32 bit install to 64 bit vista

scoobydoo

32 bit install to 64 bit vista

Hi there

I have just joined after finding this forum. What a brilliant site.
My question is I have a 32 bit vista home premium upgrade disk and was
reading about how do do a clean install. Can I do a clean install using
this disk and then use my key to upgrade to the 64 bit version.

Many thanks
Chris

--
scoobydoo
Leroy

Re: 32 bit install to 64 bit vista
Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

Windows Vista Alternate Media
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

scoobydoo wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I have just joined after finding this forum. What a brilliant site.
> My question is I have a 32 bit vista home premium upgrade disk and was
> reading about how do do a clean install. Can I do a clean install using
> this disk and then use my key to upgrade to the 64 bit version.
>
> Many thanks
> Chris

Curious

Re: 32 bit install to 64 bit vista
If you have purchased a Vista Home premium upgrade retail package. It came
with a 32bit installation DVD. You can order a 64 bit installation DVD that
will use the same upgrade key from MS for about $10.

"scoobydoo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi there
>
> I have just joined after finding this forum. What a brilliant site.
> My question is I have a 32 bit vista home premium upgrade disk and was
> reading about how do do a clean install. Can I do a clean install using
> this disk and then use my key to upgrade to the 64 bit version.
>
> Many thanks
> Chris
>

> --
> scoobydoo

Rick Rogers

Re: 32 bit install to 64 bit vista
Hi,

First, you can't clean install with an upgrade disk unless you install
twice. At first without, and then with the key. as an in-place upgrade.

Second, you can't upgrade an existing 32-bit installation to a 64-bit one,
it requires a clean install.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"scoobydoo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi there
>
> I have just joined after finding this forum. What a brilliant site.
> My question is I have a 32 bit vista home premium upgrade disk and was
> reading about how do do a clean install. Can I do a clean install using
> this disk and then use my key to upgrade to the 64 bit version.
>
> Many thanks
> Chris
>

> --
> scoobydoo

Curious

Re: 32 bit install to 64 bit vista
The following KIB article covers the different 64 bit installation
procedures describing how to use a 64bit installation DVD to do a clean
install with an upgrade license.

> Hi,
>
> First, you can't clean install with an upgrade disk unless you install
> twice. At first without, and then with the key. as an in-place upgrade.
>
> Second, you can't upgrade an existing 32-bit installation to a 64-bit one,
> it requires a clean install.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "scoobydoo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I have just joined after finding this forum. What a brilliant site.
>> My question is I have a 32 bit vista home premium upgrade disk and was
>> reading about how do do a clean install. Can I do a clean install using
>> this disk and then use my key to upgrade to the 64 bit version.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Chris
>>

>> --
>> scoobydoo

CH

Re: 32 bit install to 64 bit vista
I upgraded a 32 bit Win XP to a 64 bit Windows 7 build without a hitch, but
this doesn't contradict anything the KBs say. I did not use an "upgrade
disk." I did not do a "clean install," but again I did not use an upgrade
disc. I used a full Win 7 Premium. However 2 points to remember that are
obvious.

I) You are not going to upgrade to or install a 64 bit OS on an X86 or 32
bit box.
2) You may have to install as the MSKB says by starting the pc from the 64
bit OS--I think I had to do that. But it prompted me to restart which I
thought was nice because MSFT is getting better and better about not leaving
things between the lines for setups--cheers to them for doing that. I have
also noticed that the upgrade option in Win 7 and I suppose Vista will now
tell you what the roadblock is if it balks at upgrading and this is a very
nice feature and the guys and gals on the teams that designed this should be
commended for doing this.

When I installed from a Vista with Windows One Care, they for various
reasons won't allow or have designed things so that One Care won't install
on Win 7 so the upgrade link produced a message after checking my system
that I had to uninstall One Care and it would allow me to install Windows 7
because One Care isn't compatible with that. This is a nice touch/feature
and it is the most attentive work I've seen so far from MSFT to coach you to
get the upgrade in. It's nicely done.

What I can't put my finger on (although in the past it has had to do with
the expansion of files that does not require as much space) is why a 3.5 GB
OS (Win 7 64 bit) would require at first on one box on one previous build of
Win 7 a 11+GB free space piece of real estate and then subsequently a 16+GB
piece of real estate to allow the upgrade to happen. Hopefully, this won't
be present as they move toward RTM.

CH

"Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795
>
> Windows Vista Alternate Media
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
>

> scoobydoo wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I have just joined after finding this forum. What a brilliant site. My
>> question is I have a 32 bit vista home premium upgrade disk and was
>> reading about how do do a clean install. Can I do a clean install using
>> this disk and then use my key to upgrade to the 64 bit version.
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Chris

Curious

Re: 32 bit install to 64 bit vista
Upgrades with Win7 Beta are easier since there are no license issues with
the Beta release witch expires in Aug 09.
The upgrade DVD uses all compressed cab folders and not individual files so
it is much smaller then the actual OS that gets installed when the
individual files and all the directories are created.
Like Vista the actual installation process takes a lot more room than is
required for the OS after the install is complete since all of the
installation files are put in a temp area until the installation is complete
and then the temp area is deleted.

"CH" <windows7@blackcombville.net> wrote in message
> I upgraded a 32 bit Win XP to a 64 bit Windows 7 build without a hitch,
> but this doesn't contradict anything the KBs say. I did not use an
> "upgrade disk." I did not do a "clean install," but again I did not use
> an upgrade disc. I used a full Win 7 Premium. However 2 points to
> remember that are obvious.
>
> I) You are not going to upgrade to or install a 64 bit OS on an X86 or 32
> bit box.
> 2) You may have to install as the MSKB says by starting the pc from the 64
> bit OS--I think I had to do that. But it prompted me to restart which I
> thought was nice because MSFT is getting better and better about not
> leaving things between the lines for setups--cheers to them for doing
> that. I have also noticed that the upgrade option in Win 7 and I suppose
> Vista will now tell you what the roadblock is if it balks at upgrading and
> this is a very nice feature and the guys and gals on the teams that
> designed this should be commended for doing this.
>
> When I installed from a Vista with Windows One Care, they for various
> reasons won't allow or have designed things so that One Care won't install
> on Win 7 so the upgrade link produced a message after checking my system
> that I had to uninstall One Care and it would allow me to install Windows
> 7 because One Care isn't compatible with that. This is a nice
> touch/feature and it is the most attentive work I've seen so far from MSFT
> to coach you to get the upgrade in. It's nicely done.
>
> What I can't put my finger on (although in the past it has had to do with
> the expansion of files that does not require as much space) is why a 3.5
> GB OS (Win 7 64 bit) would require at first on one box on one previous
> build of Win 7 a 11+GB free space piece of real estate and then
> subsequently a 16+GB piece of real estate to allow the upgrade to happen.
> Hopefully, this won't be present as they move toward RTM.
>
> CH
>
> "Leroy" <leroy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795
>>
>> Windows Vista Alternate Media
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
>>

>> scoobydoo wrote:
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> I have just joined after finding this forum. What a brilliant site. My
>>> question is I have a 32 bit vista home premium upgrade disk and was
>>> reading about how do do a clean install. Can I do a clean install using
>>> this disk and then use my key to upgrade to the 64 bit version.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Chris

CH

Re: 32 bit install to 64 bit vista
Thanks Curious--

You're quite right about the licensure issues in the Beta. What threw me
was on my notebook my space is a lot more limited. I wanted to upgrade from
one build to another, and I was told I'd need 11GB. I couldn't get help
from diskmgmt.msc /or Diskpart so I resorted to G-Parted to add enough to
that partiton from some unallocated space I had adjacent so that I'd have 12
gb of free space to satisfy the temp file hunger.

After I added the space with G-Parted I tried to upgrade and then I got the
message in setup that it was demanding 16+ GB of space whereas before I had
added space to that drive to satisfy its first demand it was demanding 11
GB. I felt like I was the low man on the totem pole with a mortgage in a
Credit Default Toxic asset scam. I wonder why in a short period of time Win
7 upped the ante for me as to free space I needed from 11 GB to 16 GB with
the exact same upgrade.

Any ideas would be appreciated muchly.

CH