MS Office XP on Windows Vista

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBoaW5l?=

MS Office XP on Windows Vista
I would like to know if I can install MS office XP (should be 2002, I think)
on Window Vista. I am thinking of buying a notebook which is loaded with
window vista, however afraid that I can't use a simple program such as excel
or word which is the reason I buy the notebook. On top of that, I do not wish
to pay additional for a new MS office or downgrade the OS to Win XP.

Conor

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
In article <E1455FA6-353B-481B-8292-F6141D2C404C@microsoft.com>,
Josephine says...
> I would like to know if I can install MS office XP (should be 2002, I think)
> on Window Vista. I am thinking of buying a notebook which is loaded with
> window vista, however afraid that I can't use a simple program such as excel
> or word which is the reason I buy the notebook. On top of that, I do not wish
> to pay additional for a new MS office or downgrade the OS to Win XP.

Office XP works as does OpenOffice.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Joe Guidera

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932087/en-us

Joe

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.208c24c3ee8353e698a509@news.karoo.co.uk.. .
> In article <E1455FA6-353B-481B-8292-F6141D2C404C@microsoft.com>,
> Josephine says...
>> I would like to know if I can install MS office XP (should be 2002, I
>> think)
>> on Window Vista. I am thinking of buying a notebook which is loaded with
>> window vista, however afraid that I can't use a simple program such as
>> excel
>> or word which is the reason I buy the notebook. On top of that, I do not
>> wish
>> to pay additional for a new MS office or downgrade the OS to Win XP.
>>

> Office XP works as does OpenOffice.
>
> --
> Conor
>
> Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
> until you hear them speak.........

Chad Harris

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
Hi Josephine--

I don't understand your comment "however afraid I can't use a simple program
such as Excel or Word which is the reason I buy the notebook"

What the MSKB doesn't say is that Outlook 2002 works fine, but email account
passwords are not saved. This is because Outlook stores passwords in
protected storage interface and Vista
does not support it.

Otherwise you can sure use Office XP and all its components in Vista.
Uninstall any trials of Office if you have them first.

Good luck,

CH

"Josephine" <Josephine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if I can install MS office XP (should be 2002, I
>think)
> on Window Vista. I am thinking of buying a notebook which is loaded with
> window vista, however afraid that I can't use a simple program such as
> excel
> or word which is the reason I buy the notebook. On top of that, I do not
> wish
> to pay additional for a new MS office or downgrade the OS to Win XP.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBoaW5l?=

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
Hi Harris

What i mean is if i buy a notebook which is loaded with vista and if my
current MS office XP can't be used on vista, then those basic program such as
words/excel can't be used too right?

So u are saying that MS office XP should be able to install on a Vista OS
right, only Outlook 2002 can't be used?

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Hi Josephine--
>
> I don't understand your comment "however afraid I can't use a simple program
> such as Excel or Word which is the reason I buy the notebook"
>
> What the MSKB doesn't say is that Outlook 2002 works fine, but email account
> passwords are not saved. This is because Outlook stores passwords in
> protected storage interface and Vista
> does not support it.
>
> Otherwise you can sure use Office XP and all its components in Vista.
> Uninstall any trials of Office if you have them first.
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>
> "Josephine" <Josephine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to know if I can install MS office XP (should be 2002, I
> >think)
> > on Window Vista. I am thinking of buying a notebook which is loaded with
> > window vista, however afraid that I can't use a simple program such as
> > excel
> > or word which is the reason I buy the notebook. On top of that, I do not
> > wish
> > to pay additional for a new MS office or downgrade the OS to Win XP.

XS11E

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
Josephine <Josephine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> What i mean is if i buy a notebook which is loaded with vista and
> if my current MS office XP can't be used on vista, then those
> basic program such as words/excel can't be used too right?

Right, but Office XP *CAN* be used on Vista.

> So u are saying that MS office XP should be able to install on a
> Vista OS right, only Outlook 2002 can't be used?

Right/wrong. Office XP will install on Vista and Outlook 2002 will
work perfectly with an annoying bug. When you set up your email
accounts, Outlook 2002 will NOT remember your user name/passwords so
you'll have to re-enter them every time you open Outlook.

An easy work around is to open Outlook, enter the information, check
your email and then leave Outlook open until you turn off your
computer. As long as Outlook is open the account info will be
retained, when you close Outlook, the account info will be lost so
don't close it until you turn off your computer.

Chad Harris

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
Hi Josephine--

I'm saying Office XP including Outlook will work fine on Vista--install
away--you will be okay. But I qualified that with respect to one function
in Outlook, saving account passwords which many users don't use anyway,
Vista will not support saving account passwords and I included my source
below.

Here's how this works.

One can buy Office 2007 or other Office Versions in the past and there are
different editions of Office at different prices containing the components
of Office. These vary--as to what they give you, and by components of
Office I mean the programs or apps like Word, Excel, Power Point etc. I
think you will understand this best and easiest if you go in general to
http://office.microsoft.com which has a multitude of resources including
prices, how tos and what is in each edition.

You can view the prices and editions, suites, and programs here to see what
Office 2007 includes:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...4511033.aspx#1

Suites in Office 2007

To answer your question directly though, you ***CAN use Office XP on Vista.
That also means that you can use whatever applications like Word and Excel
which to my knowledge are always included in any *edition (remember Office
with different apps like Word, Excel, Powerpoint (Access is often not
included in some editions) included depending on what you pay.

I didn't say Josephine, that Outlook cannot be used, but I qualified certain
components in Outlook that are not supported on Vista depending on the
Version (year they came out--for example Office XP was released with its
components called 2002--Office 2003 similarly, and Office 2007 has
components released 2007).

From Diane Poremsky who is an Office, Outlook, One Note and a number of
other topics expert at www.slipstick.com

"Outlook 2002 works fine but email account passwords are not saved. This is
because Outlook stores passwords in protected storage interface and Vista
does not support it." This would only impact you if you wanted/needed to
save those passwords. Many people don't.

If you have more questions fire away. I want you to understand also that
when you get into the details of any Office program, MSFT has specific
newsgroups for those programs (for example excellent Outlook groups and
excellent Word groups, and Excel groups with many experts on them.

If you have any more questions though about using them in general, put them
up and we'll be glad to answer them.

> Hi Harris
>
> What i mean is if i buy a notebook which is loaded with vista and if my
> current MS office XP can't be used on vista, then those basic program such
> as
> words/excel can't be used too right?
>
> So u are saying that MS office XP should be able to install on a Vista OS
> right, only Outlook 2002 can't be used?
>
> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Hi Josephine--
>>
>> I don't understand your comment "however afraid I can't use a simple
>> program
>> such as Excel or Word which is the reason I buy the notebook"
>>
>> What the MSKB doesn't say is that Outlook 2002 works fine, but email
>> account
>> passwords are not saved. This is because Outlook stores passwords in
>> protected storage interface and Vista
>> does not support it.
>>
>> Otherwise you can sure use Office XP and all its components in Vista.
>> Uninstall any trials of Office if you have them first.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>>
>> "Josephine" <Josephine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like to know if I can install MS office XP (should be 2002, I
>> >think)
>> > on Window Vista. I am thinking of buying a notebook which is loaded
>> > with
>> > window vista, however afraid that I can't use a simple program such as
>> > excel
>> > or word which is the reason I buy the notebook. On top of that, I do
>> > not
>> > wish
>> > to pay additional for a new MS office or downgrade the OS to Win XP.

Chad Harris

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
Josephine--

I should have included XS11E's explanation and workaround. But go ahead and
install Office XP on Vista by all means. You might want to look at the
pricelist and consider moving to a newer version, and remember that if you
go to http://office.microsoft.com you can try Office 2007 free for 60 days
and compare the new ribbon to Office XP and see what you like. Student and
Teacher editions are the most inexpensive, and I included a link to a price
list.

Good luck,

CH

"Josephine" <Josephine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Harris
>
> What i mean is if i buy a notebook which is loaded with vista and if my
> current MS office XP can't be used on vista, then those basic program such
> as
> words/excel can't be used too right?
>
> So u are saying that MS office XP should be able to install on a Vista OS
> right, only Outlook 2002 can't be used?
>
> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Hi Josephine--
>>
>> I don't understand your comment "however afraid I can't use a simple
>> program
>> such as Excel or Word which is the reason I buy the notebook"
>>
>> What the MSKB doesn't say is that Outlook 2002 works fine, but email
>> account
>> passwords are not saved. This is because Outlook stores passwords in
>> protected storage interface and Vista
>> does not support it.
>>
>> Otherwise you can sure use Office XP and all its components in Vista.
>> Uninstall any trials of Office if you have them first.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>>
>> "Josephine" <Josephine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like to know if I can install MS office XP (should be 2002, I
>> >think)
>> > on Window Vista. I am thinking of buying a notebook which is loaded
>> > with
>> > window vista, however afraid that I can't use a simple program such as
>> > excel
>> > or word which is the reason I buy the notebook. On top of that, I do
>> > not
>> > wish
>> > to pay additional for a new MS office or downgrade the OS to Win XP.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgQnJvd24=?=

Re: MS Office XP on Windows Vista
I have Office 2003 and I do not have to login to Outlook each time to check
email. Everything has worked with no problems for over 2 months.

--Ed