Recovery Discs Don't Work "Fine" and Microsoft Has Responded

Chad Harris

Recovery Discs Don't Work "Fine" and Microsoft Has Responded
Malke recently wrote:

"{This has not been my experience nor that of my colleagues in doing many
hundreds of restore-to-factory-condition jobs on many different brands of
computers. The recovery disks work fine as long as there are no hardware
issues and the correct recovery disks are used."

Malke

MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Richard Urban also seemed to agree in a recent post on the same thread
asking me what I meant by "recovery disc". Mr. Urban asked me the other
day:

"What exactly do you consider a recovery disk? Lets all get on the same page
here.

There is a recovery disk (a disk image) you can make yourself by using
TrueImage or some other such program. Then there are recovery disks that
come with a new computer. Which are you talking about?"

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

I'd like to state to Mr. Urban emphatically that I've had Acronis for years.
I've helped on their forums. Many people can't recover with the disc
Acronis makes.

When I'm trying to fix a Microsoft Windows Operating System, in Vista or any
build of Windows 7, I prefer to use the tools that Microsoft has made rather
than Acronis. I'm going to be blunt here. Microsoft pays their engineers
far more than Acronis will ever dream of paying theirs and there is a damn
good reason. Microsoft's engineers have considerably more education,
training, imagination, and competence than Acronis' personnel, and frankly
Acronis backups (the .tibs) and their Recovery Disc often results in
failure.

OEM Recovery Discs often result in failure and if you watch this group
everyday, you'll see scores of people complaining in a short period of time
that their OEM recovery disc isn't worth using it for a Frisbee. I've
quoted the newest post for help on this thread as I type this to underscore
my point, and also to educate people, including MVPs that Microsoft has
addressed this problem with the ability to make a Startup Repair disc in the
Windows Operating System when they RTM'd Vista SP1 over one year ago on
April 15, 2008. They have elected to continue this utility reached from the
All Programs Menu>Maintenance and ensconced in the C:\Windows\System32
folder in every service pack of Vista including the soon to be released SP2
and they are including it in the next Operating System which I have on good
authority is called Windows 7 in each and every interim build until Windows
7 RTMs.

I have a screenshot below:

This is a screenshot of the two ways to do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharris16

This is the link from Neosmart's website to download and burn the .iso that
allows you to do the same thing as the Maintenance listing on the Vista SP1
and later Programs menu.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc (Vista Startup Repair .iso Download)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

I'd like to once again distinguish between incompetent OEM Recovery discs
and to underscore, highlight, enhance, and showcase that Microsoft, the
company who makes the Windows Operating System as best I can tell (I've
checked carefully on this) has responded forcefully to Malke's contention
with a utility they placed in Windows Vista SP1 and every other build and
version of the OS including Vista SP2 through Windows 7 Build 7106 all the
way to Windows 7 RTM.

hp vista 64 recovery error 1002 by deck60 on 4/12/2008 @ 9:46PM

***This is posted on this group Malke and it's typical of hundreds of posts
I've answered here if not a thousand:***

"i had a problem and used the reinstall disks and it went all the way
through and on disk 3 it came up with error 1002 contact hp if this
problem continues if i take out the dvd and let it boot it has a boot
error i think it wiped my hd clean but not sure if i try the boot on
the hd using the recovery then it brings this error imedatley upon
week and it seems to be dead should i take it back or what I am
begining to hate vista"

Psst Malke--

1) We don't want them to "hate Vista."
2) Mr. Ballmer and Mr. Sinofsky and thousands of former Vista and current
Win 7 team members don't want them to "hate Vista."
3) None of the MVPs or TAP participants wants them to "hate Vista."
4) No one who helps here regularly wants them to "hate Vista."
5) Our goal is to get Vista fixed here, as is yours. The links I've just
shown you maximize the chance to do that, they don't lose peoples' settings,
docs, files, folders, pics, music, movies and schoolwork.
6) These kids can't afford $1600 to have the material retrieved from their
unbacked up hard drive, and neither can a lot of people out of school for
years.
7) That's why Jim Allchin and the Vista team began to work on this utility
to put it in SP1 before the Vista Beta was over and well before Vista RTM'd.
Many of us hammered the point home it was needed, and MSFT listened.
Unfortunately there are a lot of MVPs who are unaware that it even exists
who keep touting OEM recovery discs.

8) Again, I drew you a picture of what I'm talking about to make it easy for
you:

This is a screenshot of the two ways to do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharris16

This is the link from Neosmart's website to download and burn the .iso that
allows you to do the same thing as the Maintenance listing on the Vista SP1
and later Programs menu.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc (Vista Startup Repair .iso Download)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

What would you rather use? The exact same bits from Microsoft from their
Vista DVD to repair the OS or some inferior crap from some OEM who is way
too cheap to give anyone an OS DVD with their newly purchased box?

I think I know the results of any pole in any demography with any age group.
I know I know what Microsoft's intentions were in making this tool.

I hope this answers both Malke's question and Mr. Urban's question. I'm
delighted to take followups. It was my impression that a number of people
who do great work helping on this group were unaware Microsoft has done this
because they never have mentioned it that I can tell, including scores of
MVPs.

Best,

CH

Chad Harris

Re: Recovery Discs Don't Work "Fine" and Microsoft Has Responded
My message should have read "I think I know the results of any poll" I
apologize for the typo.

CH