Install Windows XP after Vista

=?Utf-8?B?YWxiZXJhbm9ubg==?=

Install Windows XP after Vista
I have a notebook ACER 9301 with AMD Turion 64 bits, 180 GB Hard Disk, 2 GB
RAM and Windows Vista but only CD Rescue not OEM.

I Neeed work in this notebook with Windows XP, and i have a OEM CD.

Is possible install Windows XP after Windows Vista, in a new partition? or
it is necessary format the disk, lost Windows Vista and install Windows XP?

In the second option i cannot install after Windows Vista.

I prefer to conserve Vista and install XP after, it's possible?
John Inzer

Re: Install Windows XP after Vista
alberanonn wrote:
> I have a notebook ACER 9301 with AMD Turion 64 bits, 180 GB Hard
> Disk, 2 GB RAM and Windows Vista but only CD Rescue not OEM.
>
> I Neeed work in this notebook with Windows XP, and i have a OEM CD.
>
> Is possible install Windows XP after Windows Vista, in a new
> partition? or it is necessary format the disk, lost Windows Vista and
> install Windows XP?
>
> In the second option i cannot install after Windows Vista.
>
> I prefer to conserve Vista and install XP after, it's possible?

====================================
I'm thinking you may have a problem using an
OEM copy of Win XP...but maybe the following
info will offer some ideas:

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first)
-- the step-by-step guide
http://www.apcstart.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

Another possible solution would be to install WinXP
in a Virtual Machine...have a look at the following links:

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
http://tinyurl.com/2jr7a7

Use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to
run multiple operating systems at
the same time on the same physical
computer.
http://tinyurl.com/387goe

Using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
for Application Compatibility
http://tinyurl.com/2tq2ja
(the Compatibility White Paper
that can be downloaded from this
page is very informative)

Download the full version of Microsoft
Virtual PC 2007
http://tinyurl.com/287fx8

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Rock

Re: Install Windows XP after Vista
"alberanonn" <alberanonn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I have a notebook ACER 9301 with AMD Turion 64 bits, 180 GB Hard Disk, 2 GB
> RAM and Windows Vista but only CD Rescue not OEM.
>
> I Neeed work in this notebook with Windows XP, and i have a OEM CD.
>
> Is possible install Windows XP after Windows Vista, in a new partition? or
> it is necessary format the disk, lost Windows Vista and install Windows
> XP?
>
> In the second option i cannot install after Windows Vista.
>
> I prefer to conserve Vista and install XP after, it's possible?

Yes you can install XP after Vista to it's own partition. It will overwrite
the Vista boot loader files and those will have to be restored to get a dual
boot. I have included a link on how to do this. Also you need to
investigate with Acer tech support to be sure there are XP drivers for that
notebook.

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about88231.html

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]