cannot burn dvd in vista ultimate

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhZA==?=

cannot burn dvd in vista ultimate
All of a sudden, I can no longer burn an ISO (650mb) on a DVD-RW. I've tried
two DVD's and two burning software:

Roxio Delux Media Studio 7
Burn4Free ISO software (freeware)

This has always worked using the same software and the same DVD's. I've used
the erase feature in both software PLUS Vista's explorer function as well to
no avail.

Burn4Free gave this error, similar to Roxio:

Burn data process done with error : "WRITER ERROR [ILLEGAL REQUEST (ILLEGAL
MODE FOR THIS TRACK)]"

This is odd because it is a Kubuntu iso which worked before. I tried a few
other iso from official linux/windows related sites. None worked.

Screenshot shown is what Roxio says, repetively and endlessly regardless of
clicking ok to erase dvd (which IS already empty)

http://www.imagehost.ro/pict//160642024622f08a20fcb.png

I tried a few iso burner software. Some work, some give the same error as
roxio and burn4free.

Something (setting) is wrong in Vista. Any help appreciated

I DID A FRESH O/S RELOAD OF VISTA, PROBLEM *STILL PERSISTS!*
Chad Harris

Re: cannot burn dvd in vista ultimate
Hi Chad--

You might try the support sites of your
CD reader or writer, including cleaning the optical drive.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...0s09/10s09.asp

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=83984

Definitely check your registry per this KB which applies to Vista as well.
Often filter
values can be in the way of CD reading, burning and any functionality of CD
or DVD software in general:

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP or Windows Vista

Others which could come into play but less commonly:

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/

How to troubleshoot common problems that may occur when a Windows XP-based
computer cannot read a CD or a DVD (May Apply to Vista)

Also depending on your burning software, there are specific issues listed
discussed in MSKBs at http://support.microsoft.com

Good luck,

CH

"Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All of a sudden, I can no longer burn an ISO (650mb) on a DVD-RW. I've
> tried
> two DVD's and two burning software:
>
> Roxio Delux Media Studio 7
> Burn4Free ISO software (freeware)
>
> This has always worked using the same software and the same DVD's. I've
> used
> the erase feature in both software PLUS Vista's explorer function as well
> no avail.
>
> Burn4Free gave this error, similar to Roxio:
>
> Burn data process done with error : "WRITER ERROR [ILLEGAL REQUEST
> (ILLEGAL
> MODE FOR THIS TRACK)]"
>
> This is odd because it is a Kubuntu iso which worked before. I tried a few
> other iso from official linux/windows related sites. None worked.
>
> Screenshot shown is what Roxio says, repetively and endlessly regardless
> of
> clicking ok to erase dvd (which IS already empty)
>
> http://www.imagehost.ro/pict//160642024622f08a20fcb.png
>
> I tried a few iso burner software. Some work, some give the same error as
> roxio and burn4free.
>
> Something (setting) is wrong in Vista. Any help appreciated
>
> I DID A FRESH O/S RELOAD OF VISTA, PROBLEM *STILL PERSISTS!*

Chad Harris

Re: cannot burn dvd in vista ultimate
Chad--

I meant to include this MSKB also:

Optical drives do not work as expected after you upgrade a computer to
Windows Vista