Vista wont load past green bar

khris91

Vista wont load past green bar

Okie i know this topic has been posted before but the other topics dont
seem to help so i am just going to state MY problem

My step father has a Window Vista Home Premium 32Bit on a HP Pavillion
DV 9000 Laptop

His screen had froze so he did a hard shut down on it and when he tried
to load it back up it would go through the green bar for about 5 to ten
minutes then it would freeze at a black screen and the way i know its
frozen is that the little light that tells you the computer is thinking
is permanently on. HP did not send us any disks with this laptop so
recovery through disk isnt possible, I downloaded an ISO image of a
WinRE about a month ago when we had problems with a virus and i had to
do a system restore and i tried to boot from disk with that and it did
the same thing as when booting normally. Is it possible there is a file
in the System32 file that got corrupted or deleted and if so is there a
way of finding out which file and is it fixable if i can access the hard
drive and hook it up to a working computer? I have a case that can make
a laptop hard drive into an external one to access from a desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and goodbye

-Khris

--
khris91
Chad Harris

Re: Vista wont load past green bar
Hi Khris91--

It's really impossible to know what is causing the boot problem --the green
bar indicates the kernel is loading, and it isn't, but that doesn't help you
fix this

If you can borrow a Vista DVD from someone, then you can boot from the DVD
and use Startup Repair, or you could use what I often find helpful, the
bootrec switches by using the command prompt from the Repair link on the
Vista setup screen:

http://owened.co.nz/Owenedv2/wp-cont...r-computer.png

http://www.setup32.com/resource-guid...r_vista_03.jpg

In Windows 7, you won't need the DVD to use these repair options, at long
long last, but that doesn't help you here with Vista.

In my testing of the Win RE environment, System Restore from the Recovery
link on your DVD is also a viable option. Sometimes it works when System
Restore from Windows which you have no access to right now, and system
restore from F8's options don't work so I urge you to try it.

If you can't obtain a Vista DVD, then here's what I'd do.

One of the safe modes is Safe Mode with Command, so I'm going to supply you
with the command to use from the command prompt for that particular
category.

If you get into any of the other safe modes (4 from F8) and one from Startup
Repair via the Recovery Link from the Vista DVD, you have many ways to hit
system restore, but typing restrui into the run box or restore into the
search box above the start button will work

So you have these to try:

From the Win RE Recovery link on your DVD:

System Restore

From F8 System Restore via:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode VGA
Safe Mode with Command: At the prompt you would type the command to use for
system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

There is an additional tool that might help you in the Win RE panoply of
tools. Its use is outlined here in this MSKB and that's bootrec.exe:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

I would urge everyone, in the interest of having the maximum ability to
repair Vista, to follow the directions that are linked here from the Win RE
team's blog to load Win RE onto their hard drive, analagous to the way some
of you loaded the Recovery Console onto your hard drive for use in Windows
XP.

Good luck and let us know if any of these or other suggestions help.

CH

"khris91" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Okie i know this topic has been posted before but the other topics dont
> seem to help so i am just going to state MY problem
>
> My step father has a Window Vista Home Premium 32Bit on a HP Pavillion
> DV 9000 Laptop
>
> His screen had froze so he did a hard shut down on it and when he tried
> to load it back up it would go through the green bar for about 5 to ten
> minutes then it would freeze at a black screen and the way i know its
> frozen is that the little light that tells you the computer is thinking
> is permanently on. HP did not send us any disks with this laptop so
> recovery through disk isnt possible, I downloaded an ISO image of a
> WinRE about a month ago when we had problems with a virus and i had to
> do a system restore and i tried to boot from disk with that and it did
> the same thing as when booting normally. Is it possible there is a file
> in the System32 file that got corrupted or deleted and if so is there a
> way of finding out which file and is it fixable if i can access the hard
> drive and hook it up to a working computer? I have a case that can make
> a laptop hard drive into an external one to access from a desktop.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you and goodbye
>
> -Khris
>

> --
> khris91

Mike Torello

Re: Vista wont load past green bar
khris91 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Okie i know this topic has been posted before but the other topics dont
>seem to help so i am just going to state MY problem
>
>My step father has a Window Vista Home Premium 32Bit on a HP Pavillion
>DV 9000 Laptop
>
>His screen had froze so he did a hard shut down on it and when he tried
>to load it back up it would go through the green bar for about 5 to ten
>minutes then it would freeze at a black screen and the way i know its
>frozen is that the little light that tells you the computer is thinking
>is permanently on. HP did not send us any disks with this laptop so
>recovery through disk isnt possible,

[snip]

Recovery is still possible:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00814731

semoi

Re: Vista wont load past green bar
The kind of hard freeze that does not allow recovery with a reboot you
describe suggests a hardware rather than software problem.
The easiest way to test this is to see first if you can enter the BIOS at
startup.
If you can be sure that boot from CD is the first option for booting.
Then use any boot capable CD. If the machine will read the CD and get to its
installation setup then your problem may indeed simply be software related.
However some hardware problems, such as overheating or failing hard disc,
may not show up until the computer has been up and running.

Chad Harris

Re: Vista wont load past green bar
There is an important tool that MSFT now provides with Vista SP1. SP2, and
Win 7 that may help you:

**How to Make Vista Recovery Disc from MSFT with Startup Repair When You
Don't Have a Vista DVD from a PC with Windows Vista SP1 or Newer**:

[Note: This comes from Microsoft. It is available in Vista with Service
Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 and in Windows 7 when released. This gives you the
same Startup Repair Options from Microsoft *Legally* that you would get on
by purchasing a new Vista (or when it RTMs Windows 7 DVD]:

1) It's best to make this "recovery disc" which gives you access to
Vista/Win 7's Startup Repair when Vista or Windows 7 is running well, andyou
aren't in trouble. But when many of you read this, you will be introuble and
this is the way to get out. This will help you access StartupRepair to
repair a Won't Boot Vista or Windows 7 when the cause is asoftware cause
without a hardwarcomponent in the equation and this includes a corrupt
driver.

You can do this on a computer running Windows Vista SP1, Windows Vista SP2,
or Windows 7. Click Start>Programs>Maintenance>Create a System Repair Disc
or simply type "maintenance" into the search box above the Start button.

The utility to make the system repair disc is located at
C:\Windows\System32\recdisc(.exe). You could click it there, and run the
wizard as well.

2) If you have a Vista or Windows 7 Won't Boot situation, and you didn't
make this disc in advance--no problem. Either use another pc with Vista SP1
or Newer or borrow a friend's and follow the directions in #1 above.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-b9c3df52860e/

On Vista SP1 you may have to go to C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.

Right click on the recdisc.exe file and change the security settings. (right
click on the file then)
Select the “Security” tab and click “Advanced”.
Select the “Owner” tab and click “Edit…”
You first need to add your user account under ownership to full access. then
(from the main file security setting screen click edit to) change the user
access rights to full.
Once this is done copy the rec.exe file accross into the system32 folder and
replace. double click to run or create a shortcut on the desktop if you want
to run it easily.

3) If your friend has an operating system prior to Vista SP1, but has an
internet connection on a device that can download files (a computer is
best), simply download the .iso from Neowin's site, burn the .iso,and you
will have a Vista or Windows 7 Recovery disc with the full panoply of
repair options, including the "bootrec switches" from the command
promptthere.

This is a screenshot of the two ways to do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharris16

This is the link from Neosmart's website to download and burn the .iso that
allows you to do the same thing as the Maintenance listing on the Vista SP1
and later Programs menu.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc (Vista Startup Repair .iso Download)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Anyone concerned with the legality, should not be. This is an option that
Microsoft wisely elected to put into its operating system with Vista
ServicePack 1, and included in Service Pack 2 and Windows 7.

Unfortunately, as of 4/11/09 Microsoft has written nothing in Windows Vista
Help about this option, and it is a great feature that is not well known.

They have a decent explanation of Startup Repair, but no mention as to how
to access it if you don't have a Vista DVD as shown at this link:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx

There is no mention at the Vista Help site, at http://support.microsoft.com,
or at in any MSKB or in the Vista SP1 release notes.

This solves the problem of the 300 + OEM partners and Microsoft not
shipping a Vista DVD with the purchase of a new computer. This has long
been needed, and MSFT should be commended for making it available. I
haven't seen it mentioned on any of the MSFT newsgroups, though it might
have been but I have seen the complaint hundreds if not thousands of times
in the last several years including on the XP groups that the person stuck
with an XP or a Vista Won't boot blue screen does not have an XP or Vista
DVD. This remedies that problem.

In addition, as a second choice (I would definitely try this first), you can
use the F8 key to boot to the Windows Advanced Options menu and try those to
access System Restore from the Safe Mode options there, or Last Known Good
Configuration. Startup Repair and the Boot Rec switches are a considerable
improvement as to efficacy over the F8 (Windows Advanced) options and the
now retired Recovery Console.

F8 Key Reaches the Windows Advanced Options Menu (One might work when
another does not):

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-c...-safe-mode.png

Should you choose to use Safe Mode with Command Prompt, you'll need to type
the command for System Restore which is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.

Good luck,

CH

"khris91" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Okie i know this topic has been posted before but the other topics dont
> seem to help so i am just going to state MY problem
>
> My step father has a Window Vista Home Premium 32Bit on a HP Pavillion
> DV 9000 Laptop
>
> His screen had froze so he did a hard shut down on it and when he tried
> to load it back up it would go through the green bar for about 5 to ten
> minutes then it would freeze at a black screen and the way i know its
> frozen is that the little light that tells you the computer is thinking
> is permanently on. HP did not send us any disks with this laptop so
> recovery through disk isnt possible, I downloaded an ISO image of a
> WinRE about a month ago when we had problems with a virus and i had to
> do a system restore and i tried to boot from disk with that and it did
> the same thing as when booting normally. Is it possible there is a file
> in the System32 file that got corrupted or deleted and if so is there a
> way of finding out which file and is it fixable if i can access the hard
> drive and hook it up to a working computer? I have a case that can make
> a laptop hard drive into an external one to access from a desktop.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you and goodbye
>
> -Khris
>

> --
> khris91

Chad Harris

Re: Vista wont load past green bar
Semoi--

That's hardly the case. I've seen hundreds of these that were software
problems, and not hardware problems. That's simply not a clinically useful
diagnostic marker for hardware versus software, and with all respect due
there are plenty of times when there are hardware and software problems at
the same time causing No Vista Boots, No XP Boots, and No Win 7 Boots
although they are a small percentage of the total. If only life were as
simple as you perceived this. It would be great if there were a diagnostic
marker to separate no boot/won't boots cleanly as to hardware or software,
but there isn't one--it takes troubleshooting, etc. There is very little
time lost however, in doing basic hardware checks and then trying the
software modalities to fix XP, Vista, or Win 7 including Startup Repair, or
the bootrec or bcdedit switches.

Many BSODs or Stop Errors come from a variety of causes, and some can be the
result of either a hardware or a software problem. Check them out here:

CH