Uninstall Norton Internet Security program

Scott

Uninstall Norton Internet Security program
I recently purchased a new computer with trial version of Norton Internet
Security program. I uninstalled it successfully but in Security Centre,
Norton Internet Security still appears in Windows Firewall and Internet
Options. It appears to me that the Norton Internet Security program has not
been fully uninstalled.

I installed a Symantec antivirus corporate edition program but failed due to
"Error 1920 Service Symantec antiVirus failed to start. Verify that you
have sufficient privileges to start system services.". My account is
administrator so I should have privileges to start sytem services unless
Vista has changed it.

Can someone advise me possible causes and fixes.

Thanks,

Scott

Chad Harris

Re: Uninstall Norton Internet Security program
Hi Scott--

You didn't spec what corporate edition and the removal tools are often
specific from Symantec. It is not uncommon for Symantec /Norton products to
be incompletely removed via Add/Remove but I can also extend that to saying
one of the most erratic components of a Windows OS including Vista is
Add/Remove--it often fails to do a complete job.

I often use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to help remove .dlls and
registry strings that are in the way of a clean removal and install for
larger apps and Symantec/Norton, being bloated is certainly a larger app.

I'd use the Norton Removal Tool, and also search for any Norton or Symantec
files on your hard drive and delete them.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl=

Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus (or c:\Program Files\Norton)
folder.
Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec folder.
Delete the c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared folder

Type regedit into run box and backup the registry:

File>Export>Radio Button lower left dialogue box (whole registry)>save to
convinient location.

Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go
down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down
the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose
"Delete".
From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click
(+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to
CurrentVersion.
Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see
(if present). Restart your PC.

Good luck,

CH

"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new computer with trial version of Norton Internet
>Security program. I uninstalled it successfully but in Security Centre,
>Norton Internet Security still appears in Windows Firewall and Internet
>Options. It appears to me that the Norton Internet Security program has
>not been fully uninstalled.
>
> I installed a Symantec antivirus corporate edition program but failed due
> to "Error 1920 Service Symantec antiVirus failed to start. Verify that
> you have sufficient privileges to start system services.". My account is
> administrator so I should have privileges to start sytem services unless
> Vista has changed it.
>
> Can someone advise me possible causes and fixes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Scott

Re: Uninstall Norton Internet Security program
Hello Clad,

Many thanks for your detailed steps and I ran thru it on my problematic
computer without any success.

The Symantec program is Symantec_AntiVirus_10.2_WinVista_EN. I have
installed it successfully on the first instance but my computer was
inflected while using IE7. The Auto-Protect was disabled. I installed
SUPERAntiSpyware and removed the problem. Thereafter I removed the Symantec
antivirus program and I cannot re-install the it again successfully.

Although I successfully ran the Symantec Cleanup Ultility, the Norton
Internet Security sign is still left in Security Centre Applet. Is there
any other suggestion to resolve it. Why don't I have right to start
services as an administrator account?

Thanks,

Scott

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> 秎ン
news:%23%23MRQhlfHHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl い级糶...
> Hi Scott--
>
> You didn't spec what corporate edition and the removal tools are often
> specific from Symantec. It is not uncommon for Symantec /Norton products
> to be incompletely removed via Add/Remove but I can also extend that to
> saying one of the most erratic components of a Windows OS including Vista
> is Add/Remove--it often fails to do a complete job.
>
> I often use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to help remove .dlls and
> registry strings that are in the way of a clean removal and install for
> larger apps and Symantec/Norton, being bloated is certainly a larger app.
>
> I'd use the Norton Removal Tool, and also search for any Norton or
> Symantec files on your hard drive and delete them.
>
> Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl=
>

> Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus (or c:\Program
> Files\Norton) folder.
> Delete the c:\Program Files\Symantec folder.
> Delete the c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared folder
>
> Type regedit into run box and backup the registry:
>
> File>Export>Radio Button lower left dialogue box (whole registry)>save to
> convinient location.
>
> Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
> Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll
> down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose
> "Delete".
> From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your
> PC.
> Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software,
> Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next
> to CurrentVersion.
> Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see
> (if present). Restart your PC.
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>
> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message
>>I recently purchased a new computer with trial version of Norton Internet
>>Security program. I uninstalled it successfully but in Security Centre,
>>Norton Internet Security still appears in Windows Firewall and Internet
>>Options. It appears to me that the Norton Internet Security program has
>>not been fully uninstalled.
>>
>> I installed a Symantec antivirus corporate edition program but failed due
>> to "Error 1920 Service Symantec antiVirus failed to start. Verify that
>> you have sufficient privileges to start system services.". My account is
>> administrator so I should have privileges to start sytem services unless
>> Vista has changed it.
>>
>> Can someone advise me possible causes and fixes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott

Chad Harris

Re: Uninstall Norton Internet Security program
Scott--

See these references:

Manual uninstallation documents for Symantec Client Security products
http://entkb.symantec.com/security/o...914291648.html

Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 for Windows Vista
http://service1.symantec.com/support...06111618085848

Removal Resources for Symantec AV 10.2
http://ls.berkeley.edu/mail/micronet/2007/0266.html

The confusing sometimes lack of Administrator rights that you encounter in
Vista is part of UAC. Althought it's not active anymore, you might want to
google for the UAC Team blog for tips on it, and search the general and
setup groups for extensive posts on it. If you encounter a particular
folder, or file that won't give you access then right click
desktop>properties and on the security tab click Add/ or Edit and highlight
your profile and give yourself permission.

TheSymantec Clean tool is often not enough as I said earlier. Search for
the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and use it to get files (.dlls) and
reg orphans) out of the way that are in the way of a clean uninstall or
install.

Often with a Symantec product of any type there are two other places you
need to hit and they don't seem to offer those MSKBs anymore--my shortcuts
have a blind alley now.

One is the registry to search for any references to symantec or Norton and
there are extensive subkeys.

The other place are Your Drive\Program Files and any common files (on XP
Norton always insinuated itself into \Documents and Settings\Profile\Common
Files but on Vista I'm not sure where it hides--I'd do a search for Symantec
and Norton.

I tried to list the files in my previous post. The registry has a search
mecanism which is Edit>Find>Find Next.

******Again:

Delete folders from c:\Program files\Norton Anti Virus or Symantec
Delete folders from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
Delete all entries in this directory Start> Run> %temp%

Go to H_KEY_Classes_Root and Use View>Find for any files that have Symantec
or Norton in them.

Go to H_KEY_Current_User>Software> Symantec> Use View>Find for any files
that have Symantec or Norton in them.

Go to H_KEY_Local Machine>Software>Symantec> Use View>Find for any files
that have Symantec or Norton in them.

Go to H_KEY_Local Machine>service>currentcontrolset>and look for any entries
with lower case ccEvtMgr, ccSetMgr, ccProxy, ccPwdSvc (delete these
entries).

Start>run>msconfig>selective startup and uncheck any folders with Norton and
Symantec in them.

> [...]
>> (if present). Restart your PC.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>>
>> "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message
>>>I recently purchased a new computer with trial version of Norton Internet
>>>Security program. I uninstalled it successfully but in Security Centre,
>>>Norton Internet Security still appears in Windows Firewall and Internet
>>>Options. It appears to me that the Norton Internet Security program has
>>>not been fully uninstalled.
>>>
>>> I installed a Symantec antivirus corporate edition program but failed
>>> due to "Error 1920 Service Symantec antiVirus failed to start. Verify
>>> that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.". My
>>> account is administrator so I should have privileges to start sytem
>>> services unless Vista has changed it.
>>>
>>> Can someone advise me possible causes and fixes.

Scott

Re: Uninstall Norton Internet Security program
Chad,

Greatly appreciate your great assistance. I worked thru below procedures
several times but the issue remained unchanged. The problem stuck while
starting services. It must have something to cause the failure of starting
the services but I did not know it. Probably it is new feature in Vista??

news:%23zNG5uufHHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl い级糶...
> [...]
>>> to convinient location.
>>>
>>> Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on
>>> Software and scroll down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click
>>> on Symantec and choose "Delete".
>>> From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your
>>> PC.
>>> Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software,
>>> Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+)
>>> next to CurrentVersion.
>>> Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you
>>> see (if present). Restart your PC.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> CH

Chad Harris

Re: Uninstall Norton Internet Security program
I have never seen a Norton or Symantec applet remain if you thorougly get
the subkeys out of the registry. There used to be a very extensive Norton
KB that guided this, but stupidly symantec has taken it off their site--I
had a number of shortcuts to it that don't work anymore. They have been
subbing the Clean Tool which althought it has evolved each year is never
enough.

Make sure that you go through all the folders on your main system drive,
usually C:\ (unless you dual boot or multiboot or have chosen a different
drive as a target for installing Windows including any with the words
"common files" and delete all references to Norton or Symantec.

Check in services by typing services.msc in your run box and if there is any
Symantec service disable it.

Also run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility