A simple question

Pete

A simple question
I have tried without success to get Windows Explorer to show a file
extension, but cannot find a way to do it. I have tried all the options in
View / Choose Details but don't have all luck.
I guess I must be stupid. There must be a way. I am running Home Premium.
Could some kind person please help.
Thanks.
Pete

Curious

Re: A simple question
In Explorer go to Tools/Folder options/View and select the options you want.

"Pete" <abc@def.org> wrote in message
> I have tried without success to get Windows Explorer to show a file
> extension, but cannot find a way to do it. I have tried all the options in
> View / Choose Details but don't have all luck.
> I guess I must be stupid. There must be a way. I am running Home Premium.
> Could some kind person please help.
> Thanks.
> Pete

Richard G. Harper

Re: A simple question
With an Explorer window open and with focus, hold the Alt key, tap the T
key, then click Folder Options, then open the View tab. The option you seek
is there.

"Pete" <abc@def.org> wrote in message
> I have tried without success to get Windows Explorer to show a file
> extension, but cannot find a way to do it. I have tried all the options in
> View / Choose Details but don't have all luck.
> I guess I must be stupid. There must be a way. I am running Home Premium.
> Could some kind person please help.
> Thanks.
> Pete

John Barnett MVP

Re: A simple question
You should be able to do this easily. Open Windows Explorer, Click the
Organize tab and Click on Folder and Search Options. When the Folder options
window opens, Click the View tab. Locate the option 'hide extensions for
know file types' (this is just below 'show hidden files and folders in
Hidden files and folders section). Now remove the check mark from the box to
the left of the 'hide extensions for known file types' and then press OK.
You should now be able to see your file names along with their extensions in
Windows Explorer.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Pete" <abc@def.org> wrote in message
> I have tried without success to get Windows Explorer to show a file
> extension, but cannot find a way to do it. I have tried all the options in
> View / Choose Details but don't have all luck.
> I guess I must be stupid. There must be a way. I am running Home Premium.
> Could some kind person please help.
> Thanks.
> Pete

John E. Carty

Re: A simple question

"Pete" <abc@def.org> wrote in message
>I have tried without success to get Windows Explorer to show a file
>extension, but cannot find a way to do it. I have tried all the options in
>View / Choose Details but don't have all luck.
> I guess I must be stupid. There must be a way. I am running Home Premium.
> Could some kind person please help.
> Thanks.
> Pete

Type "Folder Options" in the search box and hit Enter

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the
following:
To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types
check box, and then click OK.
To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types
check box, and then click OK.

THE C. [MS MVP]

Re: A simple question
CBT take a look at the Link. There are 3 options for your KB943729 update.
Hope one will help you. Make it a great day.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...3comm=1&res=20
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Charles Richmond
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> With an Explorer window open and with focus, hold the Alt key, tap the T
> key, then click Folder Options, then open the View tab. The option you seek
> is there.
>
> "Pete" <abc@def.org> wrote in message
> > I have tried without success to get Windows Explorer to show a file
> > extension, but cannot find a way to do it. I have tried all the options in
> > View / Choose Details but don't have all luck.
> > I guess I must be stupid. There must be a way. I am running Home Premium.
> > Could some kind person please help.
> > Thanks.
> > Pete

Whistledink

Re: A simple question

-*Re: A simple question*- -With an Explorer window open and with
focus, hold the Alt key, tap the T
key, then click Folder Options, then open the View tab. The option you
seek
is there.-

I just signed up here to toss a 'thanks' your way for this old thread.
I've never used Vista before yesterday, and I'm sad to see some of the
less-wise (IMO) default settings are STILL in place after all this time.
However, Vista is impressing me so far, there are some very handy
features to be had.

One thing I don't get is that even though making the file extensions
visible is almost exactly the same as XP, since the tool bars are
hidden, I simply couldn't find it! Was this done simply to give the
windows a 'cleaner' look? I should have tried the old 'alt-T', but I
guess I was set in the thinking that everything would be different..I'm
finding that they carried much of the things that DID work on up to
Vista, as well as on up to W7, so I'm told.

Again, thanks for the assist, greatly appreciated. I shall now return
to my usual lurking duties.

--
Whistledink