do I have it right?

unomas

do I have it right?

my stepdaughter's laptop's hd crashed (unusable), she of course lost the
system disc. I have my laptop and system disc, both laptops are gateway
but different models 6752 and 6836.

I have a new hd on order, and I will install vista with my disc and her
windows product key (her laptop) I shouldn't have any problem with that
right?

thanks

--
unomas
MeJasonX

Re: do I have it right?

No there shouldn't be any problem with that...
The product key isn't linked too the cd in anyway so it will be
alright(unless it is in a new feature I haven't heard about :P)

--
MeJasonX
Mike Torello

Re: do I have it right?
unomas <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>my stepdaughter's laptop's hd crashed (unusable), she of course lost the
>system disc. I have my laptop and system disc, both laptops are gateway
>but different models 6752 and 6836.
>
>I have a new hd on order, and I will install vista with my disc and her
>windows product key (her laptop) I shouldn't have any problem with that
>right?

Is your disc a "recovery' disc or an actual system disc? If it's a
recovery disc, you may very well have problems.
THE C. [MS MVP]

RE: do I have it right?
If you ordered it thru Gateway under warranty then the new replacement drive
will have the recovery partition on it. All you will have to do is a recovery
from the HD and not the media disks. Make it a great day.
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Charles Richmond
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"unomas" wrote:

> my stepdaughter's laptop's hd crashed (unusable), she of course lost the
> system disc. I have my laptop and system disc, both laptops are gateway
> but different models 6752 and 6836.
>
> I have a new hd on order, and I will install vista with my disc and her
> windows product key (her laptop) I shouldn't have any problem with that
> right?
>
> thanks
>

> --
> unomas

Malke

RE: do I have it right?
THE C. [MS MVP] wrote:

> If you ordered it thru Gateway under warranty then the new replacement
> drive will have the recovery partition on it. All you will have to do is a
> recovery from the HD and not the media disks. Make it a great day.

This is incorrect. The new drive if ordered from Gateway will *not* have the
recovery partition on it. The OP should order recovery media from Gateway
for the specific model laptop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Malke

Re: do I have it right?
unomas wrote:

> my stepdaughter's laptop's hd crashed (unusable), she of course lost the
> system disc. I have my laptop and system disc, both laptops are gateway
> but different models 6752 and 6836.
>
> I have a new hd on order, and I will install vista with my disc and her
> windows product key (her laptop) I shouldn't have any problem with that
> right?

As Mr. Torello pointed out, if you have a recovery disk (not a true Vista
installation DVD) from Gateway, it will not be a good idea to use it on a
different model machine. It may not even work. In that case, the best
solution is to order replacement recovery media from Gateway for your
stepdaughter's laptop. These recovery sets are usually very inexpensive,
around $20. All the Gateway laptops I've seen running Vista have got
recovery media and not the true operating system installation disk.

If you have a real Vista installation DVD (not a recovery disk), then you
can install using the Product Key on the bottom of her laptop. You'll still
need to install all the Gateway drivers afterwards.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

unomas

Re: do I have it right?

thanks for the replies guys! I am home now and I am looking right at
the disc. it says it is "Operating System disc, windows vista home
premium 64/32 bit with sp1"

since her system crashed, I first tried to recovery it using the
recovery info on the partition gateway set up on the hd, problem was the
drive was done and both the recovery partition and main drive became
corrupted, that's why I need the actually system disc.

So, are you guys saying since this is a system disc I will have to
install vista, then update my drivers from gateways website? If so,
that is completely fine.

Again thanks

--
unomas
Malke

Re: do I have it right?
unomas wrote:

> thanks for the replies guys! I am home now and I am looking right at
> the disc. it says it is "Operating System disc, windows vista home
> premium 64/32 bit with sp1"
>
> since her system crashed, I first tried to recovery it using the
> recovery info on the partition gateway set up on the hd, problem was the
> drive was done and both the recovery partition and main drive became
> corrupted, that's why I need the actually system disc.
>
> So, are you guys saying since this is a system disc I will have to
> install vista, then update my drivers from gateways website? If so,
> that is completely fine.

Yes, if it is a true operating system disk and not a recovery image you will
install as usual. Enter the Product Key from the bottom of her laptop. Get
all the Gateway drivers and laptop-related software from their site. Make
sure you also apply Service Pack 1 if the original disk doesn't have it and
all subsequent Windows Updates.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Chad Harris

Re: do I have it right?
Unomas--

It isn't that the Recovery disc "corrupted." Let me say it as plainly as I
can.

If you do a double blind multicentered study, the way medical trials are
often done, the resut is that OEM recovery discs do not work. MSFT has
known this for 15 years and so have their OEM partners. When they name them
recovery discs, they are pushing a myth. When a recovery disc works, you
are extremely lucky. In general, the concept of a recovery disc for actual
efficacy at repairing is a cruel joke that has been promulgated for years.

That's why with Windows 7, after years and years and years of bitter
complaints, MSFT has recognized this to a degree by allowing a repair
mechanism to be instrinsic or native to the OS.

However, you always have more tools if you have the Vista and soon Windows 7
DVD. Besides the repair mechanisms available from the DVD including the
powerful bootrec switches, you can also do a repair install or inplace
upgrade (same thing) if you have the genuine OS (not recovery disc) DVD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Generally, using 3 bootrec switches alone will repair a software problem in
the Windows Vista or Windows 7 OS.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

/FixBoot
The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by
using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista. Use this option
if one of the following conditions is true:

• The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista boot
sector.
• The boot sector is damaged.
• An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista
was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT
Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

/FixMbr
The /FixMbr option writes a Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system
partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use
this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to
remove non-standard code from the MBR.

/RebuildBcd
The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible
with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option lets you select the
installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when
you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Good luck,

CH

"unomas" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> thanks for the replies guys! I am home now and I am looking right at
> the disc. it says it is "Operating System disc, windows vista home
> premium 64/32 bit with sp1"
>
> since her system crashed, I first tried to recovery it using the
> recovery info on the partition gateway set up on the hd, problem was the
> drive was done and both the recovery partition and main drive became
> corrupted, that's why I need the actually system disc.
>
> So, are you guys saying since this is a system disc I will have to
> install vista, then update my drivers from gateways website? If so,
> that is completely fine.
>
> Again thanks
>

> --
> unomas

Malke

Re: do I have it right?
Chad Harris wrote:

> Unomas--
>
> It isn't that the Recovery disc "corrupted." Let me say it as plainly as
> I can.
>
> If you do a double blind multicentered study, the way medical trials are
> often done, the resut is that OEM recovery discs do not work. MSFT has
> known this for 15 years and so have their OEM partners. When they name
> them
> recovery discs, they are pushing a myth. When a recovery disc works, you
> are extremely lucky. In general, the concept of a recovery disc for
> actual efficacy at repairing is a cruel joke that has been promulgated for
> years.

(snip)

This has not been my experience nor that of my colleagues in doing many
hundreds of restore-to-factory-condition jobs on many different brands of
computers. The recovery disks work fine as long as there are no hardware
issues and the correct recovery disks are used.

Windows 7 is irrelevant to the OP's question.

Malke