Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSb2Vk?=

Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
I have just installed Vista on my computer with success. But I have a second
harddrive (both are S-ATA) which I did not do anything to when installing
Vista. And now when I click on this drive, the D-drive, it says it needs to
be formated. And in diskmanager it says it is RAW!

What is this and how did it happen? Is this a major bug in the Vista
installation? Did it reformat my drive or can I get the data back?

Please help!!!

Thank you,
Michael
Richard Urban

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
No, your drive has not been reformatted. Nor has the information likely been
lost (at this time). The partitions tables have gone missing so it appears
to the operating system as a new drive, without containing any partitions or
information.

I have been 100% successful in recovering data from such drives using Easy
Recovery professional. There is a special module within the program for
recovery from RAW disks - and it works.

The program is not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. How much is
your data worth?

See here: www.ontrack.com

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Michael Roed" <michael.roed@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed Vista on my computer with success. But I have a
>second
> harddrive (both are S-ATA) which I did not do anything to when installing
> Vista. And now when I click on this drive, the D-drive, it says it needs
> be formated. And in diskmanager it says it is RAW!
>
> What is this and how did it happen? Is this a major bug in the Vista
> installation? Did it reformat my drive or can I get the data back?
>
> Please help!!!
>
> Thank you,
> Michael

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSb2Vk?=

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
Thanx Richard good to know that the data should be there.
So I assume that this is a bug in the Vista installation!
MS should pay for a version of Easy Recovery...Gosh look at those prices!!!

I will try to figure something out.

Thanx again :-)
Michael

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> No, your drive has not been reformatted. Nor has the information likely been
> lost (at this time). The partitions tables have gone missing so it appears
> to the operating system as a new drive, without containing any partitions or
> information.
>
> I have been 100% successful in recovering data from such drives using Easy
> Recovery professional. There is a special module within the program for
> recovery from RAW disks - and it works.
>
> The program is not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. How much is
> your data worth?
>
> See here: www.ontrack.com
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Michael Roed" <michael.roed@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have just installed Vista on my computer with success. But I have a
> >second
> > harddrive (both are S-ATA) which I did not do anything to when installing
> > Vista. And now when I click on this drive, the D-drive, it says it needs
> > be formated. And in diskmanager it says it is RAW!
> >
> > What is this and how did it happen? Is this a major bug in the Vista
> > installation? Did it reformat my drive or can I get the data back?
> >
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Michael

andy

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:16:01 -0700, Michael Roed
<michael.roed@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have just installed Vista on my computer with success. But I have a second
>harddrive (both are S-ATA) which I did not do anything to when installing
>Vista. And now when I click on this drive, the D-drive, it says it needs to
>be formated. And in diskmanager it says it is RAW!
>
>What is this and how did it happen? Is this a major bug in the Vista
>installation? Did it reformat my drive or can I get the data back?

Is the disk basic or dynamic?

>Please help!!!
>
>Thank you,
>Michael

=?Utf-8?B?ZWxsaXNmYWl0aA==?=

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
does this mean if I have a dual core procesor that I will have this problem
also??

Thanks

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> No, your drive has not been reformatted. Nor has the information likely been
> lost (at this time). The partitions tables have gone missing so it appears
> to the operating system as a new drive, without containing any partitions or
> information.
>
> I have been 100% successful in recovering data from such drives using Easy
> Recovery professional. There is a special module within the program for
> recovery from RAW disks - and it works.
>
> The program is not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. How much is
> your data worth?
>
> See here: www.ontrack.com
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Michael Roed" <michael.roed@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have just installed Vista on my computer with success. But I have a
> >second
> > harddrive (both are S-ATA) which I did not do anything to when installing
> > Vista. And now when I click on this drive, the D-drive, it says it needs
> > be formated. And in diskmanager it says it is RAW!
> >
> > What is this and how did it happen? Is this a major bug in the Vista
> > installation? Did it reformat my drive or can I get the data back?
> >
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Michael

Don

Richard Urban wrote:
> No, your drive has not been reformatted. Nor has the information likely
> been lost (at this time). The partitions tables have gone missing...

Any idea how/why that might have happened?

Richard Urban

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
I have no idea. It happened to me 4 years ago.

I was dual booting Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Each O/S was on it's own
partition on drive 1, and was hidden from the other operating system.

I had 4 hard drives in the computer. I was up in Win2K for a few hours and
decided to reboot into Windows XP. I initiated a shutdown. Everyone knows
that a normal shutdown takes a few seconds. This time the exit from Win2K
was instantaneous - less than a second. I knew immediately that something
had gone wrong. I rebooted into Windows XP and found that my 2nd, 3rd and
4th hard drive had gone RAW.

Anyway, using EasyRecovery Professional I was able to save everything, and I
do mean "everything", off of those three hard drives.

This has not happened to me since - even though I am running on the same
computer with the same basic hardware. So, I would not be able to claim a
hardware fault. I ran with Win2K and Windows XP for another 3 1/2 years
without any problem - so I can't say it was a system related condition. Is
there a virus, trojan or worm that can cause this? Who knows. But, I hope I
never experience the trauma again.

--

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> No, your drive has not been reformatted. Nor has the information likely
>> been lost (at this time). The partitions tables have gone missing...

> Any idea how/why that might have happened?

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSb2Vk?=

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
Both were basic. Nothing speciel about them in anyway. Only one partition on
each drive.

"andy" wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:16:01 -0700, Michael Roed
> <michael.roed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have just installed Vista on my computer with success. But I have a second
> >harddrive (both are S-ATA) which I did not do anything to when installing
> >Vista. And now when I click on this drive, the D-drive, it says it needs to
> >be formated. And in diskmanager it says it is RAW!
> >
> >What is this and how did it happen? Is this a major bug in the Vista
> >installation? Did it reformat my drive or can I get the data back?

> Is the disk basic or dynamic?
>

> >Please help!!!
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Michael

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBSb2Vk?=

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
I wasn't even trying to do a dualboot. I was just upgrading my XP Pro using
the Vista install wizard. I made a clean install instead of making a real
upgrade where my settings are kept, so I really don't understand why this did
happen and I think that I will recommend everyone to unplug all other
harddrives when doing this upgrade. I guess it can't happen if you do that
and Vista will find your other harddrives when you plug them in later?!

But EasyRecover did the trick for me also! Just beware that you must use
another harddrive with enough space to recover the data to. It does not fix
the harddrive in a way so you just keep running like old times. You ave to
format the drive after recovering and move the data back!

Thanks for you help :-)

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> I have no idea. It happened to me 4 years ago.
>
> I was dual booting Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Each O/S was on it's own
> partition on drive 1, and was hidden from the other operating system.
>
> I had 4 hard drives in the computer. I was up in Win2K for a few hours and
> decided to reboot into Windows XP. I initiated a shutdown. Everyone knows
> that a normal shutdown takes a few seconds. This time the exit from Win2K
> was instantaneous - less than a second. I knew immediately that something
> had gone wrong. I rebooted into Windows XP and found that my 2nd, 3rd and
> 4th hard drive had gone RAW.
>
> Anyway, using EasyRecovery Professional I was able to save everything, and I
> do mean "everything", off of those three hard drives.
>
> This has not happened to me since - even though I am running on the same
> computer with the same basic hardware. So, I would not be able to claim a
> hardware fault. I ran with Win2K and Windows XP for another 3 1/2 years
> without any problem - so I can't say it was a system related condition. Is
> there a virus, trojan or worm that can cause this? Who knows. But, I hope I
> never experience the trauma again.
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Richard Urban wrote:
> >> No, your drive has not been reformatted. Nor has the information likely
> >> been lost (at this time). The partitions tables have gone missing...

> > Any idea how/why that might have happened?

Richard Urban

Re: Second harddrive cannot be read after installing Vista
Glad you got it sorted Michael. BTW, EasyRecovery Professional has paid for
itself over the years. I have used it to recover files from many computers,
at a fee of course.