Vista Format

JamesJ

Vista Format
I've noticed some files on my hard drive and the Windows folder is reported
as being created in 2006.
Since 2006 I have formatted my hard drive 3 times using the Vista setup.
I know for a fact that the last time I formatted and reinstalled was January
2009.
Can someone explain why these files and the Windows folder shows an earlier
date??
When selecting the Format command during setup does Windows actually remove
everything form the hard drive? I have noticed that the format doesn't take
very long, at least
not half as long as it used to with earlier versions of Windows.
If Windows doesn't actually remove everything form one's hard drive, can
someone suggest
some 3rd part software that will format a hard drive?

Thanks,
James

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Format
"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed some files on my hard drive and the Windows folder is
> reported as being created in 2006.
> Since 2006 I have formatted my hard drive 3 times using the Vista setup.
> I know for a fact that the last time I formatted and reinstalled was
> January 2009.
> Can someone explain why these files and the Windows folder shows an
> earlier date??
> When selecting the Format command during setup does Windows actually
> remove
> everything form the hard drive? I have noticed that the format doesn't
> take very long, at least
> not half as long as it used to with earlier versions of Windows.
> If Windows doesn't actually remove everything form one's hard drive, can
> someone suggest
> some 3rd part software that will format a hard drive?
>
> Thanks,
> James

They are reported as being created in 2006 because that was the creation
year, and whether one installs during 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009, doesn't
alter the fact..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

JamesJ

Re: Vista Format
I see. That's the creation date on the installation disc.

Thanks,
James

>I see. That's the creation date on the installation disc.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> I've noticed some files on my hard drive and the Windows folder is
>>> reported as being created in 2006.
>>> Since 2006 I have formatted my hard drive 3 times using the Vista setup.
>>> I know for a fact that the last time I formatted and reinstalled was
>>> January 2009.
>>> Can someone explain why these files and the Windows folder shows an
>>> earlier date??
>>> When selecting the Format command during setup does Windows actually
>>> remove
>>> everything form the hard drive? I have noticed that the format doesn't
>>> take very long, at least
>>> not half as long as it used to with earlier versions of Windows.
>>> If Windows doesn't actually remove everything form one's hard drive, can
>>> someone suggest
>>> some 3rd part software that will format a hard drive?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James

>> They are reported as being created in 2006 because that was the creation
>> year, and whether one installs during 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009, doesn't
>> alter the fact..
>>

>> --
>>
>> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Yes

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Patrick Keenan

Re: Vista Format
"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I see. That's the creation date on the installation disc.

Yes. In addition, some developers use the date and time stamps to identify
build versions.

A support rep, for example, might (perhaps more in the past) ask you for the
date of a particular file to determine exactly what software version is in
use.

> Thanks,
> James
>
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>> I've noticed some files on my hard drive and the Windows folder is
>>> reported as being created in 2006.
>>> Since 2006 I have formatted my hard drive 3 times using the Vista setup.
>>> I know for a fact that the last time I formatted and reinstalled was
>>> January 2009.
>>> Can someone explain why these files and the Windows folder shows an
>>> earlier date??
>>> When selecting the Format command during setup does Windows actually
>>> remove
>>> everything form the hard drive? I have noticed that the format doesn't
>>> take very long, at least
>>> not half as long as it used to with earlier versions of Windows.
>>> If Windows doesn't actually remove everything form one's hard drive, can
>>> someone suggest
>>> some 3rd part software that will format a hard drive?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> James

>> They are reported as being created in 2006 because that was the creation
>> year, and whether one installs during 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009, doesn't
>> alter the fact..
>>

>> --
>>
>> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Dave Warren

Re: Vista Format
In message <u7Og8fKuJHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "Patrick Keenan"
<test@dev.null> was claimed to have wrote:

>"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>>I see. That's the creation date on the installation disc.

>Yes. In addition, some developers use the date and time stamps to identify
>build versions.
>
>A support rep, for example, might (perhaps more in the past) ask you for the
>date of a particular file to determine exactly what software version is in
>use.

If nothing else, it's a handy way to make sure users aren't lying