Windows Vista Ultimate Installation

=?Utf-8?B?czg1aHg=?=

Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
Hi,

I recently purchased Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. When I come to do a
clean install, it asks me for a CD / DVD driver.

After reading several topics in here, I discovered that it was looking for
the IDE controller drivers. I downloaded the vista ones and put them on cd.
It saw the drivers whilst the "dont show drivers that aren't compatible" box
was ticked. I selected the driver and clicked next and it came up with the
same error message.

I then read further on this site, and I was told to try using the old
drivers. I tried these and still got the same message.

I have searched several sites and cannot find anything specific to this
problem

Please help...

Thanks
John Barnes

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
Vista has all the CD DVD and IDE drivers it needs. Maybe if you were a
little more specific as to the steps you went thru and exactly when it asked
for the drivers, someone could help

"s85hx" <s85hx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. When I come to do a
> clean install, it asks me for a CD / DVD driver.
>
> After reading several topics in here, I discovered that it was looking for
> the IDE controller drivers. I downloaded the vista ones and put them on
> cd.
> It saw the drivers whilst the "dont show drivers that aren't compatible"
> box
> was ticked. I selected the driver and clicked next and it came up with the
> same error message.
>
> I then read further on this site, and I was told to try using the old
> drivers. I tried these and still got the same message.
>
> I have searched several sites and cannot find anything specific to this
> problem
>
> Please help...
>
> Thanks

Dustin Harper

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
I beg to differ. My laptop required the IDE drivers (Newer Gateway P4
laptop). Threw them on a disk and the install finished and worked great. It
took a long while to get them working though.

I was doing a dual boot, couldn't find the drivers off the Gateway site, so
I used the Windows XP drivers. Worked this time. Not sure if it would work
for you, though.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

> Vista has all the CD DVD and IDE drivers it needs. Maybe if you were a
> little more specific as to the steps you went thru and exactly when it
> asked for the drivers, someone could help
>
> "s85hx" <s85hx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently purchased Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. When I come to do a
>> clean install, it asks me for a CD / DVD driver.
>>
>> After reading several topics in here, I discovered that it was looking
>> for
>> the IDE controller drivers. I downloaded the vista ones and put them on
>> cd.
>> It saw the drivers whilst the "dont show drivers that aren't compatible"
>> box
>> was ticked. I selected the driver and clicked next and it came up with
>> the
>> same error message.
>>
>> I then read further on this site, and I was told to try using the old
>> drivers. I tried these and still got the same message.
>>
>> I have searched several sites and cannot find anything specific to this
>> problem
>>
>> Please help...
>>
>> Thanks

John Barnes

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
There hasn't been a change in IDE standards since XP that would require any
drivers but the Microsoft supplied atapi.sys and ataport.sys
Just curious what driver you have installed.

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>I beg to differ. My laptop required the IDE drivers (Newer Gateway P4
>laptop). Threw them on a disk and the install finished and worked great. It
>took a long while to get them working though.
>
> I was doing a dual boot, couldn't find the drivers off the Gateway site,
> so I used the Windows XP drivers. Worked this time. Not sure if it would
> work for you, though.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Vista has all the CD DVD and IDE drivers it needs. Maybe if you were a
>> little more specific as to the steps you went thru and exactly when it
>> asked for the drivers, someone could help
>>
>> "s85hx" <s85hx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently purchased Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. When I come to do a
>>> clean install, it asks me for a CD / DVD driver.
>>>
>>> After reading several topics in here, I discovered that it was looking
>>> for
>>> the IDE controller drivers. I downloaded the vista ones and put them on
>>> cd.
>>> It saw the drivers whilst the "dont show drivers that aren't compatible"
>>> box
>>> was ticked. I selected the driver and clicked next and it came up with
>>> the
>>> same error message.
>>>
>>> I then read further on this site, and I was told to try using the old
>>> drivers. I tried these and still got the same message.
>>>
>>> I have searched several sites and cannot find anything specific to this
>>> problem
>>>
>>> Please help...
>>>
>>> Thanks

DevilsPGD

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
In message <uhNxOZ7fHHA.4980@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "John Barnes"
<jbarnes@email.net> wrote:

>There hasn't been a change in IDE standards since XP that would require any
>drivers but the Microsoft supplied atapi.sys and ataport.sys
>Just curious what driver you have installed.

The IDE standard may not have changed, but that doesn't mean that there
aren't IDE controllers which need updated drivers.

It's possible the controller adds some of it's own memory for caching,
for example. RAID is another example, although less likely on a laptop
(but not impossible, I have a laptop that supports three physical
drives)

--
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
John Barnes

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
No one was talking about RAID, which does need drivers. Name one IDE
controller that doesn't function with default IDE drivers.

"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <uhNxOZ7fHHA.4980@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "John Barnes"
> <jbarnes@email.net> wrote:
>
>>There hasn't been a change in IDE standards since XP that would require
>>any
>>drivers but the Microsoft supplied atapi.sys and ataport.sys
>>Just curious what driver you have installed.

> The IDE standard may not have changed, but that doesn't mean that there
> aren't IDE controllers which need updated drivers.
>
> It's possible the controller adds some of it's own memory for caching,
> for example. RAID is another example, although less likely on a laptop
> (but not impossible, I have a laptop that supports three physical
> drives)
>
> --
> I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

John Barnes

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
Not esoteric server boards, though.

> No one was talking about RAID, which does need drivers. Name one IDE
> controller that doesn't function with default IDE drivers.
>
> "DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
>> In message <uhNxOZ7fHHA.4980@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "John Barnes"
>> <jbarnes@email.net> wrote:
>>
>>>There hasn't been a change in IDE standards since XP that would require
>>>any
>>>drivers but the Microsoft supplied atapi.sys and ataport.sys
>>>Just curious what driver you have installed.

>> The IDE standard may not have changed, but that doesn't mean that there
>> aren't IDE controllers which need updated drivers.
>>
>> It's possible the controller adds some of it's own memory for caching,
>> for example. RAID is another example, although less likely on a laptop
>> (but not impossible, I have a laptop that supports three physical
>> drives)
>>
>> --
>> I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

=?Utf-8?B?czg1aHg=?=

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
I choose the language to install vista in and then it waits and then asks a
few mins later "cannot find cd/dvd driver etc...." I downloaded the vista
JMicron IDE Controller from the MSI website.

It can see the driver and when I click next, it waits a few mins and then
says "unable to find new driver" It is exactly the same when I try the old
drivers as well for XP. Its happening at the very beginning of the
installation and I have the correct drivers, but it just won't accept them.

What would you recommend?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Vista has all the CD DVD and IDE drivers it needs. Maybe if you were a
> little more specific as to the steps you went thru and exactly when it asked
> for the drivers, someone could help
>
> "s85hx" <s85hx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently purchased Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. When I come to do a
> > clean install, it asks me for a CD / DVD driver.
> >
> > After reading several topics in here, I discovered that it was looking for
> > the IDE controller drivers. I downloaded the vista ones and put them on
> > cd.
> > It saw the drivers whilst the "dont show drivers that aren't compatible"
> > box
> > was ticked. I selected the driver and clicked next and it came up with the
> > same error message.
> >
> > I then read further on this site, and I was told to try using the old
> > drivers. I tried these and still got the same message.
> >
> > I have searched several sites and cannot find anything specific to this
> > problem
> >
> > Please help...
> >
> > Thanks

John Barnes

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
Does the MOBO have a later BIOS? When you say it waits, is anything showing
as doing anything (if so, what), or is it a hang type wait? It is using the
DVD player when it asks you so it has the driver. It asks for any drive hd
drivers at the time you select the place to make the installation. Since we
have no idea about your system, how about providing some information. What
are you installing on? Others have had to temporarily unplug extra hard
drives and cd drives. Do you have multiple CD/DVD drives? Both IDE and
SATA hard drives?

>I choose the language to install vista in and then it waits and then asks a
> few mins later "cannot find cd/dvd driver etc...." I downloaded the vista
> JMicron IDE Controller from the MSI website.
>
> It can see the driver and when I click next, it waits a few mins and then
> says "unable to find new driver" It is exactly the same when I try the old
> drivers as well for XP. Its happening at the very beginning of the
> installation and I have the correct drivers, but it just won't accept
> them.
>
> What would you recommend?
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Vista has all the CD DVD and IDE drivers it needs. Maybe if you were a
>> little more specific as to the steps you went thru and exactly when it
>> asked
>> for the drivers, someone could help
>>
>> "s85hx" <s85hx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I recently purchased Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. When I come to do a
>> > clean install, it asks me for a CD / DVD driver.
>> >
>> > After reading several topics in here, I discovered that it was looking
>> > for
>> > the IDE controller drivers. I downloaded the vista ones and put them on
>> > cd.
>> > It saw the drivers whilst the "dont show drivers that aren't
>> > compatible"
>> > box
>> > was ticked. I selected the driver and clicked next and it came up with
>> > the
>> > same error message.
>> >
>> > I then read further on this site, and I was told to try using the old
>> > drivers. I tried these and still got the same message.
>> >
>> > I have searched several sites and cannot find anything specific to this
>> > problem
>> >
>> > Please help...
>> >
>> > Thanks

DevilsPGD

Re: Windows Vista Ultimate Installation
In message <evJLt48fHHA.2640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> "John Barnes"
<jbarnes@email.net> wrote:

>Not esoteric server boards, though.

Sure -- In that case, lets just name all the IDE controllers that need
additional drivers that don't work with the built-in IDE drivers.

*sigh*

--
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.