i have no clue.

munk13

i have no clue.

so I have a problem i cant figure out.

I am running two computers, both with vista ultimate.

one with ultimateX64
an AMD Phenom2 940.
on an asus crosshair deluxe.
8 GIGS of RAM
dual nvidia EVGA 285 GTX.

the second one i just built.
usuing vista ultimateX32
AMD athalon AX2 6400+
ASUS 'M2N32' (M@N32) SLI DELUXE.
4 GIGS of RAM

well, I installed/finished the 32 bit version just last week, and now i
keep getting a pop up telling me I need to activate windows and change
my cd key. I originally bought ultimate a year ago. how ever I do not
want to go out and spend another 300$

the windows website tells me I can buy another key ( I assume for less)
but everytime I plug in my CD key, I am told that the copy of windows i
have is a server copy.

I dont know if any of this is making sense, its late. Any advice would
be very very helpful.

--
munk13
Jonathan Harker

Re: i have no clue.
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:48:35 -0500, munk13 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>so I have a problem i cant figure out.
>
>I am running two computers, both with vista ultimate.
>
>one with ultimateX64
>an AMD Phenom2 940.
>on an asus crosshair deluxe.
>8 GIGS of RAM
>dual nvidia EVGA 285 GTX.
>
>the second one i just built.
>usuing vista ultimateX32
>AMD athalon AX2 6400+
>ASUS 'M2N32' (M@N32) SLI DELUXE.
>4 GIGS of RAM
>
>well, I installed/finished the 32 bit version just last week, and now i
>keep getting a pop up telling me I need to activate windows and change
>my cd key. I originally bought ultimate a year ago. how ever I do not
>want to go out and spend another 300$

It's not clear (to me) that you used two different copies of Ultimate.
If you used the same copy/key, then you have no choice but to purchase
a second copy.

>the windows website tells me I can buy another key ( I assume for less)
>but everytime I plug in my CD key, I am told that the copy of windows i
>have is a server copy.
>
>I dont know if any of this is making sense, its late. Any advice would
>be very very helpful.

munk13

Re: i have no clue.

ok so I have a little more information. I never installed the 32 bit
version before last week. I only bought ultimate for the 64 bit version.
In the past I had XP installed on 3 diffrent computers with one CD key.

do I need to buy another whole copy of ultimate or not?
and if not, what do I do?

--
munk13
DDW

Re: i have no clue.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:22:46 -0500, munk13 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>ok so I have a little more information. I never installed the 32 bit
>version before last week. I only bought ultimate for the 64 bit version.
>In the past I had XP installed on 3 diffrent computers with one CD key.
>
>do I need to buy another whole copy of ultimate or not?
>and if not, what do I do?

Yes, you need to buy another one. The original one you bought had
both 32 and 64 bit. You bought the right to use ONE of those, not
both.

DDW
No email please
Bruce Chambers

Re: i have no clue.
munk13 wrote:
> ok so I have a little more information. I never installed the 32 bit
> version before last week. I only bought ultimate for the 64 bit version.
> In the past I had XP installed on 3 diffrent computers with one CD key.

Unless those WinXP installations were made using an Academic ("For
Students and Teachers") License, then you were pirating two of those
installations, and were lucky enough to not get caught. (Civil fines for
copyright infringement can go as high as $50,000 per illicit copy,
should the copyright holder choose to enforce his legal rights.)

> do I need to buy another whole copy of ultimate or not?

You need to purchase a separate Vista license for each computer on
which you install it. (As long as you have multiple identical licenses,
it doesn't matter if you use the same CD for the installations, as long
as you use a different license each time.)

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP and
Vista licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has included a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

> and if not, what do I do?

If you have Vista installed on two computers, then you need to own two
licenses. Do you? If so, then you needn't buy another license. If
not, then either buy another license, or remove one of the Vista
installations.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: