upgrade to new disk?

Beemer Biker

upgrade to new disk?
This has probably been asked ... but google didnt find an answer and I didnt
want to slosh thru all the hits.

Can we install the vista upgrade on a clean (new) disk?

I want to put in a new big disk and do a fresh install of vista and not
bother installing it over the old smaller disk that has XP. I assume it is
cheaper to buy an update than an "oem" but I could be mistaken.

We have the original CD for XP, microsoft (not dell or ibm) oem service pack
"zero" and if Vista asks for the original xp cd we actually have it. We
just dont want to bother installing over the old hard drive. This is a
D865Perl motherboard and is 32bit, not 64 and has 2gb and a 3ghz HT intel
cpu.

Joseph "Beemer Biker" Stateson
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT

Rock

Re: upgrade to new disk?
"Beemer Biker" <joestateson@grandecom.net> wrote
> This has probably been asked ... but google didnt find an answer and I
> didnt want to slosh thru all the hits.
>
> Can we install the vista upgrade on a clean (new) disk?
>
> I want to put in a new big disk and do a fresh install of vista and not
> bother installing it over the old smaller disk that has XP. I assume it is
> cheaper to buy an update than an "oem" but I could be mistaken.
>
> We have the original CD for XP, microsoft (not dell or ibm) oem service
> pack "zero" and if Vista asks for the original xp cd we actually have it.
> We just dont want to bother installing over the old hard drive. This is a
> D865Perl motherboard and is 32bit, not 64 and has 2gb and a 3ghz HT intel
> cpu.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Beemer Biker

Re: upgrade to new disk?

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Beemer Biker" <joestateson@grandecom.net> wrote
>> This has probably been asked ... but google didnt find an answer and I
>> didnt want to slosh thru all the hits.
>>
>> Can we install the vista upgrade on a clean (new) disk?
>>
>> I want to put in a new big disk and do a fresh install of vista and not
>> bother installing it over the old smaller disk that has XP. I assume it
>> is cheaper to buy an update than an "oem" but I could be mistaken.
>>
>> We have the original CD for XP, microsoft (not dell or ibm) oem service
>> pack "zero" and if Vista asks for the original xp cd we actually have it.
>> We just dont want to bother installing over the old hard drive. This is
>> a D865Perl motherboard and is 32bit, not 64 and has 2gb and a 3ghz HT
>> intel cpu.

> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Thanks Rock! That was an excellent article and blog. I wished I had read
that earlier. I was unaware that the upgrade version could be uninstalled
then re-installed for years to come. It also comes with both 32 & 64 and in
addition one can install it on a new system thru that so-called loophole.

I got an OEM 64-bit from newegg, it was cheaper than the upgrade and both
are cheaper than retail. From what I read it would appear that my DVD is
identicle to the upgrade and retail version, I just dont have the 32 bit
dvd. If the only difference is the serial# then I assume microsoft can
alter their serial# strategy anytime they want and prevent someone from
installing the upgrade, getting the 30 day trial, then re-installing the
upgrade over the trial.

As one of the other posters mentioned, I myself have never had any problem
re-activating an original "oem service pack zero" several times. All our
OEM's XP were mailordered microsoft ones (not dell or ibm) or were bought
from college campus. We have had 4 motherboards go bad because of faulty
capacitors, some several times before I got tired of replacing the caps and
bought newer motherboards.

Anyway, do you think that microsoft will consider the install of a vista
upgrade over a vista trial as a loophole that they will be closing?

...thanks..

Joseph "Beemer Biker" Stateson
http://TipsForTheComputingImpaired.com
http://ResearchRiders.org Ask about my 99'R1100RT

Rock

Re: upgrade to new disk?
"Beemer Biker" <joestateson@grandecom.net> wrote

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote
>> "Beemer Biker" <joestateson@grandecom.net> wrote
>>> This has probably been asked ... but google didnt find an answer and I
>>> didnt want to slosh thru all the hits.
>>>
>>> Can we install the vista upgrade on a clean (new) disk?
>>>
>>> I want to put in a new big disk and do a fresh install of vista and not
>>> bother installing it over the old smaller disk that has XP. I assume it
>>> is cheaper to buy an update than an "oem" but I could be mistaken.
>>>
>>> We have the original CD for XP, microsoft (not dell or ibm) oem service
>>> pack "zero" and if Vista asks for the original xp cd we actually have
>>> it. We just dont want to bother installing over the old hard drive.
>>> This is a D865Perl motherboard and is 32bit, not 64 and has 2gb and a
>>> 3ghz HT intel cpu.

>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

> Thanks Rock! That was an excellent article and blog. I wished I had read
> that earlier. I was unaware that the upgrade version could be uninstalled
> then re-installed for years to come. It also comes with both 32 & 64 and
> in addition one can install it on a new system thru that so-called
> loophole.
>
> I got an OEM 64-bit from newegg, it was cheaper than the upgrade and both
> are cheaper than retail. From what I read it would appear that my DVD is
> identicle to the upgrade and retail version, I just dont have the 32 bit
> dvd. If the only difference is the serial# then I assume microsoft can
> alter their serial# strategy anytime they want and prevent someone from
> installing the upgrade, getting the 30 day trial, then re-installing the
> upgrade over the trial.
>
> As one of the other posters mentioned, I myself have never had any problem
> re-activating an original "oem service pack zero" several times. All our
> OEM's XP were mailordered microsoft ones (not dell or ibm) or were bought
> from college campus. We have had 4 motherboards go bad because of faulty
> capacitors, some several times before I got tired of replacing the caps
> and bought newer motherboards.
>
> Anyway, do you think that microsoft will consider the install of a vista
> upgrade over a vista trial as a loophole that they will be closing?

You're welcome. As to your last question, I don't know. MS has been mum on
the whole issue, whey it's there, whether it was intentional and what if
anything will be done about it. I can only speculate that they won't
close it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

John Barnes

Re: upgrade to new disk?
Since OEM is clean install, it shouldn't make any difference.