Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store

Rossco

Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
I am running win xp 32 and downloaded vista 64 from the microsoft store.

I have 3 files,

Vista_HomePremium_SP1_64bit_English_Upgrade_Downlo ad_Part1_66I-01937.exe
install.wim
boot.wim

running the .exe file creates and populates a folder called 'Vista' then
results in the following error,

**********
Windows Vista Setup Preparation
Can not extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please ensure that
you can create files and folders in the same folder where VistaSetupPrep.exe
was downloaded.
For product support return to your Digital Locker and view Purchase History
to click on the support link for Windows Vista.
**********

As I can't run the 64 bit upgrade from 32 bit XP I need to make a bootable
cd from Microsoft give no information regarding installation. From searching
the web I am lead to believe there is no way to make a bootable dvd from
these files.

Can anyone provide any information?
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
To go from 32bit to 64bit you have to boot from a full version Vista 64bit
DVD, and do a clean install.

You can not do it from within running XP 32bit OS.
--
Mad Mike

"Rossco" wrote:

> I am running win xp 32 and downloaded vista 64 from the microsoft store.
>
> I have 3 files,
>
> Vista_HomePremium_SP1_64bit_English_Upgrade_Downlo ad_Part1_66I-01937.exe
> install.wim
> boot.wim
>
> running the .exe file creates and populates a folder called 'Vista' then
> results in the following error,
>
> **********
> Windows Vista Setup Preparation
> Can not extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please ensure that
> you can create files and folders in the same folder where VistaSetupPrep.exe
> was downloaded.
> For product support return to your Digital Locker and view Purchase History
> to click on the support link for Windows Vista.
> **********
>
> As I can't run the 64 bit upgrade from 32 bit XP I need to make a bootable
> cd from Microsoft give no information regarding installation. From searching
> the web I am lead to believe there is no way to make a bootable dvd from
> these files.
>
> Can anyone provide any information?

Curious

Re: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
Rossco,
You have to make an ISO DVD disk which you can then boot and then you have
to use it to upgrade/replace the 32 bit OS you are upgrading from from since
you have an upgrade license and not a full version license

> To go from 32bit to 64bit you have to boot from a full version Vista 64bit
> DVD, and do a clean install.
>
> You can not do it from within running XP 32bit OS.
> --
> Mad Mike
>

> "Rossco" wrote:
>
>> I am running win xp 32 and downloaded vista 64 from the microsoft store.
>>
>> I have 3 files,
>>
>> Vista_HomePremium_SP1_64bit_English_Upgrade_Downlo ad_Part1_66I-01937.exe
>> install.wim
>> boot.wim
>>
>> running the .exe file creates and populates a folder called 'Vista' then
>> results in the following error,
>>
>> **********
>> Windows Vista Setup Preparation
>> Can not extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please ensure
>> that
>> you can create files and folders in the same folder where
>> VistaSetupPrep.exe
>> was downloaded.
>> For product support return to your Digital Locker and view Purchase
>> History
>> to click on the support link for Windows Vista.
>> **********
>>
>> As I can't run the 64 bit upgrade from 32 bit XP I need to make a
>> bootable
>> cd from Microsoft give no information regarding installation. From
>> searching
>> the web I am lead to believe there is no way to make a bootable dvd from
>> these files.
>>
>> Can anyone provide any information?

Rossco

Re: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
I have burnt the contents of the folder created by vista setup preparation
but the system will not boot from this disk.

The disk contains the files,

autorun.ini
bootmgr
bootmgr.efi
setup.exe

and directories,
boot
efi
sources
support
upgrade

Is there any way in which to make this dvd bootable?

Thanks,

Rossco

"Curious" wrote:

> Rossco,
> You have to make an ISO DVD disk which you can then boot and then you have
> to use it to upgrade/replace the 32 bit OS you are upgrading from from since
> you have an upgrade license and not a full version license
>
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To go from 32bit to 64bit you have to boot from a full version Vista 64bit
> > DVD, and do a clean install.
> >
> > You can not do it from within running XP 32bit OS.
> > --
> > Mad Mike
> >

> > "Rossco" wrote:
> >
> >> I am running win xp 32 and downloaded vista 64 from the microsoft store.
> >>
> >> I have 3 files,
> >>
> >> Vista_HomePremium_SP1_64bit_English_Upgrade_Downlo ad_Part1_66I-01937.exe
> >> install.wim
> >> boot.wim
> >>
> >> running the .exe file creates and populates a folder called 'Vista' then
> >> results in the following error,
> >>
> >> **********
> >> Windows Vista Setup Preparation
> >> Can not extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please ensure
> >> that
> >> you can create files and folders in the same folder where
> >> VistaSetupPrep.exe
> >> was downloaded.
> >> For product support return to your Digital Locker and view Purchase
> >> History
> >> to click on the support link for Windows Vista.
> >> **********
> >>
> >> As I can't run the 64 bit upgrade from 32 bit XP I need to make a
> >> bootable
> >> cd from Microsoft give no information regarding installation. From
> >> searching
> >> the web I am lead to believe there is no way to make a bootable dvd from
> >> these files.
> >>
> >> Can anyone provide any information?

Curious

Re: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
Did you use a program such as ISO Image burner to make the DVD or did you
just copy the content to a DVD if not it will not boot?

"Rossco" <Rossco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have burnt the contents of the folder created by vista setup preparation
> but the system will not boot from this disk.
>
> The disk contains the files,
>
> autorun.ini
> bootmgr
> bootmgr.efi
> setup.exe
>
> and directories,
> boot
> efi
> sources
> support
> upgrade
>
> Is there any way in which to make this dvd bootable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rossco
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> Rossco,
>> You have to make an ISO DVD disk which you can then boot and then you
>> have
>> to use it to upgrade/replace the 32 bit OS you are upgrading from from
>> since
>> you have an upgrade license and not a full version license
>>
>> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > To go from 32bit to 64bit you have to boot from a full version Vista
>> > 64bit
>> > DVD, and do a clean install.
>> >
>> > You can not do it from within running XP 32bit OS.
>> > --
>> > Mad Mike

Jane C

Re: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
"Rossco" <Rossco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have burnt the contents of the folder created by vista setup preparation
> but the system will not boot from this disk.
>
> The disk contains the files,
>
> autorun.ini
> bootmgr
> bootmgr.efi
> setup.exe
>
> and directories,
> boot
> efi
> sources
> support
> upgrade
>
> Is there any way in which to make this dvd bootable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rossco

Hi Rossco,

I have not tried this, but it should work if you follow the instructions
carefully:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...nloaded-files/

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Rossco

Re: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
I just copied the files to a DVD and burnt using Nero. I've had a look at ISO
image burner. Do I not need an ISO image in order to use that? Can I make an
ISO image from the files I have?

Thanks,

Rossco

"Curious" wrote:

> Did you use a program such as ISO Image burner to make the DVD or did you
> just copy the content to a DVD if not it will not boot?
>
> "Rossco" <Rossco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have burnt the contents of the folder created by vista setup preparation
> > but the system will not boot from this disk.
> >
> > The disk contains the files,
> >
> > autorun.ini
> > bootmgr
> > bootmgr.efi
> > setup.exe
> >
> > and directories,
> > boot
> > efi
> > sources
> > support
> > upgrade
> >
> > Is there any way in which to make this dvd bootable?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rossco
> >
> > "Curious" wrote:
> >
> >> Rossco,
> >> You have to make an ISO DVD disk which you can then boot and then you
> >> have
> >> to use it to upgrade/replace the 32 bit OS you are upgrading from from
> >> since
> >> you have an upgrade license and not a full version license

Curious

Re: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
You need to make the ISO image from the download you received.

> I just copied the files to a DVD and burnt using Nero. I've had a look at
> ISO
> image burner. Do I not need an ISO image in order to use that? Can I make
> an
> ISO image from the files I have?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rossco
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> Did you use a program such as ISO Image burner to make the DVD or did you
>> just copy the content to a DVD if not it will not boot?
>>
>> "Rossco" <Rossco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have burnt the contents of the folder created by vista setup
>> > preparation
>> > but the system will not boot from this disk.
>> >
>> > The disk contains the files,
>> >
>> > autorun.ini
>> > bootmgr
>> > bootmgr.efi
>> > setup.exe
>> >
>> > and directories,
>> > boot
>> > efi
>> > sources
>> > support
>> > upgrade
>> >
>> > Is there any way in which to make this dvd bootable?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Rossco

Rossco

Re: Vista 64 Download from Microsoft Store
Thanks Jane C,

I was able to make a bootable DVD using those steps and have carried out a
successful clean install of vista 64 over xp 32.

Microsoft have been no help whatsoever in resolving this and the lack of
information from them before purchasing the download and the fact it came
with no instructions is very disappointing.

Thanks,

Rossco

> Thanks Jane C,
>
> I was able to make a bootable DVD using those steps and have carried out a
> successful clean install of vista 64 over xp 32.
>
> Microsoft have been no help whatsoever in resolving this and the lack of
> information from them before purchasing the download and the fact it came
> with no instructions is very disappointing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rossco

Hi Rossco,

I'm glad that it worked out