Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit

whudunitt

Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit

I recently purchased a Laptop which has the Vista Home Premium 64bit OS
Pre-Installed.

Can I install the XP Pro 32 bit OS on my Laptop or does it have to be a
64 bit XP OS?

Thanks.

--
whudunitt
peter

Re: Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit
You can install whatever you like
So long as you realize that the Warranty will be gone and maybe the
manufacturer of your
Laptop will NOT have XP drivers available...have you looked??

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"whudunitt" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I recently purchased a Laptop which has the Vista Home Premium 64bit OS
> Pre-Installed.
>
> Can I install the XP Pro 32 bit OS on my Laptop or does it have to be a
> 64 bit XP OS?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> whudunitt

Malke

Re: Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit
whudunitt wrote:

> I recently purchased a Laptop which has the Vista Home Premium 64bit OS
> Pre-Installed.
>
> Can I install the XP Pro 32 bit OS on my Laptop or does it have to be a
> 64 bit XP OS?

Yes, you can install a 32-bit operating system on that laptop. See below for
general information about replacing Vista with XP:

On an OEM (HP, Sony, etc.) computer:

1. Go to the OEM's website and look for XP drivers for your specific model
computer. If there are no XP drivers, then you can't install XP. End of
story. If there are drivers, download them and store on a CD-R or USB
thumbdrive; you'll need them after you install XP.

2. Check with the OEM - either from their tech support website or by calling
them - to see if you will void your warranty if you do this. If you will
void the warranty, you make the decision.

3. If the OEM does support XP on the machine, call them and see if you can
have downgrade rights and have them send you an XP restore disk. This will
be far the easiest and best way of getting XP on the machine.

4. If XP is supported on the machine but the OEM doesn't have an XP restore
disk for you, understand that you'll need to purchase a retail copy of XP
from your favorite online or brick/mortar store.

5. Also understand that you will need to do a clean install of XP so if you
have any data you want, back it up first.

6. If none of the above is applicable to you because you can't run XP on
that machine (see Item #1 above), return the computer and purchase one
running XP instead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

whudunitt

Re: Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit

Thx for that information.

I am not looking for replacing Vista with XP. I intend to keep both XP
(32 bit) and Vista (64 bit) OS running on the laptop (Dual boot) on
separate Hard Drives.

Also, the processor is a 64 bit processor? Will I still be able to
install a 32 bit OS System.

I have checked the Manufacturer's Website (Dell) and the site does have
drivers for XP 32 bit.

--
whudunitt
David B.

Re: Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit
Yes you will.

> Thx for that information.
>
> I am not looking for replacing Vista with XP. I intend to keep both XP
> (32 bit) and Vista (64 bit) OS running on the laptop (Dual boot) on
> separate Hard Drives.
>
> Also, the processor is a 64 bit processor? Will I still be able to
> install a 32 bit OS System.
>
> I have checked the Manufacturer's Website (Dell) and the site does have
> drivers for XP 32 bit.
>

> --
> whudunitt

Malke

Re: Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit
whudunitt wrote:

> Thx for that information.
>
> I am not looking for replacing Vista with XP. I intend to keep both XP
> (32 bit) and Vista (64 bit) OS running on the laptop (Dual boot) on
> separate Hard Drives.
>
> Also, the processor is a 64 bit processor? Will I still be able to
> install a 32 bit OS System.
>
> I have checked the Manufacturer's Website (Dell) and the site does have
> drivers for XP 32 bit.

I'm sorry my answer was unclear. Yes, you can install a 32-bit operating
system on your laptop. It doesn't matter that the processor supports 64-bit
operating systems.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

R. C. White

Re: Vista 64 bit and XP 32 bit
Hi, whudunitt.

Yes, as the others have said, you can add 32-bit WinXP to 64-bit Vista on
your 64-bit hardware. It's kind of like carrying just one gallon of water
in a 2-gallon bucket. You obviously can't carry 2 gallons in a 1-gallon
bucket, and you can't install a 64-bit OS on 32-bit hardware - but you knew
that. :^}

Your problem is not with the ability to do what you want, but with the
difficulty of getting it done. The Golden Rule of dual-booting is to always
install the newest OS last. When you add Vista to a WinXP installation,
Vista Setup knows just how to handle WinXP and will create the dual-boot
menu automatically, after adding the Vista startup files alongside WinXP's.
But WinXP never heard of Vista, so its Setup program has no idea of what to
do when you try to add it to a computer that has Vista already installed.
You will have to "clean up" the boot-up files after adding WinXP, probably
by booting from the Vista DVD-ROM and having it Repair the startup files.

The usual dual-boot rules apply, of course, so you will need to have a
separate partition - or enough room to let Setup create one.

Now that your "can I" question is answered, if you need "how-to"
instructions, please post back.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA