Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files

sopher

Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files

I did something stupid with my system, and I really want to get it
fixed.
basically I followed this instruction to install the new theme files.

'VistaOSX '09 Uninstall by =patrickgs on deviantART'
(http://patrickgs.deviantart.com/art/...tall-100318778)

I restarted my system after the 3rd step
now my system is missing
authui.dll
browseui.dll
imageres.dll
shsvcs.dll
themeui.dll
uxtheme.dll

the files still exist in my system32 folder, just under a backup
filename

now whenever i start my system (i tried safe mood and command prompt),
it will always end up in a black screen with my white mouse pointer.

I can go into the system recovery options fine, but there no system
restore points exists.

--
sopher
sopher

Re: Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files

just one more thing, I am wondering if there is anyway that i can acess
C:\ under DOS, restart in command prompt is not working.

I know how to fix the files once i go into DOS.

--
sopher
AJR

Re: Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files
Use the repair option via cd Vista boot.
sopher

Re: Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files

I actually dont have a vista cd if that's what you mean
my laptop is HP with loaded system.
I do have recovery disks, but that'll restore my laptop to its original
factory condition..

--
sopher
SIW2

Re: Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files

Hi,

Are you able to tap F8 at the end of POST and select "Last Known Good
Configuration" ?

--
SIW2

SIW2;998755 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you able to tap F8 at the end of POST and select "Last Known Good
> Configuration" ?

i tried that too, still the same black screen with my white mouse
pointer > <

--
sopher
AJR

Re: Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files
Check the HP documentation - I have an HP Pavilion and the restore feature
provides for only reinstalling and repair of the OS rather than a full
restore.

AJR;998776 Wrote:
> Check the HP documentation - I have an HP Pavilion and the restore
> feature
> provides for only reinstalling and repair of the OS rather than a full
> restore.

thats great!
I check and there are..
system restore - restore computer
factory reset - restore system

which one is it?

--
sopher
Rick Rogers

Re: Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files
There's no DOS in an NT-based system. WinME was the last version of Windows
to have an underlying DOS layer. In Vista or XP, one works from a recovery
console by booting the installation disk.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sopher" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> just one more thing, I am wondering if there is anyway that i can acess
> C:\ under DOS, restart in command prompt is not working.
>
> I know how to fix the files once i go into DOS.
>

> --
> sopher

AJR

Re: Cannot start vista because I messed around with system files
Most likely System Restore - check HP website for more information.