Windows Vista fails to install

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBB?=

Windows Vista fails to install
Hello! I have been trying to install Windows Vista for the past couple of days.

Problem:
When trying to install Windows Vista, the installation goes through the
copying and expanding of files, all the way to where it starts opening Vista
for the first time, then gives the error:

"This version of Windows could not be installed.

Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to
use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online
to see if it is compatible with your computer. Go to the Microsoft website
(www.microsoft.com) and search for 'upgrade advisor'."

Here is a screen shot of the error message:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/untitled.jpg

Attempted methods of installation:
1) Having a cleanly installed (fdisk and then format) Windows XP, then
running the setup disk while booted into Windows XP.
2) Booting off the Vista disk, having it detect the installed version of XP,
and then having the setup re-partition/format the drive and install Vista.

In both ways, it detects the installed version of Windows XP, copies the
files, expands them, sets everything up, but once it starts loading Windows
Vista for the first time, it gives that error message.

Current OS: Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition OEM
Vista version: Windows Vista Business 64bit OEM (Express Upgrade)

Explanation for choise of Vista: I purchased the OEM version of XP 64bit
from the computer shop that I got all of my hardware from. It came with a
free Vista upgrade coupon. This is the version of Vista that I got from
Moduslink.

Here is the basic information about my system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
1GB DDR400 memory (dual channel mode)
Asus A8N5X BIOS version 0902 (latest non-BETA BIOS version)
Seagate ST3320620NS (320gb SATA/2)
eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 XT (PCI-Express, 256mb)
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI (OEM)
Hitachi DVD-ROM - on IDE primary channel
Pioneer DVD-burner - on IDE secondary channel
Logitech G7 mouse USB
Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Vista fails to install
Is your XP install partitioned and how many partitions

--
Peter

"Tony A" <Tony A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C06E96BD-7A77-42D7-BE8D-14CBB390BE9F@microsoft.com...
> Hello! I have been trying to install Windows Vista for the past couple of days.
>
> Problem:
> When trying to install Windows Vista, the installation goes through the
> copying and expanding of files, all the way to where it starts opening Vista
> for the first time, then gives the error:
>
> "This version of Windows could not be installed.
>
> Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to
> use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online
> to see if it is compatible with your computer. Go to the Microsoft website
> (www.microsoft.com) and search for 'upgrade advisor'."
>
> Here is a screen shot of the error message:
> http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/untitled.jpg
>
> Attempted methods of installation:
> 1) Having a cleanly installed (fdisk and then format) Windows XP, then
> running the setup disk while booted into Windows XP.
> 2) Booting off the Vista disk, having it detect the installed version of XP,
> and then having the setup re-partition/format the drive and install Vista.
>
> In both ways, it detects the installed version of Windows XP, copies the
> files, expands them, sets everything up, but once it starts loading Windows
> Vista for the first time, it gives that error message.
>
> Current OS: Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition OEM
> Vista version: Windows Vista Business 64bit OEM (Express Upgrade)
>
> Explanation for choise of Vista: I purchased the OEM version of XP 64bit
> from the computer shop that I got all of my hardware from. It came with a
> free Vista upgrade coupon. This is the version of Vista that I got from
> Moduslink.
>
> Here is the basic information about my system:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
> 1GB DDR400 memory (dual channel mode)
> Asus A8N5X BIOS version 0902 (latest non-BETA BIOS version)
> Seagate ST3320620NS (320gb SATA/2)
> eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 XT (PCI-Express, 256mb)
> Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI (OEM)
> Hitachi DVD-ROM - on IDE primary channel
> Pioneer DVD-burner - on IDE secondary channel
> Logitech G7 mouse USB

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBB?=

Re: Windows Vista fails to install
Windows XP Professional 64bit edition is currently (and has been) installed
on a single partition. This hard drive (the Seagate 320gb drive), only has
one partition created using 100% of the drive, which I created using the
Windows XP installer.

When I tried installing Vista from DVD boot, I deleted all of the partitions
and created one using 100% of the hard drive, but the same thing occured.

I am not attempting to do a dual boot or anything like that. I only want
Vista installed, and am not using any other hard drive in this system at this
time.

Thanks for the reply!
Tony

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Is your XP install partitioned and how many partitions
>
> --
> Peter

> "Tony A" <Tony A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C06E96BD-7A77-42D7-BE8D-14CBB390BE9F@microsoft.com...
> > Hello! I have been trying to install Windows Vista for the past couple of days.
> >
> > Problem:
> > When trying to install Windows Vista, the installation goes through the
> > copying and expanding of files, all the way to where it starts opening Vista
> > for the first time, then gives the error:
> >
> > "This version of Windows could not be installed.
> >
> > Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to
> > use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online
> > to see if it is compatible with your computer. Go to the Microsoft website
> > (www.microsoft.com) and search for 'upgrade advisor'."
> >
> > Here is a screen shot of the error message:
> > http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/untitled.jpg
> >
> > Attempted methods of installation:
> > 1) Having a cleanly installed (fdisk and then format) Windows XP, then
> > running the setup disk while booted into Windows XP.
> > 2) Booting off the Vista disk, having it detect the installed version of XP,
> > and then having the setup re-partition/format the drive and install Vista.
> >
> > In both ways, it detects the installed version of Windows XP, copies the
> > files, expands them, sets everything up, but once it starts loading Windows
> > Vista for the first time, it gives that error message.
> >
> > Current OS: Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition OEM
> > Vista version: Windows Vista Business 64bit OEM (Express Upgrade)
> >
> > Explanation for choise of Vista: I purchased the OEM version of XP 64bit
> > from the computer shop that I got all of my hardware from. It came with a
> > free Vista upgrade coupon. This is the version of Vista that I got from
> > Moduslink.
> >
> > Here is the basic information about my system:
> >
> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
> > 1GB DDR400 memory (dual channel mode)
> > Asus A8N5X BIOS version 0902 (latest non-BETA BIOS version)
> > Seagate ST3320620NS (320gb SATA/2)
> > eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 XT (PCI-Express, 256mb)
> > Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI (OEM)
> > Hitachi DVD-ROM - on IDE primary channel
> > Pioneer DVD-burner - on IDE secondary channel
> > Logitech G7 mouse USB

John Barnes

Re: Windows Vista fails to install
Would try the usual, unplug all USB devices, especially on 64-bit versions.
If you have a PS2 mouse use it.
Since there is no upgrade advisor for 64-bit, no help there. :-)
Stick with installing from the DVD boot.
BIOS's can be problematical. You might give the beta a try, depending on
what they say the changes are. Also, sometimes an older version will work
when the newer ones won't so you might try going back 1 version.

> [...]
>> > Vista for the first time, it gives that error message.
>> >
>> > Current OS: Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition OEM
>> > Vista version: Windows Vista Business 64bit OEM (Express Upgrade)
>> >
>> > Explanation for choise of Vista: I purchased the OEM version of XP
>> > 64bit
>> > from the computer shop that I got all of my hardware from. It came with
>> > free Vista upgrade coupon. This is the version of Vista that I got from
>> > Moduslink.
>> >
>> > Here is the basic information about my system:
>> >
>> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
>> > 1GB DDR400 memory (dual channel mode)
>> > Asus A8N5X BIOS version 0902 (latest non-BETA BIOS version)
>> > Seagate ST3320620NS (320gb SATA/2)
>> > eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 XT (PCI-Express, 256mb)
>> > Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI (OEM)
>> > Hitachi DVD-ROM - on IDE primary channel
>> > Pioneer DVD-burner - on IDE secondary channel

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: Windows Vista fails to install
Have you tried to install vista on a partition?rather then over XP
Do not enter the key untill later in the install. get it up and running then
enter the key. you might have to reinstall vista over vista but thar seems to
help some install's for some silly reason.

It sound like you have an upgrade version of vista! try a clean install trick
good luck

"Tony A" wrote:

> Hello! I have been trying to install Windows Vista for the past couple of days.
>
> Problem:
> When trying to install Windows Vista, the installation goes through the
> copying and expanding of files, all the way to where it starts opening Vista
> for the first time, then gives the error:
>
> "This version of Windows could not be installed.
>
> Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to
> use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online
> to see if it is compatible with your computer. Go to the Microsoft website
> (www.microsoft.com) and search for 'upgrade advisor'."
>
> Here is a screen shot of the error message:
> http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/untitled.jpg
>
> Attempted methods of installation:
> 1) Having a cleanly installed (fdisk and then format) Windows XP, then
> running the setup disk while booted into Windows XP.
> 2) Booting off the Vista disk, having it detect the installed version of XP,
> and then having the setup re-partition/format the drive and install Vista.
>
> In both ways, it detects the installed version of Windows XP, copies the
> files, expands them, sets everything up, but once it starts loading Windows
> Vista for the first time, it gives that error message.
>
> Current OS: Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition OEM
> Vista version: Windows Vista Business 64bit OEM (Express Upgrade)
>
> Explanation for choise of Vista: I purchased the OEM version of XP 64bit
> from the computer shop that I got all of my hardware from. It came with a
> free Vista upgrade coupon. This is the version of Vista that I got from
> Moduslink.
>
> Here is the basic information about my system:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
> 1GB DDR400 memory (dual channel mode)
> Asus A8N5X BIOS version 0902 (latest non-BETA BIOS version)
> Seagate ST3320620NS (320gb SATA/2)
> eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 XT (PCI-Express, 256mb)
> Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI (OEM)
> Hitachi DVD-ROM - on IDE primary channel
> Pioneer DVD-burner - on IDE secondary channel
> Logitech G7 mouse USB

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBB?=

RE: Windows Vista fails to install
Yes, after the Windows Vista installation detects an existing installation of
XP on the computer (which is required to install), it allows me to remove the
XP partition, create a new one, and format it. So yes, I have tried
installing Vista cleanly without any trace of XP on the system.

What I am going to try next is:
1) Plug in a PS/2 mouse
2) Remove every PCI card (and only having my video card in)

If that fails, I am going to update my BIOS to the latest BETA version
(version 1003).

Let me know if anyone here has any other suggestions! I can provide the huge
install log if anyone wants to take a look at it.

"loaderopp" wrote:

> Have you tried to install vista on a partition?rather then over XP
> Do not enter the key untill later in the install. get it up and running then
> enter the key. you might have to reinstall vista over vista but thar seems to
> help some install's for some silly reason.
>
> It sound like you have an upgrade version of vista! try a clean install trick
> good luck
>

> "Tony A" wrote:
>
> > Hello! I have been trying to install Windows Vista for the past couple of days.
> >
> > Problem:
> > When trying to install Windows Vista, the installation goes through the
> > copying and expanding of files, all the way to where it starts opening Vista
> > for the first time, then gives the error:
> >
> > "This version of Windows could not be installed.
> >
> > Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to
> > use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online
> > to see if it is compatible with your computer. Go to the Microsoft website
> > (www.microsoft.com) and search for 'upgrade advisor'."
> >
> > Here is a screen shot of the error message:
> > http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/untitled.jpg
> >
> > Attempted methods of installation:
> > 1) Having a cleanly installed (fdisk and then format) Windows XP, then
> > running the setup disk while booted into Windows XP.
> > 2) Booting off the Vista disk, having it detect the installed version of XP,
> > and then having the setup re-partition/format the drive and install Vista.
> >
> > In both ways, it detects the installed version of Windows XP, copies the
> > files, expands them, sets everything up, but once it starts loading Windows
> > Vista for the first time, it gives that error message.
> >
> > Current OS: Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition OEM
> > Vista version: Windows Vista Business 64bit OEM (Express Upgrade)
> >
> > Explanation for choise of Vista: I purchased the OEM version of XP 64bit
> > from the computer shop that I got all of my hardware from. It came with a
> > free Vista upgrade coupon. This is the version of Vista that I got from
> > Moduslink.
> >
> > Here is the basic information about my system:
> >
> > AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
> > 1GB DDR400 memory (dual channel mode)
> > Asus A8N5X BIOS version 0902 (latest non-BETA BIOS version)
> > Seagate ST3320620NS (320gb SATA/2)
> > eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 XT (PCI-Express, 256mb)
> > Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI (OEM)
> > Hitachi DVD-ROM - on IDE primary channel
> > Pioneer DVD-burner - on IDE secondary channel
> > Logitech G7 mouse USB

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBB?=

RE: Windows Vista fails to install
YAY IT WORKS!!

Not putting in the serial while installing seemed to allow it to install. It
installed without any issue. And it activated after the install just fine.
Not sure what was up, buit at least I am up and running (right now actually)!

Thanks for all of your help!

Tony

"Tony A" wrote:

> Hello! I have been trying to install Windows Vista for the past couple of days.
>
> Problem:
> When trying to install Windows Vista, the installation goes through the
> copying and expanding of files, all the way to where it starts opening Vista
> for the first time, then gives the error:
>
> "This version of Windows could not be installed.
>
> Your previous version of Windows has been restored, and you can continue to
> use it. Before trying to install this version of Windows again, check online
> to see if it is compatible with your computer. Go to the Microsoft website
> (www.microsoft.com) and search for 'upgrade advisor'."
>
> Here is a screen shot of the error message:
> http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...e/untitled.jpg
>
> Attempted methods of installation:
> 1) Having a cleanly installed (fdisk and then format) Windows XP, then
> running the setup disk while booted into Windows XP.
> 2) Booting off the Vista disk, having it detect the installed version of XP,
> and then having the setup re-partition/format the drive and install Vista.
>
> In both ways, it detects the installed version of Windows XP, copies the
> files, expands them, sets everything up, but once it starts loading Windows
> Vista for the first time, it gives that error message.
>
> Current OS: Windows XP Professional 64bit Edition OEM
> Vista version: Windows Vista Business 64bit OEM (Express Upgrade)
>
> Explanation for choise of Vista: I purchased the OEM version of XP 64bit
> from the computer shop that I got all of my hardware from. It came with a
> free Vista upgrade coupon. This is the version of Vista that I got from
> Moduslink.
>
> Here is the basic information about my system:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
> 1GB DDR400 memory (dual channel mode)
> Asus A8N5X BIOS version 0902 (latest non-BETA BIOS version)
> Seagate ST3320620NS (320gb SATA/2)
> eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 XT (PCI-Express, 256mb)
> Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 PCI (OEM)
> Hitachi DVD-ROM - on IDE primary channel
> Pioneer DVD-burner - on IDE secondary channel
> Logitech G7 mouse USB

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: Windows Vista fails to install
Very Glad to hear,
Not sure why but some people have problems when installing putting the key
in and it stops installing (but) not put the key in and it install's just
fine. Very strange!!!! i have a couple friends that have had the same
troubles, but worked when not inputting the key at install...I am begining to
wonder if it might not be the ISP some people use does not allow the
connection to the site that checks install key's When O/S is not installed
all the way.

But very glad to here your up and running ENJOY!!!