Upgrade to Vista?

Simon Dean

Upgrade to Vista?
Hi All,

Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.

So. What to do.

Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
working.

It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to
work, such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble
MPEG-VCR, VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.

Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many issues.

The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?

advice?

cheers
Simon
John Smith

Re: Upgrade to Vista?
Simon Dean pisze:
> Hi All,
>
> Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.
>
> So. What to do.
>
> Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
> working.
>
> It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to
> work, such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble
> MPEG-VCR, VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.
>
> Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many issues.
>
> The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
> Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?
>
> advice?
>
> cheers
> Simon

And what's about of your machine spec? As I know, some multimedia apps
may be slower under Vista. I heard, that some folks have Nero 6 series
running under Vista, but better choice is get a version which is
compatible with new OS.
So:
if you have enough fast computer and can wait for necessary updates for
your apps (if any), just do it

mikeyhsd

Re: Upgrade to Vista?
read the release notes and the install help notes from the dvd. or from the web site.
in general it recommends uninstalling virus and firewall programs.
there are several other programs that are recommended uninstalling before doing the upgrade. I believe that Nero is one of them.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Simon Dean" <sjdean@simtext.plus.com> wrote in message news:58cvdjF2gngg9U1@mid.individual.net...
Hi All,

Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.

So. What to do.

Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
working.

It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to
work, such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble
MPEG-VCR, VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.

Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many issues.

The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?

advice?

cheers
Simon
Rock

Re: Upgrade to Vista?
"Simon Dean" <sjdean@simtext.plus.com> wrote
> Hi All,
>
> Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.
>
> So. What to do.
>
> Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
> working.
>
> It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to work,
> such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble MPEG-VCR,
> VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.
>
> Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many issues.
>
> The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
> Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?

Do some research. Check with the software authors and on the hardware
manufacturer's web sites for compatibility info.

Use a drive imaging program to image the current installation to an
external, USB connected hard drive. Acronis True Image Home, Version 10 is
great for this, with the added benefit that it run in Vista as well as XP so
it can be used for image backups after Vista is installed. If the upgrade
doesn't go well or you just want to go back to XP, then the image can be
restored.

Before doing the upgrade uninstall the following: AV program, 3rd party
firewalls, anti-spyware apps, any CD burning software, any system utilities
such as partition magic (not compatible with Vista), TweakUI, any other
software that uses drivers, and any software flagged by the Upgrade Advisor
and/or by your research as not being compatible with Vista.

Disconnect all peripheral devices except the keyboard, mouse, monitor and CD
drive.

Have available the drivers for the Raid controller if there is one.

Check on the computer manufacturer's web site for info on compatibility /
upgrading to Vista. Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers for all the
hardware.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

...winston

Re: Upgrade to Vista?
Two comments:
- Itunes latest version works with Vista(but the Apple site still says
some issues remain and references msft working on it too)
- Norton(version and application is critical if you expect it to
function)...at this time only NIS07, NAV07, N360 are Vista capable. OEM
included versions are more problematic than retail. And best to remove(if
upgrading Vista on top of XP), and reinstall post Vista up and running and
stable. You may have to disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall prior
to Norton install. Ensure Live Update is run post install to obtain and
install any product upgrades prior to any other update(virus defs, trusted
application list, etc).

Compliments of a post in another forum.
Note: Office Depot Sunday ad offers N360 free after rebates for current
proof of ownership users.
N360 comparison
http://www.symantec.com/norton360/ab...re_norton.html

"Simon Dean" <sjdean@simtext.plus.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.
>
> So. What to do.
>
> Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
> working.
>
> It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to work,
> such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble MPEG-VCR,
> VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.
>
> Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many issues.
>
> The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
> Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?
>
> advice?
>
> cheers
> Simon

Simon Dean

Re: Upgrade to Vista?
Rock wrote:
> "Simon Dean" <sjdean@simtext.plus.com> wrote
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.
>>
>> So. What to do.
>>
>> Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
>> working.
>>
>> It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to
>> work, such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble
>> MPEG-VCR, VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.
>>
>> Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many
>> issues.
>>
>> The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
>> Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?

> Do some research. Check with the software authors and on the hardware
> manufacturer's web sites for compatibility info.
>
> Use a drive imaging program to image the current installation to an
> external, USB connected hard drive. Acronis True Image Home,

That actually sounds like a superlative idea. I actually have a few
networked hard drives, in the way of Linux servers... But I don't think
they're large enough. I must say, I didn't anticpate spending another
£100 or whatever on external devices *in case* Vista doesn't work.

*Shakes head in disbelief and anger*

> Before doing the upgrade uninstall the following: AV program, 3rd party
> firewalls, anti-spyware apps, any CD burning software,

I can, sort of understand the AV software and spyware apps etc, as they
presumably use some system hooks. But CD burning software? What's up
with that?

> Disconnect all peripheral devices except the keyboard, mouse, monitor
> and CD drive.

> Check on the computer manufacturer's web site for info on compatibility
> / upgrading to Vista. Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers for
> all the hardware.

Can't. I built the machine.

Gigabyte GA-M59 SLI Motherboard, with GeForce 7600GS Gfx, 1Gig RAM, 2 x
250 Gig SATA Disks, and I think Im using a 3800+ AMD Athlon 64.

But there are lots of Vista Compatible slogans all over the mobo box.

Cya
Simon
John Barnes

Re: Upgrade to Vista?
> Gigabyte GA-M59 SLI Motherboard, with GeForce 7600GS Gfx, 1Gig RAM, 2 x
> 250 Gig SATA Disks, and I think Im using a 3800+ AMD Athlon 64.
>
> But there are lots of Vista Compatible slogans all over the mobo box.

Same MOBO I have. I have the 7600GT 2gig ram (usually uses around 65%)
several SATAII disks and I had 100% usage and constant hanging with the
3500+ I initially had, but have no problems and around 50-60% usage with the
5200+ X2 I installed.

You most certainly can check the mfg of each piece of hardware you have on
the system. Should be easier since you selected and know what it is YOU
installed.

Robert Moir

Re: Upgrade to Vista?

>> Use a drive imaging program to image the current installation to an
>> external, USB connected hard drive. Acronis True Image Home,

> That actually sounds like a superlative idea. I actually have a few
> networked hard drives, in the way of Linux servers... But I don't think
> they're large enough. I must say, I didn't anticpate spending another £100
> or whatever on external devices *in case* Vista doesn't work.
>
> *Shakes head in disbelief and anger*

Then I don't know what you expected. You seriously would undertake a major
change to your computer's operating system without a backup of your current
working system (or at the absolute least your irreplacable data) first? I
think you'll find *none* of the operating system providers would call that a
good idea.

>> Before doing the upgrade uninstall the following: AV program, 3rd party
>> firewalls, anti-spyware apps, any CD burning software,

> I can, sort of understand the AV software and spyware apps etc, as they
> presumably use some system hooks. But CD burning software? What's up with
> that?

CD Burning software also makes system hooks. Quite a few in fact. You may
have noticed that when you ask it to burn a disk for you it actually takes
control of your hardware?

BTW if you have Nero 6, you'll probably want the latest version of Nero 7
on the new system.

>> Disconnect all peripheral devices except the keyboard, mouse, monitor and
>> CD drive.

>> Check on the computer manufacturer's web site for info on compatibility /
>> upgrading to Vista. Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers for all
>> the hardware.
>>

> Can't. I built the machine.
>
> Gigabyte GA-M59 SLI Motherboard, with GeForce 7600GS Gfx, 1Gig RAM, 2 x
> 250 Gig SATA Disks, and I think Im using a 3800+ AMD Athlon 64.
>
> But there are lots of Vista Compatible slogans all over the mobo box.

Grab the drivers from their site, first.

One final note about iTunes - it isn't 'really' Vista compatible. It *does*
work for most people but there is no guarantee it will work for you. You'll
probably be fine, I'm not trying to panic you, but there is a difference
between 'probably' and 'definately'.

In either case, de-authorise your itunes store account prior to the upgrade
and re-authorise afterward.

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

=?Utf-8?B?bGF3bnpheQ==?=

RE: Upgrade to Vista?
I do not recommend upgrading.. especially if everything is working out for
you already.

Windows Vista is stylish and futuristic..
but it stopped many of my computer accesories from working, such as my
printer..
because it's too advanced.

wheeee.

"Simon Dean" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.
>
> So. What to do.
>
> Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
> working.
>
> It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to
> work, such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble
> MPEG-VCR, VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.
>
> Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many issues.
>
> The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
> Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?
>
> advice?
>
> cheers
> Simon

Rock

Re: Upgrade to Vista?
"Simon Dean" <sjdean@simtext.plus.com> wrote

> Rock wrote:
>> "Simon Dean" <sjdean@simtext.plus.com> wrote
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Got my upgrade disc for Vista Business.
>>>
>>> So. What to do.
>>>
>>> Im just really unsure whether to take the plunge in case things stop
>>> working.
>>>
>>> It's not exactly mission critical what I do, but I want my things to
>>> work, such as iTunes, Norton, Firefox, Thunderbord, VirtualDub, Womble
>>> MPEG-VCR, VideoReDo, TMPGEnc etc.
>>>
>>> Im guessing most of everythings going to work, not seeing too many
>>> issues.
>>>
>>> The only one that has me really wondering is the Nero 6. I understand
>>> Smart Start won't work, and burning is slower than on XP?

>> Do some research. Check with the software authors and on the hardware
>> manufacturer's web sites for compatibility info.
>>
>> Use a drive imaging program to image the current installation to an
>> external, USB connected hard drive. Acronis True Image Home,

> That actually sounds like a superlative idea. I actually have a few
> networked hard drives, in the way of Linux servers... But I don't think
> they're large enough. I must say, I didn't anticpate spending another £100
> or whatever on external devices *in case* Vista doesn't work.
>
> *Shakes head in disbelief and anger*

Why? I learned long ago that drive imaging was one of the best backup and
recovery solutions. I use it on a daily basis to image my system. I never
make software or hardware changes, and certainly never do an OS upgrade
without having a current image.

>> Before doing the upgrade uninstall the following: AV program, 3rd party
>> firewalls, anti-spyware apps, any CD burning software,

> I can, sort of understand the AV software and spyware apps etc, as they
> presumably use some system hooks. But CD burning software? What's up with
> that?

They use drivers. Because of thatr many CD apps that run on XP are not
compatible with Vista without an upgrade of some sort.

>> Disconnect all peripheral devices except the keyboard, mouse, monitor and
>> CD drive.

>> Check on the computer manufacturer's web site for info on compatibility /
>> upgrading to Vista. Make sure you have Vista compatible drivers for all
>> the hardware.
>>

> Can't. I built the machine.

Sure you can. Check with the motherboard manufacturer for drivers, and the
manufacturers of the peripheral hardware.

> Gigabyte GA-M59 SLI Motherboard, with GeForce 7600GS Gfx, 1Gig RAM, 2 x
> 250 Gig SATA Disks, and I think Im using a 3800+ AMD Athlon 64.
>
> But there are lots of Vista Compatible slogans all over the mobo box.

And you are going to trust a couple of printed words?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]