chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.

--
simcityfreak4
SIW2

simcityfreak4;1037830 Wrote:

> > > I put those files on the CD, and I started to follow those steps but
> > > when I get to this command "del C:\boot\bcd", it says "The volume does
> > > not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all
> > > required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not
> > > corrupted".> > > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > You might try running checkdisk from the command prompt :
> >
> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...sk-chkdsk.html
> >
> > Otherwise, you could try booting from the 7 dvd and installing it
> > to the partition you created - it should add Vista as a boot option.
> >
> > 'Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums'
> > (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html)
> >
> > Hope it helps
> >
> > SIW2> >

> When I tried to do just chkdsk /f, it said the drive is NTFS and that
> it cant lock the current drive, the drive is write protected and it
> doesnt do anything. When I did chkdsk C: /f, it said the type of file
> system is RAW and chkdsk is not available for RAW drives. ........ My
> main thing is to get access to the files just so I can save them, I
> can reinstall Vista.

You can d/l this free app. from the nice people at Paragon - it burns
itself to cd.

'FREE Rescue Kit 9.0 Express - Don't wait for disaster, get instant
data recovery software!'
(http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/)

Boot the cd - use the File Transfer Wizard to save anything you need
before reinstalling.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
simcityfreak4

SIW2;1037862 Wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > You might try running checkdisk from the command prompt :
> > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...sk-chkdsk.html
> > >
> > > Otherwise, you could try booting from the 7 dvd and installing it to
> > > the partition you created - it should add Vista as a boot option.
> > >
> > > 'Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums'
> > > (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html)
> > >
> > > Hope it helps
> > >
> > > SIW2> > > >

> > When I tried to do just chkdsk /f, it said the drive is NTFS and
> > that it cant lock the current drive, the drive is write protected
> > and it doesnt do anything. When I did chkdsk C: /f, it said the
> > type of file system is RAW and chkdsk is not available for RAW
> > drives. ........ My main thing is to get access to the files just so
> > I can save them, I can reinstall Vista.> >

> You can d/l this free app. from the nice people at Paragon - it burns
> itself to cd.
>
> 'FREE Rescue Kit 9.0 Express - Don't wait for disaster, get instant
> data recovery software!'
> (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/)
>
> Boot the cd - use the File Transfer Wizard to save anything you need
> before reinstalling.
>
> Hope it helps
>
> SIW2

I was able to get Vista to boot again. It seemed like all was lost so
I was going to install Windows 7, but it read the partitions right and I
was able to set my partitions like they were before I used linux. I
then went back to the Vista repair disk and Vista was finally in the OS
list to pick from for repairs. I let it run the repair, it restarted
and Vista was back up and running again and all my data was still there
in tact.

--
simcityfreak4