How to add space to the main partition

Peter Afonin

How to add space to the main partition
Hello,

Is there a way to add space to my main Vista partition?

My Vista partition is located at the very right on the disk, and a free
unallocated space is just to the left of it.

The Vista's native disk management system can only shrink this partition,
not to extend it.

I have Paragon Hard disk manager which works on Windows XP only, but I don't
want to use it. I resized my Vista partition before from Windows XP, it
added space, but made my Vista unbootable, so I had to reinstall it.

I even tried BootIt NG - it also seems to be able to only shrink Vista
partition.

I would appreciate any advice very much.

Thank you,

--
Peter Afonin

Richard G. Harper

Re: How to add space to the main partition
Using BootIT, you'd need to "slide" the Vista partition so that it is at the
left hand side and the empty space is at the right, then you can resize the
Vista partition to use the available space.

"Peter Afonin" <pafonin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to add space to my main Vista partition?
>
> My Vista partition is located at the very right on the disk, and a free
> unallocated space is just to the left of it.
>
> The Vista's native disk management system can only shrink this partition,
> not to extend it.
>
> I have Paragon Hard disk manager which works on Windows XP only, but I
> don't want to use it. I resized my Vista partition before from Windows XP,
> it added space, but made my Vista unbootable, so I had to reinstall it.
>
> I even tried BootIt NG - it also seems to be able to only shrink Vista
> partition.
>
> I would appreciate any advice very much.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Peter Afonin

Peter Afonin

Re: How to add space to the main partition
Thank you, Richard, I'll try.

Peter

> Using BootIT, you'd need to "slide" the Vista partition so that it is at
> the left hand side and the empty space is at the right, then you can
> resize the Vista partition to use the available space.

> "Peter Afonin" <pafonin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to add space to my main Vista partition?
>>
>> My Vista partition is located at the very right on the disk, and a free
>> unallocated space is just to the left of it.
>>
>> The Vista's native disk management system can only shrink this partition,
>> not to extend it.
>>
>> I have Paragon Hard disk manager which works on Windows XP only, but I
>> don't want to use it. I resized my Vista partition before from Windows
>> XP, it added space, but made my Vista unbootable, so I had to reinstall
>> it.
>>
>> I even tried BootIt NG - it also seems to be able to only shrink Vista
>> partition.
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice very much.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> --
>> Peter Afonin

ray

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:59:18 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to add space to my main Vista partition?
>
> My Vista partition is located at the very right on the disk, and a free
> unallocated space is just to the left of it.
>
> The Vista's native disk management system can only shrink this partition,
> not to extend it.
>
> I have Paragon Hard disk manager which works on Windows XP only, but I don't
> want to use it. I resized my Vista partition before from Windows XP, it
> added space, but made my Vista unbootable, so I had to reinstall it.
>
> I even tried BootIt NG - it also seems to be able to only shrink Vista
> partition.
>
> I would appreciate any advice very much.
>
> Thank you,

I would suggest you boot the Gparted Live CD and do that - it's really
quite easy; nice GUI interface.

Peter Afonin

Re: How to add space to the main partition
Thank you, Ray, I'll try it.

BootIt didn't work for me - I couldn't select any free space after my
partition when tried to slide, it resets it to 0.

Peter

"ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message
newsan.2007.04.16.03.50.20.77126@zianet.com...
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:59:18 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to add space to my main Vista partition?
>>
>> My Vista partition is located at the very right on the disk, and a free
>> unallocated space is just to the left of it.
>>
>> The Vista's native disk management system can only shrink this partition,
>> not to extend it.
>>
>> I have Paragon Hard disk manager which works on Windows XP only, but I
>> don't
>> want to use it. I resized my Vista partition before from Windows XP, it
>> added space, but made my Vista unbootable, so I had to reinstall it.
>>
>> I even tried BootIt NG - it also seems to be able to only shrink Vista
>> partition.
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice very much.
>>
>> Thank you,

> I would suggest you boot the Gparted Live CD and do that - it's really
> quite easy; nice GUI interface.

Don

ray wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:59:18 -0700, Peter Afonin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to add space to my main Vista partition?
>>
>> My Vista partition is located at the very right on the disk, and a free
>> unallocated space is just to the left of it.

> I would suggest you boot the Gparted Live CD and do that - it's really
> quite easy; nice GUI interface.

A word of caution, however: does Gparted know about Vista's new flavor
of NTFS? I've seen another poster who had trouble after using it on a
Vista partition, and I speculated that Gparted may not be Vista-aware,
but I don't have the facts.

Peter

On Apr 16, 6:43 am, Don <don195...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> ray wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:59:18 -0700,PeterAfoninwrote:

> >> Hello,

> >> Is there a way to add space to my main Vista partition?

> >> My Vista partition is located at the very right on the disk, and a free
> >> unallocated space is just to the left of it.

> > I would suggest you boot the Gparted Live CD and do that - it's really
> > quite easy; nice GUI interface.

> A word of caution, however: does Gparted know about Vista's new flavor
> of NTFS? I've seen another poster who had trouble after using it on a
> Vista partition, and I speculated that Gparted may not be Vista-aware,
> but I don't have the facts.

Thank you for the warning, Don.

So far I couldn't use it anyway - perhaps I need some monitor
adjustments. I cannot see anything on the screen except stripes.

Peter

Don

Peter wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:43 am, Don <don195...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> ray wrote:

>>> I would suggest you boot the Gparted Live CD and do that - it's really
>>> quite easy; nice GUI interface.

>> A word of caution, however: does Gparted know about Vista's new flavor
>> of NTFS? I've seen another poster who had trouble after using it on a
>> Vista partition, and I speculated that Gparted may not be Vista-aware,
>> but I don't have the facts.

> Thank you for the warning, Don.
>
> So far I couldn't use it anyway - perhaps I need some monitor
> adjustments. I cannot see anything on the screen except stripes.

Ironic -- I can't see the Vista bootmgr menu on my LCD monitor because
the refresh rate is too fast. Anyway, I just moved/resized my main
Vista partition (C using Acronis' Disk Director (build 2160 *only*)
so I know it works. I've seen many recommendations here for BootItNG,
which I would also try except I don't need it since I already have DD.

The nifty thing about Gparted is that it is open-source and free. I
wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anything prior to Vista, but I'd
really like to have confirmation from someone with Vista experience
before I'd be willing to try it on my own Vista machine. Anyone?

Peter Afonin

Re: How to add space to the main partition
Thank you, Don.

I'll try Acronis' Disk Director as well, I still cannot resize my main Vista
partition using BootIt NG - cannot figure out how to slide the free space so
it would be in front of Vista partition. For any other partition it works,
but not for the one I need.

Peter

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Peter wrote:

>>> A word of caution, however: does Gparted know about Vista's new flavor
>>> of NTFS? I've seen another poster who had trouble after using it on a
>>> Vista partition, and I speculated that Gparted may not be Vista-aware,
>>> but I don't have the facts.

>> Thank you for the warning, Don.
>>
>> So far I couldn't use it anyway - perhaps I need some monitor
>> adjustments. I cannot see anything on the screen except stripes.

> Ironic -- I can't see the Vista bootmgr menu on my LCD monitor because
> the refresh rate is too fast. Anyway, I just moved/resized my main
> Vista partition (C using Acronis' Disk Director (build 2160 *only*)
> so I know it works. I've seen many recommendations here for BootItNG,
> which I would also try except I don't need it since I already have DD.
>
> The nifty thing about Gparted is that it is open-source and free. I
> wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anything prior to Vista, but I'd
> really like to have confirmation from someone with Vista experience
> before I'd be willing to try it on my own Vista machine. Anyone?

Peter Afonin

Re: How to add space to the main partition
I've resized it using Acronis. It was easy, thanks, Don.