BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM

=?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueUc=?=

BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
Hi,

I've just upgraded XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business. Other than having
Daemontools installed (stpd.sys problem) during the install, everything
seemed to go ok. Now that I've got it up and running, I have the following
problem:

One of my four users (the main account, my account) always gets a blue
screen of death when logging in with a message about MUP_FILE_SYSTEM error.
The desktop is never shown. All other users are ok and the system seems to
behave properly when they log in. When booting into safe mode, the problem
user can also login ok.

I've tried to isolate what was installed under the problem users account and
deactivate uncessary 'startup' items, but I've not been able to pinpoint the
problem.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

thanks
Joe Guidera

Re: BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
It's not a startup item it's more likely a bad disk drive driver.
Interesting that it only loads for that user. MUP.SYS is a file system
driver used for IDE style controllers. Are you sure you properly removed
Daemon Tools?

Joe

"AnthonyG" <AnthonyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business. Other than having
> Daemontools installed (stpd.sys problem) during the install, everything
> seemed to go ok. Now that I've got it up and running, I have the
> following
> problem:
>
> One of my four users (the main account, my account) always gets a blue
> screen of death when logging in with a message about MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
> error.
> The desktop is never shown. All other users are ok and the system seems
> behave properly when they log in. When booting into safe mode, the
> problem
> user can also login ok.
>
> I've tried to isolate what was installed under the problem users account
> and
> deactivate uncessary 'startup' items, but I've not been able to pinpoint
> the
> problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
>
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueUc=?=

Re: BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
Joe,

Thanks for the response. To the best of my knowledge, DaemonTools is gone.
Any recommendations on how to verify?

Realizing this is IDE related, I also had truecrypt mapping a virtual drive
for me for an encrypted volume that has also been removed (I dont know if
that falls in this area or not).

thanks

"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> It's not a startup item it's more likely a bad disk drive driver.
> Interesting that it only loads for that user. MUP.SYS is a file system
> driver used for IDE style controllers. Are you sure you properly removed
> Daemon Tools?
>
> Joe
>
> "AnthonyG" <AnthonyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just upgraded XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business. Other than having
> > Daemontools installed (stpd.sys problem) during the install, everything
> > seemed to go ok. Now that I've got it up and running, I have the
> > following
> > problem:
> >
> > One of my four users (the main account, my account) always gets a blue
> > screen of death when logging in with a message about MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
> > error.
> > The desktop is never shown. All other users are ok and the system seems
> > behave properly when they log in. When booting into safe mode, the
> > problem
> > user can also login ok.
> >
> > I've tried to isolate what was installed under the problem users account
> > and
> > deactivate uncessary 'startup' items, but I've not been able to pinpoint
> > the
> > problem.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
> >
> > thanks

Peter Foldes

Re: BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
Is it this what your user is getting? If it is then see below

mup_file_system

Advanced.

0X00000103 (0X00020920, 0X81A98680, 0X824078P0, 0X819606E0)

Problem being you have an IRQ problem. Switch your PCI Cards around. (IRQ2 is assigned to a COM port that is unavailable.)

--
Peter

"AnthonyG" <AnthonyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3909F74-C364-40A8-BAD2-6A1DA5324DE1@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business. Other than having
> Daemontools installed (stpd.sys problem) during the install, everything
> seemed to go ok. Now that I've got it up and running, I have the following
> problem:
>
> One of my four users (the main account, my account) always gets a blue
> screen of death when logging in with a message about MUP_FILE_SYSTEM error.
> The desktop is never shown. All other users are ok and the system seems to
> behave properly when they log in. When booting into safe mode, the problem
> user can also login ok.
>
> I've tried to isolate what was installed under the problem users account and
> deactivate uncessary 'startup' items, but I've not been able to pinpoint the
> problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
>
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueUc=?=

Re: BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
Peter,

Mine looks a little different:

STOP: 0x00000103 (0x00000001, 0x886B5E20,0x887F3390,0x8491E0E0)

Still the same prob?

thanks

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Is it this what your user is getting? If it is then see below
>
> mup_file_system
>
> Advanced.
>
> 0X00000103 (0X00020920, 0X81A98680, 0X824078P0, 0X819606E0)
>

> Problem being you have an IRQ problem. Switch your PCI Cards around. (IRQ2 is assigned to a COM port that is unavailable.)
>
> --
> Peter

> "AnthonyG" <AnthonyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3909F74-C364-40A8-BAD2-6A1DA5324DE1@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just upgraded XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business. Other than having
> > Daemontools installed (stpd.sys problem) during the install, everything
> > seemed to go ok. Now that I've got it up and running, I have the following
> > problem:
> >
> > One of my four users (the main account, my account) always gets a blue
> > screen of death when logging in with a message about MUP_FILE_SYSTEM error.
> > The desktop is never shown. All other users are ok and the system seems to
> > behave properly when they log in. When booting into safe mode, the problem
> > user can also login ok.
> >
> > I've tried to isolate what was installed under the problem users account and
> > deactivate uncessary 'startup' items, but I've not been able to pinpoint the
> > problem.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
> >
> > thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QW50aG9ueUc=?=

RE: BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
As an update to this topic:

I've narrowed this down to only seeing the crash when a printer is added via
UNC. That is the user that was crashing has the printer in its profile
(since removed via regedit). The other users that were fine all crashed with
the MUP_FILE_SYSTEM error when trying to add a printer via the network. As
soon as the 'search' of the network was started, the crash was seen.

Any ideas anyone?

"AnthonyG" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded XP Pro SP2 to Vista Business. Other than having
> Daemontools installed (stpd.sys problem) during the install, everything
> seemed to go ok. Now that I've got it up and running, I have the following
> problem:
>
> One of my four users (the main account, my account) always gets a blue
> screen of death when logging in with a message about MUP_FILE_SYSTEM error.
> The desktop is never shown. All other users are ok and the system seems to
> behave properly when they log in. When booting into safe mode, the problem
> user can also login ok.
>
> I've tried to isolate what was installed under the problem users account and
> deactivate uncessary 'startup' items, but I've not been able to pinpoint the
> problem.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
>
> thanks

Nunaya.Bidnez@gmail.com

Re: BSOD MUP_FILE_SYSTEM
I've seen a similar problem caused by a network card. Try a different
network card and see if the problem goes away.