Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2009
marvis
 

Posts: n/a
Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64

I am attempting to upgrade from XP Professional 64 Bit to Vista Ultimate
64 bit.

I dowloaded the upgrade software from the Microsoft digital locker and
I get the following error when I attempt to run the install.

"This application has failed to start because the application
configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
problem."


--
marvis
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2009
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64
Check the following for detailed instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795.

Following is quoted from above site:

"Windows XP Professional x64 users can purchase an upgrade license for the
64-bit version of Windows Vista. However, they must perform a clean
installation of the operating system."

"marvis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:4fe686927dc064455d5502c98a79c094@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> I am attempting to upgrade from XP Professional 64 Bit to Vista Ultimate
> 64 bit.
>
> I dowloaded the upgrade software from the Microsoft digital locker and
> I get the following error when I attempt to run the install.
>
> "This application has failed to start because the application
> configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
> problem."
>
>
> --
> marvis



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2009
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64
AJR--

I'm not sure why they have to perform a clean install of the OS, but in
fairness I haven't upgraded XP to Vista. What I did do today though is
upgrade an XP 32 bit to a Win 7 32 bit and an XP 64 bit to a Win 7 64 bit by
putting in the DVD while in Windows XP>setup>Upgrade. The Upgrade takes
about twice as long as the 15 minute clean install of Win 7 in my
experience.

CH

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eY2f1z8sJHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Check the following for detailed instructions:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795.
>
> Following is quoted from above site:
>
> "Windows XP Professional x64 users can purchase an upgrade license for the
> 64-bit version of Windows Vista. However, they must perform a clean
> installation of the operating system."
>
> "marvis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> news:4fe686927dc064455d5502c98a79c094@nntp-gateway.com...
>>
>> I am attempting to upgrade from XP Professional 64 Bit to Vista Ultimate
>> 64 bit.
>>
>> I dowloaded the upgrade software from the Microsoft digital locker and
>> I get the following error when I attempt to run the install.
>>
>> "This application has failed to start because the application
>> configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
>> problem."
>>
>>
>> --
>> marvis

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2009
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64
Correction, I was able to upgrade from the Vista 32 bit to a Win 7 64 bit
on the PC that Vista 32 bit came with, and from a Vista 32 bit to a Win 7 32
bit on the other box. Formatting was not necessary in any instance, and I
have been upgrading through different builds of Win 7 and I did not format.
The only time I have formatted was to do a clean install on one box. I have
never had to perform a "clean install" as part of an upgrade.

CH

"Chad Harris" <Win 7@YesWeCan.net> wrote in message
news:#jctE4$sJHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> AJR--
>
> I'm not sure why they have to perform a clean install of the OS, but in
> fairness I haven't upgraded XP to Vista. What I did do today though is
> upgrade an XP 32 bit to a Win 7 32 bit and an XP 64 bit to a Win 7 64 bit
> by putting in the DVD while in Windows XP>setup>Upgrade. The Upgrade
> takes about twice as long as the 15 minute clean install of Win 7 in my
> experience.
>
> CH
>
> "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:eY2f1z8sJHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Check the following for detailed instructions:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795.
>>
>> Following is quoted from above site:
>>
>> "Windows XP Professional x64 users can purchase an upgrade license for
>> the 64-bit version of Windows Vista. However, they must perform a clean
>> installation of the operating system."
>>
>> "marvis" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:4fe686927dc064455d5502c98a79c094@nntp-gateway.com...
>>>
>>> I am attempting to upgrade from XP Professional 64 Bit to Vista Ultimate
>>> 64 bit.
>>>
>>> I dowloaded the upgrade software from the Microsoft digital locker and
>>> I get the following error when I attempt to run the install.
>>>
>>> "This application has failed to start because the application
>>> configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this
>>> problem."
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> marvis

>>
>>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2009
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64
Although there is an upgrade path Vista to Win 7 - there will be no upgrade
path for XP to win 7. However the User State Migration Tool Kit (Microsoft
Deployment Tool Kit 2010) can be used to leave intact (in original
locations) XP user files and application settings when installing Win 7.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2009
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64
Do you mean that any application registry settings from XP will be
transferred to Win7 or just that any application settings kept in the
application programs
XP program files will be left intact?

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eCnHJoXtJHA.4324@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Although there is an upgrade path Vista to Win 7 - there will be no
> upgrade path for XP to win 7. However the User State Migration Tool Kit
> (Microsoft Deployment Tool Kit 2010) can be used to leave intact (in
> original locations) XP user files and application settings when
> installing Win 7.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2009
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64
AJR--

Right now, you can upgrade from XP to Windows 7 if you have a full Win 7
DVD without a clean install. I did this yesterday. I guess you're referring
to what might be in the future with Win 7 RTM. Articles I've seen confirm
this:

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...s_7_a_cla.html

Upgrade from XP to Win 7 Still Murky (Ars Technica)

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...ed-to-know.ars

I find it a little hard to understand though, if I upgraded easily from XP
to a build that was very very close to RC, (without a clean install and with
my settings perfectly intact--Win 7 won't let you install Google Desktop but
because it was on my original XP it came right along with my upgrade to Win
7), how or why they would change it between this build and RTM. If you have
a link for that info, I'd appreciate reading it. From an economic
standpoint, it would seem since MSFT didn't sell as much Vista as
anticipated, they would want to get Win 7 on every posssible box which would
include an upgrade path to XP.

I haven't drilled what will be the licensing scheme for Win 7 if it's
announced.

CH

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eCnHJoXtJHA.4324@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Although there is an upgrade path Vista to Win 7 - there will be no
> upgrade path for XP to win 7. However the User State Migration Tool Kit
> (Microsoft Deployment Tool Kit 2010) can be used to leave intact (in
> original locations) XP user files and application settings when
> installing Win 7.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2009
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem upgrading from XP 64 to Vista Ultimate 64
AFAIK it is not a technical issue. It is a revenue issue just like you can
not use an upgrade license to upgrade to Vista from Window 98.

"Chad Harris" <Win7@yes_she_can.net> wrote in message
news:e3vTDabtJHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> AJR--
>
> Right now, you can upgrade from XP to Windows 7 if you have a full Win 7
> DVD without a clean install. I did this yesterday. I guess you're
> referring to what might be in the future with Win 7 RTM. Articles I've
> seen confirm this:
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre...s_7_a_cla.html
>
> Upgrade from XP to Win 7 Still Murky (Ars Technica)
>
> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...ed-to-know.ars
>
> I find it a little hard to understand though, if I upgraded easily from XP
> to a build that was very very close to RC, (without a clean install and
> with my settings perfectly intact--Win 7 won't let you install Google
> Desktop but because it was on my original XP it came right along with my
> upgrade to Win 7), how or why they would change it between this build and
> RTM. If you have a link for that info, I'd appreciate reading it. From
> an economic standpoint, it would seem since MSFT didn't sell as much Vista
> as anticipated, they would want to get Win 7 on every posssible box which
> would include an upgrade path to XP.
>
> I haven't drilled what will be the licensing scheme for Win 7 if it's
> announced.
>
> CH
>
> "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:eCnHJoXtJHA.4324@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Although there is an upgrade path Vista to Win 7 - there will be no
>> upgrade path for XP to win 7. However the User State Migration Tool Kit
>> (Microsoft Deployment Tool Kit 2010) can be used to leave intact (in
>> original locations) XP user files and application settings when
>> installing Win 7.

>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading from vista home to ultimate problem david microsoft.public.windowsupdate 19 07-29-2008 16:11
Re: Upgrading from vista home to ultimate problem PA Bear [MS MVP] microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 17 07-29-2008 16:11
Performance problem after upgrading from home to ultimate masterswipe microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 5 03-13-2008 10:59
Problem Upgrading from Home Prem to Ultimate Boxcard microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 12-28-2007 05:20
Upgrading From Home Premium to Ultimate Problem Cathie Coover microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 07-22-2007 03:45




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:07.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120