64-bit version of Home Premium

=?Utf-8?B?VG9kZCBNYXJrcw==?=

64-bit version of Home Premium
I have recently purchased the 32-bit version of Vista, and read that it is
possible to obtain a 64-bit version by contacting Microsoft and ordering the
64-bit DVD for around 10 bucks. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am
running a Pentium D processor, and would like to take advantage of the 64-bit
capability if it's not going to be too much of a hassle. Thanks,
Todd
HairyMcLeary

Re: 64-bit version of Home Premium
"Todd Marks" <Todd Marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased the 32-bit version of Vista, and read that it is
> possible to obtain a 64-bit version by contacting Microsoft and ordering
> the
> 64-bit DVD for around 10 bucks. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am
> running a Pentium D processor, and would like to take advantage of the
> 64-bit
> capability if it's not going to be too much of a hassle. Thanks,
> Todd

It is true, but unless you need a 64-bit version I would stick to the
32-bit.
You will need to ensure that there are 64 bit drivers available for all of
your hardware.

It is important to note that a 64-bit must be a clean install, (you can't
upgrade your present 32-bit version), and Microsoft licensing doesn't allow
you to keep both 32 & 64-bit versions on the same system so you can't dual
boot without paying the full price for another license (the 64-bit "upgrade"
uses your 32-bit activation key)

Regards,
Tony

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

RE: 64-bit version of Home Premium
Hello Todd

Yes you can order the 64 bit version DVD,
It Clean installs only! And you use your 32 bit software key.

Find all your drivers for your hardware before you install, store them on
another hard drive or USB storage device. makes life simple!

Be prepared that some of your software may not install on 64 bit, I have
found only one so far, Older game i have!! And others i thought would not
install run like a charm.

I installed 64 bit version of home media feb 15, i love it. No problems at
all on my system, and it's much faster then Xp was. It has good dual CPU
support.

best of luck and enjoy

"Todd Marks" wrote:

> I have recently purchased the 32-bit version of Vista, and read that it is
> possible to obtain a 64-bit version by contacting Microsoft and ordering the
> 64-bit DVD for around 10 bucks. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am
> running a Pentium D processor, and would like to take advantage of the 64-bit
> capability if it's not going to be too much of a hassle. Thanks,
> Todd

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: 64-bit version of Home Premium
Todd

See the following website for obtaining the disks.

Windows Vista Alternate Media:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

Even if you decide not to install the 64bit version right now, it would be a
good idea to have it in case you decide to use it sometime in the future.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Todd Marks" <Todd Marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased the 32-bit version of Vista, and read that it is
> possible to obtain a 64-bit version by contacting Microsoft and ordering
> the
> 64-bit DVD for around 10 bucks. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am
> running a Pentium D processor, and would like to take advantage of the
> 64-bit
> capability if it's not going to be too much of a hassle. Thanks,
> Todd

Gordon D

Re: 64-bit version of Home Premium
I hate to ask (as I expect I think the answer will be...ha ha. ha ha ha)
but is it possible to do the same with OEM? I recently purchased a Dell XPS
410 w/ Ultimate but of course then it's a pre-installed OEM copy. Dell
pre-installed with 32-bit (no option to purcahse with 64-bit that I saw) and
of course now my box only sees 3GB of the 4GB of installed RAM. Moving to
64-bit would be fine.

If I recall correctly, I wouldn't be able to buy a 64-bit upgrade of
Ultimate and install from that as moving from 32-bit to 64-bit is a no no.
So I imagine my only other recourse would be to buy a full retail copy of
Ultimate.

Thanks kindly,

Gordon

> Todd
>
> See the following website for obtaining the disks.
>
> Windows Vista Alternate Media:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
>
> Even if you decide not to install the 64bit version right now, it would be
> a good idea to have it in case you decide to use it sometime in the
> future.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Todd Marks" <Todd Marks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have recently purchased the 32-bit version of Vista, and read that it is
>> possible to obtain a 64-bit version by contacting Microsoft and ordering
>> the
>> 64-bit DVD for around 10 bucks. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I
>> am
>> running a Pentium D processor, and would like to take advantage of the
>> 64-bit
>> capability if it's not going to be too much of a hassle. Thanks,
>> Todd

DevilsPGD

Re: 64-bit version of Home Premium
In message <16D346E9-3614-4BBA-9C23-7C48C3290E3D@microsoft.com> "Gordon
D" <discussions@contritus.com> wrote:

>I hate to ask (as I expect I think the answer will be...ha ha. ha ha ha)
>but is it possible to do the same with OEM? I recently purchased a Dell XPS
>410 w/ Ultimate but of course then it's a pre-installed OEM copy. Dell
>pre-installed with 32-bit (no option to purcahse with 64-bit that I saw) and
>of course now my box only sees 3GB of the 4GB of installed RAM. Moving to
>64-bit would be fine.
>
>If I recall correctly, I wouldn't be able to buy a 64-bit upgrade of
>Ultimate and install from that as moving from 32-bit to 64-bit is a no no.
>So I imagine my only other recourse would be to buy a full retail copy of
>Ultimate.

Sadly, this appears to be the case. However, you could buy an OEM copy
of your own for less then a full copy. You could also look into getting
a refund for the Dell OEM 32-bit version, although your success will
depend more on luck then anything else.

--
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
=?Utf-8?B?VG9kZCBNYXJrcw==?=

Re: 64-bit version of Home Premium
Thanks for all your help. I am aware of the compatibility issues of the 64
bit version, but like you said, I would like to have a copy of it when the
issues subside. Thanks again,
Todd