How - Set up a R/W folder in a Vista operated Laptop for home network

User66

How - Set up a R/W folder in a Vista operated Laptop for home network
From our Laptop (running Vista), in our Home Network (wired), we can find
all PCs under NetBIOS group list (although PCs are using XP Pro). From the
Laptop we can view other PCs network drives and folders, and get files and
folders transferred. We made sure that one folder in the Laptop has
permissions to view and read/write.

But none of the other PCs can enter the Laptop, although they can see the
Laptop on the network. All of the PCs & the Laptop are within same network.

Are there any special setups that I am not following for the Laptop?
Appreciate help.

Rick Rogers

Re: How - Set up a R/W folder in a Vista operated Laptop for home network
Hi,

Open the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel, you need to ensure
that both Network Discovery and File Sharing are enabled.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"User66" <User66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> From our Laptop (running Vista), in our Home Network (wired), we can find
> all PCs under NetBIOS group list (although PCs are using XP Pro). From
> the Laptop we can view other PCs network drives and folders, and get files
> and folders transferred. We made sure that one folder in the Laptop has
> permissions to view and read/write.
>
> But none of the other PCs can enter the Laptop, although they can see the
> Laptop on the network. All of the PCs & the Laptop are within same
> network.
>
> Are there any special setups that I am not following for the Laptop?
> Appreciate help.

User66

> Hi,
>
> Open the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel, you need to
> ensure that both Network Discovery and File Sharing are enabled.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Sometime we forget the simple procedures and remember the complicated one
(getting too old !).

Yes we had the 'Network Discovery' and File Sharing' set properly on both
side but, forgot to work on the step 'Password protected sharing', and to
turn it 'Off', to let other users enter the 'Public' folder of the Laptop
running Vista.

Apparently, Vista wants to be more secure and as a by product, we make
simple mistakes more often.

File transfer is working OK now. We can transfer files back and forth to all
users in our group.

Thank you so much. Appreciate your quick response and help.