Re: Product Key cannot be validated!!!!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Product Key cannot be validated!!!!
The product key affixed to your HP computer is an OEM product key.
You cannot use an OEM product key if your Vista DVD is a retail version.

HP Notebook PCs - Order Recovery Discs for Windows Vista
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...0810334&dlc=en

"Emin IPEK" <eminipek@msn.com> wrote in message news:Orl1twMqJHA.4372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
There were no option for recovery DVD creation and I later formatted the
recovery partition. And usually when you recover the system it doesn't ask
product key

If I get aVista with a new computer it must be valid with a new installation
on another HD

But when I type the product key, the Vista doesn't recognize it as a valid
key.
..
"Curious" <mailmenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> The key on the system probably can only be used with the copy of the
> recovery partition that you copied out to recovery DVDs when you first got
> the system.
>
> "Emin IPEK" <eminipek@msn.com> wrote in message
>> I had bought an HP 2133 when I was in Bahrain.
>> When I first started up the computer, Vista Business started installing,
>> probably from the Recovery partition.
>> Anyway, I am in Turkey now and I upgraded mh harddisk and wanted to
>> install Vista Business on the new harddisk.
>> Underneath my computer there is an original Microsoft sticker for the
>> product Key. During the Vista installation I typed this key but received
>> an error message that the key cannot be validated. The key starts with
>> J4CQ3-
>> What might be the reason? What is the solution? I want to use my original
>> Vista Product Key.
>> Any help will be appreciated
>> Regards
>> Emin

Mark H

Re: Product Key cannot be validated!!!!
You keep stating this in various threads, so let me ask two questions:
1) Have you ever tried it?
2) Why would MS and manufacturer assign a worthless number to be placed on
the OEM certification sticker?

Yes, a retail disk can be used to install an OEM installation, but it
requires that you call MS to get the authorization string of numbers. You
will be asked who the manufacturer of your computer is and may be asked if
this is the original machine. Be honest and you will promptly be given the
numbers needed to activate.

And, just as a note to the OP:
The PID assigned to an OEM machine from a vendor is a special vendor owned
"OEM" license which requires an additional file to work. This number and
file are automatically installed if the recovery partition/disk are used.
The OEM number on the bottom is your personal OEM number and should never
have been previously activated unless you install as you are attempting.