Activation problem

Jenova

Activation problem

I have the ultimate version of vista, after installing it on my pc i
decided to swtich back to xp because its too slow and some other
problems, but i activated cd key. Today i was installed the same copy
of vista on my mom's computer with no problem typing in the cd key in
the inital setup, but now when i go to Control Panel\System on the very
bottom under Windows activation it says: 3 days until automatic
activation. Activate Windows now. so my question is ist possible to
deactivate it on my pc? if not is there a way to legally activate ?
thanks in advance

--
Jenova
Rick Rogers

Re: Activation problem
Hi,

Run activation, use the phone method. If asked, just tell them you removed
it from the other pc and are installing it on this one. You will be allowed
to activate it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jenova" <Jenova.2p3zwb@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have the ultimate version of vista, after installing it on my pc i
> decided to swtich back to xp because its too slow and some other
> problems, but i activated cd key. Today i was installed the same copy
> of vista on my mom's computer with no problem typing in the cd key in
> the inital setup, but now when i go to Control Panel\System on the very
> bottom under Windows activation it says: 3 days until automatic
> activation. Activate Windows now. so my question is ist possible to
> deactivate it on my pc? if not is there a way to legally activate ?
> thanks in advance
>

> --
> Jenova

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Activation problem
Have you tried re-activating it?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Rock

Re: Activation problem
"Jenova" <Jenova.2p3zwb@no-mx.forums.net> wrote
> I have the ultimate version of vista, after installing it on my pc i
> decided to swtich back to xp because its too slow and some other
> problems, but i activated cd key. Today i was installed the same copy
> of vista on my mom's computer with no problem typing in the cd key in
> the inital setup, but now when i go to Control Panel\System on the very
> bottom under Windows activation it says: 3 days until automatic
> activation. Activate Windows now. so my question is ist possible to
> deactivate it on my pc? if not is there a way to legally activate ?
> thanks in advance

There is no deactivation. Is it a retail or OEM version? If retail it can
be moved to a different computer. Use the phone activation. If it's an OEM
version it's tied by the license to the first computer on which it's
installed and can't be moved to a different one.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

scott

Re: Activation problem
Just call and simply tell them you lost your hard drive and replaced it.
They will re-activate over the phone.

If you want to go by the book (as others suggest) then you need to purchase
a new license of Vista. Obviously this is completely crazy, so I would
suggest doing the above.

"Jenova" <Jenova.2p3zwb@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have the ultimate version of vista, after installing it on my pc i
> decided to swtich back to xp because its too slow and some other
> problems, but i activated cd key. Today i was installed the same copy
> of vista on my mom's computer with no problem typing in the cd key in
> the inital setup, but now when i go to Control Panel\System on the very
> bottom under Windows activation it says: 3 days until automatic
> activation. Activate Windows now. so my question is ist possible to
> deactivate it on my pc? if not is there a way to legally activate ?
> thanks in advance
>

> --
> Jenova

Rock

Re: Activation problem
"scott" <you@wow.boink> wrote
> Just call and simply tell them you lost your hard drive and replaced it.
> They will re-activate over the phone.
>
> If you want to go by the book (as others suggest) then you need to
> purchase a new license of Vista. Obviously this is completely crazy, so I
> would suggest doing the above.

> "Jenova" <Jenova.2p3zwb@no-mx.forums.net> wrote
>> I have the ultimate version of vista, after installing it on my pc i
>> decided to swtich back to xp because its too slow and some other
>> problems, but i activated cd key. Today i was installed the same copy
>> of vista on my mom's computer with no problem typing in the cd key in
>> the inital setup, but now when i go to Control Panel\System on the very
>> bottom under Windows activation it says: 3 days until automatic
>> activation. Activate Windows now. so my question is ist possible to
>> deactivate it on my pc? if not is there a way to legally activate ?
>> thanks in advance

If it's a retail copy then it can be moved. If it's OEM, by the license, it
can't. I don't see that as going by the book, I see it as honoring one's
word to something you agreed to. That should mean something. But then if
one has no integrity lying can suit them.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mike Hall - MS MVP

Re: Activation problem
Do you not find it amazing that these people wonder why MS is, on the face
of things, so untrusting, when they come in here and suggest 'lines' that
can be used to fool the MS activation staff?

Unbelievable stuff..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Activation problem
It doesn't fool the activation staff. The 50-digit number that you
have to read to them reveals exactly what all hardware changed
compared to the previous activation.

Gary VanderMolen

"Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote
> It doesn't fool the activation staff. The 50-digit number that you
> have to read to them reveals exactly what all hardware changed
> compared to the previous activation.

> "Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote
>> Do you not find it amazing that these people wonder why MS is, on the
>> face of things, so untrusting, when they come in here and suggest 'lines'
>> that can be used to fool the MS activation staff?
>>
>> Unbelievable stuff..

>> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote
>>> "scott" <you@wow.boink> wrote

>>> If it's a retail copy then it can be moved. If it's OEM, by the
>>> license, it can't. I don't see that as going by the book, I see it as
>>> honoring one's word to something you agreed to. That should mean
>>> something.
>>> But then if one has no integrity lying can suit them.

Interesting Gary, I didn't know anything about that number. I've not seen
any documentation on Vista activation issues. Do you know of any?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Activation problem
"Mike Hall - MS MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Do you not find it amazing that these people wonder why MS is, on the face
> of things, so untrusting, when they come in here and suggest 'lines' that
> can be used to fool the MS activation staff?
>
> Unbelievable stuff..
>

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "scott" <you@wow.boink> wrote
>>> Just call and simply tell them you lost your hard drive and replaced it.
>>> They will re-activate over the phone.
>>>
>>> If you want to go by the book (as others suggest) then you need to
>>> purchase a new license of Vista. Obviously this is completely crazy, so
>>> I would suggest doing the above.

>>> "Jenova" <Jenova.2p3zwb@no-mx.forums.net> wrote

>> If it's a retail copy then it can be moved. If it's OEM, by the license,
>> it can't. I don't see that as going by the book, I see it as honoring
>> one's word to something you agreed to. That should mean something. But
>> then if one has no integrity lying can suit them.

Yep, sometimes it's hard to believe. I have found that a lack of integrity
can enable one to rationalize all kinds of things.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]