User profile service has stopped working. Help please :)

vlaka

User profile service has stopped working. Help please :)

hi everyone,

thought i'd give these forums a try and see if anyone could help me
out.

Lately my pc has been acting up; random BSOD (memory management error
which hasnt happened ever since I scanned my system) and appcrash errors
(which happen regularly and always on startup.
I ran both a virus scan and a spyware scan and it came up, surprisingly
with a few threats, cleaned them but now i'm getting the following
error.

----

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: svchost.exe_ProfSvc
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918b89
Fault Module Name: repdrvfs.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a770
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000224e
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1669
Additional Information 2: 4358e861bb412b077a9b51e3cb00cd6e
Additional Information 3: 1aee
Additional Information 4: d45bfa0b5e7e30341cdf21ab541e339e

---

It's not just the User profile that crashes, sometimes it's some other
random Vista Feature which I cannot remember.

I've tried turning off DEP but i am not sure which programs I should be
running with DEP off.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit, 4gb ram, 3.2ghz duo core.

Any assistance/info would be much appreciated. Thank you

--
vlaka
Chad Harris

Re: User profile service has stopped working. Help please :)
Hi Vlaka---

I'd do the following:

1) Type cmd in the search box and rt. click the cmd icon>run as
admin>elevated command and type run "SFC /scannow" (without the quotation
marks). It's system file checker and it will scan thousands of files on your
box and replace damaged ones with intact ones.

2) I'd put up the elevated cmd prompt again and I'd set it to run a chkdsk
/r on the next boot. The way you do this is to type at the cmd prompt:
chkdsk C:\r assuming the drive the OS is on is C:\ d(if not use the
appropriate drive letter). It will ask if you want to run at your next boot
or restart and you choose Y for yes and enter.

3) If you have a Vista DVD I'd use Startup Repair. MSFT's Official party
line at Redmond is that SR is for Vista "no boot" situations, but since 7/05
I found that it can fix systemic problems in Vista very well.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

If you don't have or can't borrow a Vista DVD, I'd use the F8 options
(trying all of them) to system restore, and I'd also try Last Known Good.
If you're not familiar with the Win Advanced Options you tap F8 on
restarting your pc and can select the option.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...ef5a71033.mspx

The cmd for a safe mode with cmd prompt System Restore is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Good luck,

CH

"vlaka" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> hi everyone,
>
> thought i'd give these forums a try and see if anyone could help me
> out.
>
> Lately my pc has been acting up; ranndom BSOD (memory management error
> which hasnt happened ever since I scanned my system) and appcrash errors
> (which happen regularly and always on startup.
> I ran both a virus scan and a spyware scan and it came up, surprisingly
> with a few threats, cleaned them but now i'm getting the following
> error.
>
> ----
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: svchost.exe_ProfSvc
> Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
> Application Timestamp: 47918b89
> Fault Module Name: repdrvfs.dll
> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
> Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a770
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0000224e
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 1669
> Additional Information 2: 4358e861bb412b077a9b51e3cb00cd6e
> Additional Information 3: 1aee
> Additional Information 4: d45bfa0b5e7e30341cdf21ab541e339e
>

> ---
>
> It's not just the User profile that crashes, sometimes it's some other
> random Vista Feature which I cannot remember.
>
> I've tried turning off DEP but i am not sure which programs I should be
> running with DEP off.
>
> I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit, 4gb ram, 3.2ghz duo core.
>
> Any assistance/info would be much appreciated. Thank you
>

> --
> vlaka

Chad Harris

Re: User profile service has stopped working. Help please :)
**How to Make Vista Recovery Disc from MSFT with Startup Repair When You
Don't Have a Vista DVD from a PC with Windows Vista SP1 or Newer**:

[Note: This comes from Microsoft. It is available in Vista with Service
Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 and in Windows 7 when released. This gives you the
same Startup Repair Options from Microsoft *Legally* that you would get on
by purchasing a new Vista (or when it RTMs Windows 7 DVD]:

1) It's best to make this "recovery disc" which gives you access to
Vista/Win 7's Startup Repair when Vista or Windows 7 is running well, and
you aren't in trouble. But when many of you read this, you will be in
trouble and this is the way to get out. This will help you access Startup
Repair to repair a Won't Boot Vista or Windows 7 when the cause is a
software cause without a hardware component in the equation and this
includes a corrupt driver.

You can do this on a computer running Windows Vista SP1, Windows Vista SP2,
or Windows 7. Click Start>Programs>Maintenance>Create a System Repair Disc
or simply type "maintenance" into the search box above the Start button.

2) If you have a Vista or Windows 7 Won't Boot situation, and you didn't
make this disc in advance--no problem. Either use another pc with Vista SP1
or Newer or borrow a friend's and follow the directions in #1 above.

3) If your friend has an operating system prior to Vista SP1, but has an
internet connection on a device that can download files (a computer is
best), simply download the .iso from Neowin's site, burn the .iso,and you
will have a Vista or Windows 7 Recovery disc with the full panoply of
repair options, including the "bootrec switches" from the command prompt
there.

This is a screenshot of the two ways to do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharris16

This is the link from Neosmart's website to download and burn the .iso that
allows you to do the same thing as the Maintenance listing on the Vista SP1
and later Programs menu.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc (Vista Startup Repair .iso Download)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Anyone concerned with the legality should not be. This is an option that
Microsoft wisely elected to put into its operating system with Vista Service
Pack 1, and included in Service Pack 2 and Windows 7.

Unfortunately, as of 4/11/09 Microsoft has written nothing in Windows Vista
Help about this option, and it is a great feature that is not well known.
They have a decent explanation of Startup Repair, but no mention as to how
to access it if you don't have a Vista DVD as shown at this link:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx

In addition there is no mention of it in any of the MSKBs at
http://support.microsoft.com or anywhere in the Vista Help Website.

This solves the problem of the 300 + OEM partners and Microsoft not
shipping a Vista DVD with the purchase of a new computer. This has long
been needed, and MSFT should be commended for making it available. I
haven't seen it mentioned on any of the MSFT newsgroups, though it might
have been but I have seen the complaint hundreds if not thousands of times
in the last several years including on the XP groups that the person stuck
with an XP or a Vista Won't boot blue screen does not have an XP or Vista
DVD. This remedies that problem.

In addition, as a second choice (I would definitely try this first), you can
use the F8 key to boot to the Windows Advanced Options menu and try those to
access System Restore from the Safe Mode options there, or Last Known Good
Configuration. Startup Repair and the Boot Rec switches are a considerable
improvement as to efficacy over the F8 (Windows Advanced) options, and the
now retired Recovery Console.

F8 Key Reaches the Windows Advanced Options Menu (One might work when
another does not)
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-c...-safe-mode.png

Should you choose to use Safe Mode with Command Prompt, you'll need to type
the command for System Restore which is:

At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and
then press ENTER.