Upgrade to Vista x64 from XP x32

DavidBonsall

Upgrade to Vista x64 from XP x32
Hello,

I have recently purchased Vista 64bit via digital rivers "Ultimate Steal". I
checked through Windows update advisor that it was possible to run this on my
machine and it said that it would be (I am running XP pro x32 on an X58i
motherboard with i7-920 processor and 6GB ram).

As instructed I have downloaded the three files onto my computer
(X14-63453.exe, bootwim, bootmgr.efi) and stored them into a "read and write"
enabled folder on my desktop. When I run the file "X14-63453.exe" A new
folder "Vista" is createdand several subfolders and files extracted but then
I get and error message saying ""

I believe the problem is that I am trying to install vista x64 from an XP
pro x32 OS, and the vista setup files are not Win32 compatible....is this
correct. If so what is the work around?

In understand there is a trial version of XP x64 for download - Where is
it?. Can I install this first and then download the Vista setup files onto my
new desktop and proceed that way?

Regards

David

Bruce Chambers

Re: Upgrade to Vista x64 from XP x32
DavidBonsall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently purchased Vista 64bit via digital rivers "Ultimate Steal". I
> checked through Windows update advisor that it was possible to run this on my
> machine and it said that it would be (I am running XP pro x32 on an X58i
> motherboard with i7-920 processor and 6GB ram).
>
> As instructed I have downloaded the three files onto my computer
> (X14-63453.exe, bootwim, bootmgr.efi) and stored them into a "read and write"
> enabled folder on my desktop. When I run the file "X14-63453.exe" A new
> folder "Vista" is createdand several subfolders and files extracted but then
> I get and error message saying ""
>
> I believe the problem is that I am trying to install vista x64 from an XP
> pro x32 OS, and the vista setup files are not Win32 compatible....is this
> correct. If so what is the work around?
>
> In understand there is a trial version of XP x64 for download - Where is
> it?. Can I install this first and then download the Vista setup files onto my
> new desktop and proceed that way?
>
> Regards
>
> David

It's simply not possible to perform an in-place upgrade from a 32-bit
OS to a 64-bit OS; one must format the system partition and perform a
clean installation. If your "Ultimate Steal" purchase didn't give you
the means of doing this, such as by creating a bootable installation
DVD, you've made the wrong purchase.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
DavidBonsall

Re: Upgrade to Vista x64 from XP x32
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I accept that this is the case - although I
mantain I was misled by the Windows update advisor which did not identify
this issue. However, my question still stands: Can I download a free trial of
XP pro 64 and update vista from there. I have read post from microsoft
developer suggeting this but the link to the free trial is broken.

Regards

David

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> DavidBonsall wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have recently purchased Vista 64bit via digital rivers "Ultimate Steal". I
> > checked through Windows update advisor that it was possible to run this on my
> > machine and it said that it would be (I am running XP pro x32 on an X58i
> > motherboard with i7-920 processor and 6GB ram).
> >
> > As instructed I have downloaded the three files onto my computer
> > (X14-63453.exe, bootwim, bootmgr.efi) and stored them into a "read and write"
> > enabled folder on my desktop. When I run the file "X14-63453.exe" A new
> > folder "Vista" is createdand several subfolders and files extracted but then
> > I get and error message saying ""
> >
> > I believe the problem is that I am trying to install vista x64 from an XP
> > pro x32 OS, and the vista setup files are not Win32 compatible....is this
> > correct. If so what is the work around?
> >
> > In understand there is a trial version of XP x64 for download - Where is
> > it?. Can I install this first and then download the Vista setup files onto my
> > new desktop and proceed that way?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > David
> >

> It's simply not possible to perform an in-place upgrade from a 32-bit
> OS to a 64-bit OS; one must format the system partition and perform a
> clean installation. If your "Ultimate Steal" purchase didn't give you
> the means of doing this, such as by creating a bootable installation
> DVD, you've made the wrong purchase.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

andy

Re: Upgrade to Vista x64 from XP x32
Make 64-bit Windows Vista Bootable DVD from Microsoft WIM with vLite
Guide
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...h-vlite-guide/

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:23:01 -0700, DavidBonsall
<DavidBonsall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have recently purchased Vista 64bit via digital rivers "Ultimate Steal". I
>checked through Windows update advisor that it was possible to run this on my
>machine and it said that it would be (I am running XP pro x32 on an X58i
>motherboard with i7-920 processor and 6GB ram).
>
>As instructed I have downloaded the three files onto my computer
>(X14-63453.exe, bootwim, bootmgr.efi) and stored them into a "read and write"
>enabled folder on my desktop. When I run the file "X14-63453.exe" A new
>folder "Vista" is createdand several subfolders and files extracted but then
>I get and error message saying ""
>
>I believe the problem is that I am trying to install vista x64 from an XP
>pro x32 OS, and the vista setup files are not Win32 compatible....is this
>correct. If so what is the work around?
>
>In understand there is a trial version of XP x64 for download - Where is
>it?. Can I install this first and then download the Vista setup files onto my
>new desktop and proceed that way?
>
>Regards
>
>David

semoi

Re: Upgrade to Vista x64 from XP x32
With an i7 processor you should create a dual boot system with XP and vista
64.
Vista 64 will make 1 gb of ram more available for 32 bit programs and is
generally faster on high end machines than vista 32.
If you dual boot you may be surprised at how slow your machine seems under
any flavor of Vista compared to XP.
Dual booting works best if you install the second OS on a second hard drive,
rather than a different partition on the same hard drive. The Vista boot
loader should configure itself to dual boot with XP automatically if XP is
already installed.
There are a great number of programs that will not run on Vista 64 and many
peripherals have no Vista 64 drivers or they are less functional than their
32 bit counterparts so do not give up a good XP installation.

DavidBonsall wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thanks for your speedy reply. I accept that this is the case - although I
> mantain I was misled by the Windows update advisor which did not identify
> this issue. However, my question still stands: Can I download a free trial of
> XP pro 64 and update vista from there. I have read post from microsoft
> developer suggeting this but the link to the free trial is broken.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no legitimate source from which to
download any version of WinXP, unless one has an expensive TechNet or
MSDN subscription. Nor are there any trial versions of any edition of
WinXP available. Further, WinXPx64 was available only as an OEM
license, and never as a retail license.