User Acct.s, Downloaded software

Piedmont

User Acct.s, Downloaded software
I'm trying to set up a new Vista PC and am confused about Admin. account and
user acct.s, as far as for example, I downloaded Google Chrome while in
Admin.account. It works and the short cuts are there but I cannot figure out
how to get the shortcuts to the other user accounts, I did search and find
the chrome.exe in, "C:\Master
Account\AppData\Local\Google\Application\Chrome.ex e."

I then went into 'share' and made this location shared and redid them as
co-owner,

I still cannot find the chrome.exe in the individual user accounts in order
to open it up.

Piedmont

Rick Rogers

Re: User Acct.s, Downloaded software
Hi,

Shared files/folders for Vista are set up under C:\Users\Public, but this is
not where software should be installed.

Programs installed under a local user are only available to that user
account. Programs installed for all users should be installed to the
C:\Program Files directory. When the user initiates it under their profile,
the appropriate subfolders should be created in the user's appdata
directory.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Piedmont" <Ask@Me.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to set up a new Vista PC and am confused about Admin. account
> and user acct.s, as far as for example, I downloaded Google Chrome while
> in Admin.account. It works and the short cuts are there but I cannot
> figure out how to get the shortcuts to the other user accounts, I did
> search and find the chrome.exe in, "C:\Master
> Account\AppData\Local\Google\Application\Chrome.ex e."
>
> I then went into 'share' and made this location shared and redid them as
> co-owner,
>
> I still cannot find the chrome.exe in the individual user accounts in
> order to open it up.
>
> Piedmont

Piedmont

Re: User Acct.s, Downloaded software
Thank you for your tips, I have one more question, I don't know what you
mean by, " When the user initiates it "

> Hi,
>
> Shared files/folders for Vista are set up under C:\Users\Public, but this
> is not where software should be installed.
>
> Programs installed under a local user are only available to that user
> account. Programs installed for all users should be installed to the
> C:\Program Files directory. When the user initiates it under their
> profile, the appropriate subfolders should be created in the user's
> appdata directory.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Piedmont" <Ask@Me.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to set up a new Vista PC and am confused about Admin. account
>> and user acct.s, as far as for example, I downloaded Google Chrome while
>> in Admin.account. It works and the short cuts are there but I cannot
>> figure out how to get the shortcuts to the other user accounts, I did
>> search and find the chrome.exe in, "C:\Master
>> Account\AppData\Local\Google\Application\Chrome.ex e."
>>
>> I then went into 'share' and made this location shared and redid them as
>> co-owner,
>>
>> I still cannot find the chrome.exe in the individual user accounts in
>> order to open it up.
>>
>> Piedmont

Piedmont

Re: User Acct.s, Downloaded software
Next, When in my user account, I went to, C:\Program Files, no where can I
locate the Chrome files.

> Hi,
>
> Shared files/folders for Vista are set up under C:\Users\Public, but this
> is not where software should be installed.
>
> Programs installed under a local user are only available to that user
> account. Programs installed for all users should be installed to the
> C:\Program Files directory. When the user initiates it under their
> profile, the appropriate subfolders should be created in the user's
> appdata directory.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Piedmont" <Ask@Me.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to set up a new Vista PC and am confused about Admin. account
>> and user acct.s, as far as for example, I downloaded Google Chrome while
>> in Admin.account. It works and the short cuts are there but I cannot
>> figure out how to get the shortcuts to the other user accounts, I did
>> search and find the chrome.exe in, "C:\Master
>> Account\AppData\Local\Google\Application\Chrome.ex e."
>>
>> I then went into 'share' and made this location shared and redid them as
>> co-owner,
>>
>> I still cannot find the chrome.exe in the individual user accounts in
>> order to open it up.
>>
>> Piedmont

Rick Rogers

Re: User Acct.s, Downloaded software
Runs it for the first time.

--

> Thank you for your tips, I have one more question, I don't know what you
> mean by, " When the user initiates it "

>> Hi,
>>
>> Shared files/folders for Vista are set up under C:\Users\Public, but this
>> is not where software should be installed.
>>
>> Programs installed under a local user are only available to that user
>> account. Programs installed for all users should be installed to the
>> C:\Program Files directory. When the user initiates it under their
>> profile, the appropriate subfolders should be created in the user's
>> appdata directory.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Piedmont" <Ask@Me.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to set up a new Vista PC and am confused about Admin. account
>>> and user acct.s, as far as for example, I downloaded Google Chrome while
>>> in Admin.account. It works and the short cuts are there but I cannot
>>> figure out how to get the shortcuts to the other user accounts, I did
>>> search and find the chrome.exe in, "C:\Master
>>> Account\AppData\Local\Google\Application\Chrome.ex e."
>>>
>>> I then went into 'share' and made this location shared and redid them as
>>> co-owner,
>>>
>>> I still cannot find the chrome.exe in the individual user accounts in
>>> order to open it up.
>>>
>>> Piedmont

Rick Rogers

Re: User Acct.s, Downloaded software
Hi,

32 or 64 bit installation? If the latter, check under C:\Program Files(x86)